1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston to bid for Super Bowl LI (UPDATE: Houston lands 2017 Super Bowl!)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jet Blast, May 23, 2012.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It continues to baffle me that so many Houstonians see value in "keeping it" when it literally serves no purpose.

No one will ever marvel at Houstonian ingenuity because they see the Astrodome.

2. Victorious

Victorious Member

who cares about history? we are in the now. houston is the most diverse city in the US and one of the fastest growing cities. houston is the future.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I agree completely, and I named my first kid Campbell, so I have very fond memories of the place.

I honestly think it's a bad look for the city; they need to put it out of its misery. Life will go on...

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

how hard would it be to gut the whole thing, keep and reinforce the shell and turn it into a kick ass park/event lawn for all things NRG-related? put a place for food trucks, a hill, some cool LEDs on the roof/ceiling... add some ******* greenery to that sea of concrete for christ's sake.

1 person likes this.
  5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

they gotta do something, anything. doing nothing is the only problem.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

That would have been my cote too . Keep the roof, install a bunch of pillars, kick out the walls, and make it some sort of outdoor destination. But I think the asbestos problem lmits what they can do with it.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I figure they could abate mostly all the asbestos issue... the problem with the park would be more related to structural integrity of the structure (most of the supporting foundation is underground as well, which if you're going to gut/unearth/refill the land, it may or may not compromise some of that).

I'm sure they could do it... but then it comes down to how much will it cost, and who is paying for it. In the end, tearing it down and ensuring its done safely will still likely be the most cost-effective solution (but it's still going to be costly).

8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

From the outside...The dome looks better now than it has in years. They removed the crumbling ticket booths and spiral walk ways and gave it a power wash.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All of which did cost money... and now they want to add a fancy light show to it... all designed to distract what's potentially going on inside (Rat Super Bowl? Asbestos final four? Mold World Series?)

It really reeks of putting lipstick on a pig... but I agree that it does look "better".

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The Astrodome is still a Houston attraction. It's not an eyesore.

This is an eyesore...

There's no room in NYC for 2 Yankee stadiums. Texas Stadium is not close historically to the Dome.

Whatever they do, they can generate funds by fining criminals extra when they catch a case.

I recently paid a $50 State fee at an impound for recovering my own stolen vehicle. They said the charge was mandatory and government-based.

The crooks can easily be charged an extra fee as part of their punishment.

AW should've been upgraded. It should've been closed it down for a year if necessary and renovated. Instead, there's an open lot due to whatever.

Very embarrassing for a city to terminate its theme park. Embarrassing.

#310 Houstunna, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  11. Newlin

Newlin Member

How did the city terminate Astroworld? The city didn't own Astroworld, did it? Didn't Six Flags just choose to shut it down for business reasons? Did the city own the land or something?

As for the Dome. It needs to go. I grew up in Houston when the Dome was new and shiny. I loved that place and have a lot of great memories. But, it's just in the way next to NRG stadium. I would like to see them use that land to create something that enhances NRG stadium. Maybe a place for pre game activities, like tailgating. Maybe create something that would make NRG more attractive to the Super Bowl selection committee.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who is paying money or going out of their way to go to the Astrodome currently? How are you defining attraction? Even the Exxon building is more salvageable as it could be renovated for much needed office space. For what purpose are you renovating the Astrodome?

Huh?

But again, what they do is just as big a question as is how do you pay for it. If the idea is no good, it won't pass a vote.

The city didn't own Astroworld... and six flags had a lot of issues with continuing to manage the park, the least of which is the limited space for expansion (there's a reason why most six flags parks are out in the middle of nowhere).

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's a shame that they haven't done anything with the Astrodome, but that doesn't mean that they can't or shouldn't. Sure it would cost a lot of money, but it's an iconic Houston landmark that was built REALLY well, the structure is sound, they'd just have to remodel it into something that had a purpose.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Wait a minute...how is the Astrodome a current attraction? For who? For what? Are people traveling to Houston to drive by the Astrodome? What?

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Didn't mean literally "the city" shut it down. Whoever did, it's embarrassing it happened.

Then, on top of that.. the land isn't being used :eek:

Attractive in the sense, people who haven't seen it would drive by (even without NRG) to see it. If something was done with it, even more obvious.

Due to distance, I bet more tourist drive to see the Dome than the San Jacinto Monument.

Historic building, a Houston icon, and worldwide icon

The 8th Wonder of the World

Then move it elsewhere

How many other Six Flags Parks completely shut down?
    How many of those did nothing with the land afterwards?

Laughable and embarrassing on both counts

#315 Houstunna, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  16. ipaman

if i remember correctly part of the super bowl proposal was a renovated astrodome. how is the nfl letting them get away with that?

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This is a serious case of denial/dementia... you need to let it go, man. Nobody is flocking from anywhere to see the dome, and if they were, they wouldn't be allowed inside to take a public tour because the building is rat-infested/condemened/not suitable for public viewing.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And what is that purpose?

I understand its hard to let it go... and the building is technically paid for as is... but what the hell can you possibly do with it?

Money will be there, if its a realistic/viable cause. If there was a realistic/viable/slam-dunk idea, it likely would have been proposed by now.

19. ipaman

i would actually go if it were worth going to see. i've gone several times to the gaylord in dallas and great wolf lodge. it would be nice to have similar/closer options. i also frequent hermann park/theater for different reasons, would do the same if it were a park. as it stands it's nothing and there is no reason to go. give me a reason or get rid of it.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There was a time that people suggested that they tear down the Eiffel Tower because it served no practical purpose....till they found a purpose for it. There's numerous things that could be done with the Astrodome and many proposals have been suggested just none that have been accepted.