1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans 2016 NFL Draft Discussion

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Dubious, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He only really played 7...sorry I'm not counting the game where he threw literally 0 passes. It goes to show you that sometimes you need to take a deeper look.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They had the 2nd worst defense in the NFL last year, I think they'll be better this year but better might still be league average or below average.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

How about you take your own advice?

He had pass attempts of:

24 against KC
    27 against CHI
    42 against NE
    26 against SD
    51 against OAK
    44 against PIT
    39 against CIN
    22 against SD

Maybe I suck at counting...but that's 8 games.

#1083 rezdawg, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, the mistake was mine, I saw the 7 starts and I saw that one game had 0 passes and didn't realize the non-start was counted as the Chiefs game. Either way, pretty damn good for the first starts of his career.

Imagine if Teddy Bridgewater threw for 245 yards per game his rookie season (or ever) some here would be trying to build statues of the man (those who aren't doing so anyway).

I'm not trying to say Brock Osweiler is going to be an elite level QB because I don't think he will be, but the odds are good that he'll be a very good QB which is what the team needs.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I just want him to be a top 15 QB. My only concern is if he is not. He definitely has potential to be a top 10 QB, just as much as he has potential to be a total flop...but the risk/reward is worth it. I think with the weapons in place and the OB offense, he should put up some very good numbers.

6. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

For those Texans fans expecting a repeat AFC South division title after the team's offseason retooling on offense, a leading NFL analyst doesn't share your optimism.

NFL Media analyst Gil Brandt, best known for his role as the personnel director who helped build the Dallas Cowboys' powerhouse teams of the 1970s, has the Texans listed as his third-most vulnerable 2015 division winner heading into next season.

And while Brandt noted the Texans' free-agent additions such as quarterback Brock Osweiler and running back Lamar Miller and the offensive-minded draft that netted receivers Will Fuller and Braxton Miller and center Nick Martin while calling Bill O'Brien "one of the better coaches in the NFL," he made a rather surprising prediction for the 2016 AFC South champion.

If you expected a return to normalcy and the Colts regaining their place atop the division after Andrew Luck's return from an injury-marred 2015, guess again.

"I simply like Jacksonville more (than Houston), especially at the QB position," Brandt wrote.

He said Jacksonville did "a great job" in free agency, citing the additions of defensive end Malik Jackson from Denver, among others. He also said the drafting of defensive back Jalen Ramsey and linebacker Myles Jacks combined with finally getting last year's first-rounder Dante Fowler back after missing last season with an injury "will significantly improve the 24th-ranked defense."

"Luck and the Colts also will press for the top spot in the division, but Jacksonville has really added some serious firepower," Brandt wrote. "I think the Jags will win their first AFC South title ever."

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL see? The Jacksonville BS is just out of control. Also, despite what good Brandt has done in the past, I simply can't respect anyone that ranks defenses by yards rather than points. The Jags were the 28th ranked defense last season, not the 24th. I guess he went that route to make his hot take seem less ridiculous but it just doesn't. The Jags could significantly improve their defense and still have a terrible defense.

Of course this is the same guy who ranked Manziel as the top prospect in his class so when he misses, he REALLY misses.

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Indeed Bobby. He wasn't the only one predicting the Jaguars to be better than our Texans. And on the cool, that's okay. I was just showing Nimo that there is a few media people who thinks the Jaguars will be the alpha dog this season.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

You're right, there are a few. I still don't think it is a majority.

10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I never said majority.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Gil Brandt comes on SiriusXM NFL Radio most nights on a show called "Late Hits". If you listen to the show, you get the distinct impression that Brandt is going senile. He repeats himself, loses track of his thoughts, gets players confused with other players, etc. He's obviously a brilliant football mind, but I think his opinion should be taken with a truck full of salt.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

I said most were picking the Texans or Colts to win the division. Not all.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Great read on our draft:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/5/12/11613890/houston-texans-2016-nfl-draft-results-will-fuller-braxton-miller-speed-offensive-weapons

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you're right, Mallett is unbelievably bad.

16. Mr. Clutch

I also couldn't find stats on 25+ yard passing plays, but Mallet is the only one of our QBs who didn't have at least one 40+ yard passing play

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, nowhere near Hoyer level bad (no one is), but he was pretty bad last year.

18. Mr. Clutch

Actually, it's even worse!!!

Mallet's y/a was 5.2 in 6 games with the Texans.

The 5.8, still terrible, was with the Ravens.

That seems so unbelievably low that I had to check multiple websites to make sure it's true.

That's worse than the yards per rushing attempt for Thomas Rawls, who had 147 rushes.

Lmao wow. Without Mallet the Texans y/a was probably average.

Just for more laughs- Mallet's career y/a is 5.4

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Hoyer vs. Mallett is easily the dumbest Clutchfans debate that is somehow still alive.

They're both terrible. The end.