1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans 2013 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by 45souf, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Asian Sensation

Why waste a First round pick on another QB when you have Shwab THE ELITE?

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's going to be a long offseason. Rick Smith has done well in his last couple of Aprils, but he's going to need to be dynamite this time. We've got needs as it is, and are likely to suffer a good amount of loss in free agency. The good news is, we should pick up an extra 3rd (Mario) and one or two late rounders (Briesel/Dreesen/etc).

We're frazzled about the O-Line, but I think the starting five are set for next year and should be good as a unit. They always need time to gel. Newton and Jones are fine. Hopefully Brooks comes back a little more ready to go. Gardner, Harris, and Caldwell are lost causes in my book. Spend a pick or two for depth, depending on if Butler is in the plans going forward.

Assuming Antonio Smith is a cap casualty and Cody walks, we're absolutely going to have to spend a 1st or 2nd there. I could see them attempting to make Mitchell a starting nose (wince), but Crick simply isn't ready to start.

OLBs should be more of a depth pick, since Mercilus can step in for Barwin.

ILB is a big concern. Sharpton can't stay on the field and Ruud is a FA. James is poor and a FA, but I doubt anyone wants him more than Wade. Cushing is a question mark until he's back, and he may need a season before he's at full speed again. They need to invest a real pick here, but probably on day two.

Starting CBs are great, but depth is a major concern, especially in a league that now demands everyone carry a serious NB. The team clearly expects Brandon Harris to be that guy. Let's hope so. Regardless, we could lose three guys here and need to replace them. Maybe we get lucky on the waiver wire and don't need to waste the pick and time to develop a youngster.

Big worry has to be Quin. If we can't afford to keep him, we can't afford to bring in someone good enough to replace him. That simple. If he goes, it may be time to finally spend an early pick on a safety. My personal nightmare is Phillips telling Pancakes that he feels Keo gives them everything Quin did and more.

WRs wouldn't be a priority, even with a Walter cut...except for Posey's blown Achilles. That makes him a question mark to start the season. I don't think they're high on Martin at the position and are iffy on Jean. I also don't see this being a Day 1 pick.

TE is probably a more pressing concern. Casey may not be retained. Graham was a downgrade from Dreesen even when he did get on the field. They missed his blocking in the worst way. I would think one of the two 3rd rounders go here.

FB is possible, but as mentioned by others, it's clearly not a priority to Kubiak. He loves disguising formations with shifts, and a true FB apparently is not versatile enough for his uses.

Clamor all you want about Schaub - he's Kubiak's guy and that's that. As far as we know, Yates or Keenum is the heir apparent in his mind as well. Maybe they take a flier on Day 3, but otherwise, this isn't a priority for them.

My January guess:
    1st: DL
    2nd: ILB
    3rd: DB
    3rd: TE
    4th: OL
    5th: DL
    5/6th: OLB
    6th: DB
    7th: anything possible

#62 emjohn, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

I don't do drugs but I'd love to for you to pass that peace pipe this way LoL. The only one playing on the right side that deserves to keep his job is Brooks. Jones, Harris and the insufferable Newton need to be cut, the suck at opening up holes and Newton is only consistent at getting rag dolled in pass protection. He looked like a fat black Raggedy Ann out there getting manhandled. Jones looks lost and incredibly slow out there, I think he's gonna be a pretty serviceable center but he can't defend angles. Anytime a defensive lineman got an angle on him he had two options; hold or sack. Brooks should stay at guard, and Rick needs to draft a legit tackle no more late round bullcrap, get domeone in the second or third round. Lane Johnson from Oklahoma would be a perfect fit at right tackle. One of the best in pass protection in college football. And in the run game, his name Lane for goodness sake LoL.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm actually taking a puff or two of that pipe myself.

5. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

1st: OL
    2nd: ILB
    3rd: DB
    4th: TE
    5th: NT
    6th: FB
    7th: P

Assuming we pick up a WR in free agency

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I like your thinking. Improving o-line has a positive impact everywhere else. We can control clock and keep our defense rested.

I'm ok with Reed/Mercilus going into next year. Mercilus was 2nd among rookies in sacks. But NT needs an upgrade, someone that can punish teams for doubling Watt.

7. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

I would draft Te'o girlfriend. She is completely off the radar and covers well.

8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

ToP and a rested defense doesn't mean much when teams can make a quick strike downfield on first down when they see an LB covering someone out wide, be it RB, WR or probably even modern TEs. Quick, rangey linebackers are the new hotness, and guys like Arizona's Daryl Washington who can tackle, cover, and blitz from the inside should be the prototype the league starts to copy.

9. Livinglegend7

Livinglegend7 New Member

Texans draft needs

Should the Texans go WR in the draft in the first round?

10. MystikArkitect

We need WR, RT/RG, NT, ILB, QB in addition to hiring a competent offensive playcaller (if Mcnair doesn't want to fire Kubiak he needs to force him to hire someone who can competently call plays suited to his playmakers, much like they forced him to hire Phillips) and hiring a better special teams coach.

If Sean Payton was coaching this team, Lestar Jean and Devier Posey would've likely been sitting on many folks fantasy rosters this year (Moore, Colston, Sproles, Graham). Look at GB with Cobb, Jones, Jennings, and Finley.

My guess is ILB, NT, and RG will be addressed in the draft, late pick of another low value, high upside WR. Continue to groom Yates and/or Keenum to put minimal pressure on Schaub.

If the team is wise they let Barwin, Cody walk, possibly Antonio Smith if they think they have a value at DE with the 27th pick. Resign Glover Quin and go after a FA WR. They are on the verge of greatness and are a huge attraction to the WR's out there. If they don't manage to snag one I will be at a loss of words, again, with this organization's ineptitude.

11. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

12. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

So you're saying that Shaub would be as good as Brees and Rodgers if we had a better coach?

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Outside linebacker

14. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LB, OL, WR, TE, FB

If he's there, I'd take Tyler Eifert in the 1st
    Reason: Schaub is the QB. The Texans have to get back to running the football to set up the pass. Eifert will use his huge frame and great hands to go over the middle and provide a deadly medium range weapon for Schaub. He's a decent to good blocker as well. What Gronkowski does for Brady, Eifert will do for Schaub. This is not an OD replacement as I expect both players to be on the field at the same time on double TE sets.

15. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

No.

This year has proven that the offense isn't something young/rookie WRs can work themselves into and instantly start producing, due to its complexity and the way coaches and the QB are conservative in who gets plays called for them. Besides we have a number of more immediate needs at other positions, where a first round pick can get into the rotation (LB, Safety, NT/DT, TE, etc).

I get people are concerned about the position, but what did getting a WR do for Jacksonville or Tennessee or Arizonia's offensive troubles? A wide out isn't going to help nearly as much as shoring up some of the other positions would.

16. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Not to mention Schaub's noodle arm... there were times this season where a WR had to slow down on Schaub's long ball.

What you see is what you get with Schaub, some are happy, some arent.

17. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Not just this year. I've been saying this since he got here. Many ignored it, but it is very evident now. And he's not that accurate as many think. The last 3 yrs, a lot of his throws were off and the reciever had to just make a great play to catch it (shoe string catches, diving catches, slowing down and adjusting catches, etc..). I know at times recievers have to help the QB by making spectacular plays, but it was happening too much with Schaub. And he hardly ever made a pass to where the reciever could catch and keep running in stride. I root for Schaub cause he is my team QB, but it was time to move on from him. Now it's too late cause we are stuck with him for at least 2 yrs, cause I doubt Kubiac makes a bold move and replace him.

18. MystikArkitect

I said Jean and Posey would be viable fantasy pickups, not that Schaub would be better than those two.

Then again with Mccarthey and Payton, I'm not sure Schaub is quarterbacking this team.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Schaub made Jacoby a viable fantasy pickup.

Who is really the problem?

20. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

Why would they address RG? They already addressed RG in the 3rd round last year with Brandon Brooks who has major potential. They also have Ben Jones who can play RG and Center. The one spot on the line, and this includes RT, that definitely needs to be upgraded is LG. Wade Smith was awful this year and he wasn't that great last year either. I would like them to target Barrett Jones. He's a guy that can play anywhere on the line including RT or LG. I also don't see them addressing NT high. I guess they go with Earl Mitchell as the starter and take a DT in the middle rounds to back him up. I wouldn't mind a defensive tackle high, though. It all depends on who is there when they pick. I also doubt they would take a 3/4 de high to replace Smith if they even cut him. They would probably plug Crick in.