1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans 2013 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by 45souf, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Tavon Austin didn't run sub 4.4. He ran sub 4.3. - hand-timed at 4.25! Almost got to Chris Johnson's 4:24 Combine 40 time. <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#wow">#wow</a></p>&mdash; Chris Mortensen (@mortreport) <a href="https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/305682954208829442" data-datetime="2013-02-24T08:17:50+00:00">February 24, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Commodore

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Texas WR Marquise Goodwin clocks 4.25, tying Austin. A track athlete.</p>&mdash; Chris Mortensen (@mortreport) <a href="https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/305684822662189056" data-datetime="2013-02-24T08:25:15+00:00">February 24, 2013</a></blockquote>

3. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

No excuse not to get Tavon now.

4. Commodore

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>If <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#Texans">#Texans</a> are looking for speed at WR, plenty to be had in this draft. 5 have officially run sub-4.4 today <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#NFLCombine">#NFLCombine</a></p>&mdash; Nick Scurfield (@NickScurfield) <a href="https://twitter.com/NickScurfield/status/305734047580160000" data-datetime="2013-02-24T17:40:51+00:00">February 24, 2013</a></blockquote>

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tevon is an intiging guy, him running a sub 4.4 by no means makes him the automatic choice

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Speed is pretty overrated if you don't have any other skills. Goodwin for example is just a track athlete playing football because he's fast. Not because he's any good.

1 person likes this.
  7. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I'd rather go with Boyce in the second round than Austin in the 1st. Better overall receiver and higher potential in my mind. You do lose the kick/punt return though.

8. Raven

Raven Member

God, I miss football.

And it's only Feb.

:(

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I wonder, at his size, how good is he at run blocking and will that affect Kubiak's opinion of him?

10. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

An interesting name to throw in the ring for rounds 3-6 is RT Reid Fragel from Ohio State. A converted TE, his comparison is usually to our former RT Eric Winston. He's definitely not a plug and play player, though, as it'll probably take him a year or two to really develop into a solid starter. I think he'd fit into the ZBS, though, because he seems light on his feet and has a mean streak.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/reid-fragel?id=2539651
    http://nflsfuture.com/2013/02/16/reid-fragel-scouting-report/

It seems like all of the OT studs that might fit into the ZBS (Fisher and Johnson being among them, IMO) will be gone earlier than the Texans' 1st rounder, so I think you address LB/WR and try to find a ZBS OL in the 3-6 range. Not sold on Pugh or Aboushi but that may also be because I think finding an RT for the Texans is much more important than finding a RG because we at least have hope for the guard position.

11. Nextup

Nextup Member

The Texans should trade up for geno smith if he slips. We need a franchise qb. He's a great athlete who is a pocket passer. Rarely throws picks. We would probably have to give up 1 and 2 picks this year and 1 rounder next year.
    I know the Texans have a lot of holes but if they have an opportunity to get a franchise qb they should take it. We can make up for the loss of picks in free agency.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I couldn't be more certain Kubiak will NOT pick a QB in the first two rounds, simply because it would kill Schaub's confidence. I know we might not care, but he does. If he grabs someone, it'll be a later round diamond in the rough that won't freak out Matt as an obvious replacement.

If Matt comes into next year playing the way he ended last season? Different story for the 2014 Draft.

What we would do as GMs isn't necessarily in line with what the franchise wants. Sometimes we're dead right (Carr extension) sometimes dead wrong (Watt selection).

13. Cannonball

There's no QB in this draft that screams "franchise QB" to me. Someone may surprise, a la Russell Wilson, but this isn't the draft where you bypass bigger currently needs to take a shot at a long term solution at QB.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

agreed. This teams has some pressing needs that need to be addressed in the first couple/3 rounds, and QB just isn't it right now.

I do like Geno though but I don't think he will be there anyways.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't want a QB this draft unless someone magical drops to us. Depending on how Barkley does in the combine though, I might take him round 1 if he's there. His performance on the field last year doesn't really bother me, as crazy as it sounds. If he has the tools, work ethic and patience to sit behind Schaub and learn we might have a steal.

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Safety Jonathan Cyprien garnering tons of buzz - possibly creeping up from 2nd/3rd round all the way up to back of 1st.

Personally, I still love John Jenkins for us, but protypical NT may not be something Wade wants. Which I plain don't get.

17. Nextup

Nextup Member

I agree with you, I don't think the Texans will but I think they should. Everything I see leads me to believe geno will be a franchise qb. Great arm, speed and decision making.

18. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I would take him if he drops but reports said the Arizona "guaranteed" he wouldn't fall below them at 7 (I believe that's their pick).

19. Cannonball

So Te'o ran a 4.82 40 today and the sports media is talking about his draft stock falling and him slipping to the 2nd round. But I also noticed that Kevin Minter from LSU, which some mocks had us taking, only did slightly better at 4.81.

20. 45souf

45souf Member

From what uncle bob said these two do not fit what we need from are lb's. we need speed. Speed from are lbs and speed from are wr's. Kubes is smart enough to realize that. Wr looks like the safe bet in the first rd. wades vales speed in are nt rather than bulk. Jones would be great for us, just not in the first rd