1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Houston Texans 2012 Team Needs

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TTime, Feb 13, 2012.

1. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Replace jacoby with anyone else. Rest up and get healthy

1 person likes this.
  2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

exactly as I see it

3. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Reuben Randle ran an unofficial 4.50. Sanu ran in the mid 4.6s. Disappointing. On the other hand, Hill out of Georgia Tech measured out at 6'4", ran 4.3 and 4.31 and looked good in catching drills. He'll shoot up draft boards after today.

1 person likes this.
  4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Yikes, that's an especially horrible number for Sanu. Though I wonder if those numbers might be better for the Texans. If those numbers don't significantly change how the Texans view those players, we could be looking at getting them a round later than they were projected before. Now instead of taking one of those two 1st round, we get them in the 2nd or later.

5. Aggie2012

Aggie2012 Contributing Member

If we can get Hill in the second round, it would be an absolute steal IMO. Hopefully he doesn't shoot up too much, he is currently projected 2-3 round. He is another Julio Jones without the stats from college career.

6. xcrunner51

His YPC this year was insane (29.3) but he only had 28 receptions all year long and only 49 total in his college career. That's a big question mark.

I agree that his 40 time probably jumps him to the head of the pack behind Blackmon currently.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Sanu had the same 40 time as Andrew Luck.

4.67 is a terrifyingly bad time, no way I want him in the 1st or 2nd rd.

Chris Owusu had great times, and I always liked him at Stanford, speed was his main question mark.

Stephen Hill doesn't project as anything more than a deep threat from what I gather.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Worse. Luck did 4.66 and 4.59

I officially want nothing to do with him, even in round 2. We need a fly route man. NEED.

Of course, that's what we desperately need.

I wish Kubiak would get over himself and accept that a stretch receiver for passing downs is worthwhile. Another slot run blocker that can't separate is pointless.

9. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

For Owusu injuries are a pretty major concern too. Tendency for concussions.

10. Aggie2012

Aggie2012 Contributing Member

At Georgia Tech they run a Option offense so you shouldn't expect big numbers from the guy. But the fact that he is 6-4/215 and runs a 4.3 is what blows everything out the water. Plus he was very impressive in the drills at the combine, I would say Blackmon/Floyd/Hill were the most impressive in the WR catching drills. Hill definitely does need to work on his route running. But I am not worried about that. One off-season shadowing Andre is all he would need IMO.

11. xcrunner51

The guy's got measurables for sure but you can't completely write off a lack of numbers because of system. That's a big unknown having less career receptions than most big-time WR's have in a single season.

And if route-running were as easy to learn as you make it out to be, Jacoby would be All-Pro.

He's got the makings of a combine star; they're normally a coin toss on whether they develop into something special.

12. mastraw18

mastraw18 Member

Mayock said that Sanu ran just as he expected him to. Sure it was slow, but that was his expectations. His draft stock won't lower because of today. He is a big possession receiver not known for his deep threat ability.

Sanu didn't impress or disappoint.

I didn't realize Floyd ran that fast though. He was in the low 4.4's if I am not mistaken

13. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

A lot of inaccuracies in that article.

"3rd string QB TJ Yates won his first playoff start and led the team to a division title with a road start at Cincinnati" - WRONG

"Andre Johnson has been with the team since its’ inception..." - WRONG

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

TJ Yates did clinch the division in Cincinnati, and Dre came in year 2 i wouldn't call that a lot of inaccuracies just 1 minor one.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

?????

That's exactly how the offense *is* structured. JJ is supposed to be that guy. If they draft a WR, it'll almost certainly be to upgrade JJ and provide a downfield threat.

(But, yes - he also has to be able to block; that's why Hill is probably a decent bet - spent his time in an option offense run-blocking a lot.)

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Todd McShay ‏ @McShay13 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    I've never seen anything like Memphis DT Dontari Poe. 348 pounds. Benches 225lbs 44 times. And ran unofficial 4.87 in the 40. Freakish!
    [​IMG]

Bruce Irvin runs blazing 4.43 in 40

[​IMG]

Irvin ran a 4.43 in his second attempt at the 40 on Monday. (US Presswire) By Josh Katzowitz

When a defensive end/outside linebacker who’s 6-foot-3 and weighs 245 pounds runs an unofficial time of 4.5 in the 40, it’s an impressive feat. When he, in his second attempt, runs a 4.43, the result is rather mind-blowing.

[​IMG]

Whitney Mercilus of Illinois was one of the best pass rushers in college football last season, and he’s showing at the Scouting Combine that he has just the kind of quick first step that NFL teams look for in a pass rusher.

Mercilus ran the 40-yard dash in an unofficial time of 4.63 seconds, but the 10-yard split may be more important than the full 40-yard time for defensive linemen, and Mercilus had a very good 10-yard split of 1.57 seconds.

#37 Dubious, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  18. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I think Alshon Jeffery moved up the Texans' board without doing a single drill. He just went to the combine to get weighed and measured. After all of the rumors of him putting on 15 pounds, it turned out that he lost 15 pounds. If he has a good pro day, I'd expect him to be a major target for the Texans. He's their kind of guy.

19. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

If the Texans decide to let Mario walk, Whitney Mercilus is a MUST.

20. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Dang I was holding out hope that Poe would fall to us. Not a chance after that combine performance.