1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans 2012 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 26, 2012.

1. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

Signed Logan Brock out of TCU

2. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

[​IMG]

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

4. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Here is my two cent about the draft. Texans went for quantity over quality. I have no problem with the first round pick but I will say letting Fleener flee to the Colts will bit us in 3 or 4 years, trading back to the 3rd round I have a problem with since the lsu wr most experts had us picking him fall to our laps and we traded back and by then him and some players that was projected to sneak in the first round was gone. They should of asked for more.

5. AFS

AFS Member

Evidently, we didn't like anyone that was around for pick #58, particularly Randle, so we traded down to get more value. The Texans FO seems to like who they got. We just have to sit back and see what happens.

6. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I wanted the texans to pick Joe Adams :( I thought he would be a nice replacement for Jacoby Jones.

draft looks good, lets wait and see how these players perform.

Could sound obvious but I think Mondek is going to the practice squad this year, to prepare him for the future.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Very good write up by Lance Z about our draft (click for hits)
    http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/04/my-thought-on-every-texans-2012-draft-pick/

Camp and preseason will give us true signals, but today I'd say I'm looking forward to:
    Mercilus, Crick, Martin, and Brooks the most as immediate contributors (not starters)
    Most intrigued to see what Keenum, D Jones, Grimes, and Meggett can do
    and crossing my fingers on Posey.

We did sign a pair of undrafted TEs: Logan Brock (TCU) and Philip Supernaw (Ouachita Baptist). We'll see if one of them can stick.

Maybe it's the high of a playoff berth, but this year I really felt like the scouting and thought behind the picks and undrafted signees was at a level we haven't seen before. I take it as a good sign we weren't reaching for big names with question marks. When you sign a guy from Mary Hardin-Baylor, you've been doing some digging around.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Good write up...not a splash but some potentially some good quality players

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

http://cache.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/logan-brock-80/

The read on him suggests he's much more of a blocker than passing game contributor, which is what we need more of. Slow 40 despite a frame that's on the lighter side.

Supernaw's the other guy. Almost exact same size (6-4, 240) and 40 speed (4.71). Native Houstonian, feels his strength is as a physical blocker first, but is also confident about his ability as a receiver.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...baptist-university-tight-end-phillip-supernaw

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Really excited about the Martin pick.

11. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I would like to add it was a gutsy call waiting til the 5th round to draft the kicker. With 3 4th round pick I thought for sure they were gonna use one of it on him. I know most kickers don't et drafted til the fifth round, but the Texans were drafting near the bottom and a team could of easily leap frogged them. But they managed to get the Brink dude or whatever that some people are saying that he's the steal of the draft and got their kicker. Gutsy Gusty call considering everyone knew the Texans were gonna draft the kicker.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It's a kicker...it's not that gutsy. It would have been gutsy to waste a 4th rounder on a kicker imo.

13. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or a 3rd rounder on a punter.......oh wait, that was stupid not gutsy.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I dont think he's saying that it was gutsy to use a 5th on a kicker...he's saying that it was a risk to wait until the end of the 5th to take the best kicker in the draft.

Aggie kicker was projected to go in the 5th round...but since we picked near the end of the round, it was a good possibility that he would not have been available. As evidenced by it, two kickers got taken pretty quickly after our selection, so teams were most definitely in the market for one.

I would have been fine had the Texans chosen the kicker with their last pick in the 4th round because I couldnt say for certain he would have been around for the next pick.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I got what he is saying. I think it's a bigger risk to reach on a kicker. There are a million kickers.

16. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

This guy knows what I'm talking about. There might be alot of kickers, put the Texans got the pick of the litter and the guy we got won best kicker in college. I would take that over a journey man anyday.

17. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Philip Supernaw??? he was in my graduating class at katy taylor. i didn't even know he played college football...

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

any relation to Doug Supernaw?

19. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

yes, that's his son.

20. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

What is it with kicker season in Houston? First the Texans draft the alleged best kicker in the nation, then the Cougars get a commit from the best kicking recruit in the nation: