1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans 2011 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bluffkin, Jan 26, 2011.

1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

With the 178th pick in the NFL Draft, the Houston Texans.....err.....Gary Kubiak selects.....

Virgil Green - TE/Nevada

Pugs

EDIT: Guess we traded 178.

#1161 pugsly8422, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  2. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Jeremy Kerley.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i don't b**** about WHO gets picked, for the most part. because i don't know enough to do that. i assume we're capable of figuring out who is good and who sucks....though i have my doubts, honestly.

i do b**** or give praise about strategy...about plan...about positions taken relative to strengths and weaknesses on this club...about how they seem to be addressing weaknesses. that i think i can comment on, or at least give my opinion, even if it isn't worth much.

4. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

My only complaint is that I felt we could have gotten a better player at 11 in the first round but Watt is far from a terrible player. I would have been ecstatic about him if we traded down a few slots, but if Wade feels like he was the best player available in terms of talent and fit then I'm okay.

I feel like we had arguably the best 2nd round out of any team and then we tipped it off by selecting a low risk-high reward corner in the 4th round, a physical safety in the 5th, and a project/backup quarterback in case Matt Schaub ever gets injured.

Grade: A (assuming we're done)

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well that's your issue. I can understand being a jaded fan but you still have to be able to evaluate, objectively, the rational behind this pick. And there are some valid reasons for why they took him. Just like pugs mentioned, the texans could poteniall save a couple million by getting rid of Orlovsky or Leinart.

again, if you're irrate about a late 5th round pick then you are just misdirecting past anger and looking for something to unleash on.

when yates turns into tom brady you sure are going to look silly. ;)

6. cdastros

cdastros Member

http://blog.houstontexans.com/2011/04/30/yates-already-familiar-with-texans-offense/

Quarterback T.J. Yates, picked by the Texans at No. 152 overall in the fifth round, said that the offense he ran at North Carolina was based heavily on the Texans’ offense, using similar route patterns and passing schemes.
    “When we were going through this past offseason in Carolina, we watched a ton of Texans film from a few years ago because we were running a lot of the same offensive schemes and stuff,” Yates said. “Our offenses are extremely similar. It’s fun to watch that stuff on film and see yourself as well as what Matt Schaub does on the field. I feel like I’m pretty prepared going into this offense.”
    Yates is excited to learn “everything about being an NFL quarterback” under Schaub in Houston.
    “He is one of the best quarterbacks in the league, and I can’t wait to get behind him and absolutely learn everything I can from him,” Yates said.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know you're joking but that would be a great value pick at that point.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Max, it's a friggin' 5th rounder.

Take it easy.

We already hit the major holes, we have no viable backup for Schaub (this guy is like Schaub Junior), and worst case scenario, we can flip him later for even better picks (I guarantee you someone will bite on him).

This is a great BPA pick that can pay dividends in more ways than one.

9. pugsly8422

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MadMax again."

Pugs

10. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Like your optimism but i doubt Yates will every see the feild n the NFL.

11. pugsly8422

Yeah, if I knew we were going to trade him, or one of our many other TE's, I'd be all for taking him. I just can't see Gary giving up a TE, even if it's Anthony Hill. Hopefully J.J. Watt was his TE from this draft....

Pugs

12. pugsly8422

Lol, more info on T.J. Yates from elsewhere....

"Favorite NFL team is the Indianapolis Colts • • Has a tattoo of "Y+III," which both his brothers also have • Favorite cartoon character is Foghorn Leghorn • Started playing football at the age of 4 • Followed the Indianapolis Colts as a kid because he grew up in Indianapolis • "

Pugs

13. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Hey pugsly, could you shorten up that sig of yours? I know, I sound whiny. But you post a lot, which is ok, but your sig is distracting. Thank you.

14. pugsly8422

Yeah, it actually crossed my mind the other day, not sure why I didn't do it. I'll do it now.

Pugs

15. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Thanks.

16. ABforPresident

Why is there 51 seventh round picks? LOL

So Tyler Sash, Mark Herzlich, or Ian Williams? who should we take???

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Compensatory picks awarded by the league.

18. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

DeAndre McDaniel - safety, Clemson.

19. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Ian Williams. Surprised he hasn't gone yet

20. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Thats who i want