1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans 2011 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bluffkin, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Well shoot, unless you played a sport when you were in college, you've still got 4 years of eligibility left! Send in an application to Colorado State, and in 4 years, you might be the next battlefightin' tight end for the Houston Texans!!

2. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

http://football.realgm.com/src_wire...fl_mock_draft_version_70_pre_combine_edition/

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

In that draft you could pick;

1.Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska.
    2.Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
    3.Robert Sands, S, West Virginia (the world's biggest Safety)

DB's set!

(or Andy Dalton in the third ... I'd have to think about doing that.)

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

robert quinn could be a beast in a 3-4.

5. Dubious

6. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I feel like this guy is being completely overlooked by most Texans for some reason.

The way I look at it, this guy is exactly what we need at one of our 3 biggest weak spots. His cover ability from center field is second to none in this draft. Think Jarius Byrd for the Bills. Moore's cover ability would free up Pollard to drop down in the box, blitz, and focus on stopping the run. Not to mention the help he could give to the cornerbacks. Regardless of the fact that he will be a rookie, it's much easier for a young guy to jump in at FS in the pros and make an impact with his ability to break on a ball from zone coverage.

If we needed to move up with our second round pick to get him, I wouldn't hesitate as he would be an immediate starter, and significant upgrade.

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

I find this to be a strange comment to make. How do you know the Texans are overlooking him?

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He probably meant Texans fans and not necessarily the Texans themselves.

9. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

You're right. I was in some promotional billboard "we're all Texans" mindset.

10. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Guys like Von Miller, Prince Amukamaru and Robert Quinn probably won't be there around the time the Texans will draft and I like Cameron Jordan. From what i have heard he is "unblockable" he would be amazing and I would think the Texans seriously look at him if he is available when our pick is there.
    Second round I still go with Aaron Williams CB or Martz Wilson OLB both will help our defense.

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Looks like Julio Jones is DESTROYING the combine which should be good news for the Texans. With Jones and Newton doing so well, that is two more ofensive guys going in top ten. If Gabbert can improve his interview skills that would be great for the Texans getting a guy that may not have been there before.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Super Bowl ring count=

Clay Mathews : 1

Sam Fisher : 0

1 person likes this.
  13. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

i'd be shocked if we draft an offensive player in the 1st round...

14. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

http://football.realgm.com/src_wire...011_nfl_mock_draft_version_80_(post_combine)/

15. Dubious

My new strategy is to take Julio Jones at #11 and then open up the phone lines for a trade down. In Prisco's new draft (below) we miss on The Big 6 so I would settle for whomever from the next tier: Quinn, Watt, Kerrigan, Clayborn, Luiget or Heyward, if it got us another second or third that we can use for Safeties and Cornerbacks.

I'm really warming to taking Marvin Austin and making him the NT.

[​IMG]

I believe New England would be the best partner, hopefully bidding against STL. Something like Julio Jones for the #17 and the #60.

1. Carolina Panthers: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn. He fills a need and I don't buy this talk that he's falling. Have you watched the tape? Did you see his combine workout?

2. Denver Broncos: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU. You can never have enough premier cover players. Peterson will learn at the feet of Champ Bailey.

3. Buffalo Bills: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson. The Bills will likely consider a quarterback here, but I think they pass on one to take Bowers.

4. Cincinnati Bengals: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia. Even though Julio Jones ran faster, Green is the receiver NFL personnel talked up at the combine. He plays faster, that's for sure.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri. They are in need of a franchise passer. If they don't get a vet -- think Donovan McNabb -- they might grab Gabbert here.

6. Cleveland Browns: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M. They would love to plug this guy into their 3-4 defense. He is rising up the boards after a great Senior Bowl week and a good combine.

7. San Francisco 49ers: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska. They need to get a top-notch corner. This kid might be the cleanest of all the players. He ran under 4.4 at the combine.

8. Tennessee Titans: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama. You can never have enough good inside people, which is where he would play in their 4-3.

9. Dallas Cowboys: Tyron Smith, T, Southern California. He weighed in at more 300 pounds, which is important for him. He played right tackle at USC but would move to the left side on the next level. The Cowboys could move Doug Free to the right side.

10. Washington Redskins: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn. He didn't show well at the combine, but can make amends at his pro day. They need a quarterback.

11. Houston Texans: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina. It's time to get Mario Williams some speed help. Quinn is that guy.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa. They might be losing Ray Edwards and Clayborn has shown he has pass-rush ability.

13. Detroit Lions: Nate Solder, T, Colorado. They have to improve up front and this huge tackle would be a nice start.

14. St. Louis Rams: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama. Don't believe the talk he is falling in this draft. It's not true. He has a foot issue, but it's nothing serious. If anything, he's going up.

15. Miami Dolphins: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama. His 40 time wasn't great at the combine, but neither was Emmitt Smith's time. He reminds me of Smith.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue. They've addressed this position a lot, but without success. This kid has Jaguars general manager Gene Smith written all over him.

17. New England Patriots (from Raiders): Aldon Smith, OLB, Missouri. The pass rush has to improve from the outside and this kid can move from defensive end or rush outside linebacker in the Patriots' scheme.

18. San Diego Chargers: J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin. He is perfect for their 3-4 scheme. He will be a lot like Aaron Smith, the Steelers' 3-4 end.

19. New York Giants: Anthony Castonzo, T-G, Boston College. He is a smart, hard-working lineman who could play either guard or left tackle. Age is a concern up front for this team.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State. They need to amp up a pass rush that wasn't very effective. This kid's Sugar Bowl tape should excite them about that.

21. Kansas City Chiefs: Gabe Carimi, T, Wisconsin. They are rebuilding their offensive line and Carimi could step in and start at right tackle.

Marvin Austin: A good risk? (Getty Images) 22. Indianapolis Colts: Mike Pouncey, G-C, Florida. They have to improve their line. He can play either guard or tackle, so could be their center when Jeff Saturday retires.
    23. Philadelphia Eagles: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado. He has great size and good speed. Off-the-field issues are a concern. He sure is cocky.

24. New Orleans Saints: Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina. He missed last season for off-the-field issues, but he wowed them at the combine. He was considered a top-10 pick before the season. Even with the signing of Shaun Rogers to a one-year deal, this makes sense.

25. Seattle Seahawks: Ryan Mallet, QB, Arkansas. They badly need a long-term answer and Pete Carroll isn't one to shy away from players with problems.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia. They didn't get what was expected from Jarrett Johnson last season and Sergio Kindle is still a question mark.

27. Atlanta Falcons: Cameron Jordan, DE, California. They need to get better at left end. Jordan has that left-end look, a bigger end who can hold up against the run.

28. New England Patriots: Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland. The playoffs taught us how much they missed the deep speed. Smith has that.

29. Chicago Bears: Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois. They let Tommie Harris go, which means they need help inside. They take the local kid to take a step in that direction.

30. New York Jets: Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh. With Santonio Holmes or Braylon Edwards possibly leaving, they need to get help outside.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas. They need an upgrade at corner and Williams is considered the fourth guy in this draft. He fits their style of corner.

32. Green Bay Packers: Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA. He didn't have a great combine, but he's a productive player who would fit in the Packers' 3-4 scheme at outside linebacker.

http://www.cbssports.com/print/nfl/...fairley-certain-at-no-1-with-shifts-ahead/rss

#95 Dubious, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  16. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Mock Draft 1.0 Charles Davis:
    11. Houston Texans: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
    Defense continues to be the issue for the Texans, thus another "reboot" is necessary on that side of the ball.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...s-panthers-taking-aim-at-newton?module=HP_cp2

Mock Draft 1.0 Pat Kirwan:
    11. Houston Texans: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
    Amukamara turned a lot of heads when he ran a 4.43 40 at the combine. The Texans will consider a hybrid player like Quinn here, but with Peyton Manning in the division they need coverage help.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-gabbert-newton-off-board-in-first-four-picks

I'm a little surprised that both Kirwan and Davis think the Texans will pick Prince Amukamara in the 1st round. I doubt the Texans will draft a CB in the 1st round, for the second year in a row ... but you never know with a new DC in town. :rolleyes:

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Amukamara is still there, I don't see how they can justify passing on him given the record-setting ineptitude of the secondary last year. That would be a 'home run' type pick.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

I think we've been hearing this same stuff before Mario even played a down for the Texans:p:rolleyes: "Get Mario help, Mario needs help, where's the help for Mario?, is Mario going to be helped out?"

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

15. Miami Dolphins: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama. His 40 time wasn't great at the combine, but neither was Emmitt Smith's time. He reminds me of Smith.

If Ingram really does have Emmitt Smith-esque future in the NFL, he will be a top 10 pick (if not top 5).

Any offensive player that "sneaks" into the top 10 will mean another top defensive player will be available for the Texans at eleven. I would not be surprised if Prince Amukamara and/or Robert Quinn are still on the board at eleven.

20. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I have a hard time seeing Amukamaru falling to the 11th pick but if he does fall the Texans must draft him given how ugly the CB situation is right now.