1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Surgeons Lawsuit over ring

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by updawg, Oct 11, 2011.

1. updawg

updawg Member

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Doctor-drops-ring-lawsuit-vows-to-pay-ex-100-000-2211596.php

This dude is whipped or very confused....

In an about-face, a prominent Houston surgeon has dropped his lawsuit demanding a $73,000 engagement ring back from his ex-fiancée and will instead pay $100,000 to cover her legal fees.

Craig Fischer, chief of digestive surgical oncology and associate professor of surgery at Methodist Hospital, apologized for his suit in a signed statement provided to the Houston Chronicle by the woman's attorney, Tony Buzbee.

"I apologize for filing a lawsuit against Nichole Johnson," the statement reads. "It was a big mistake on my part. I was wrong and should have never done it. I am immediately dropping the case and will pay Nichole $100,000 as attorney's fees. I also want to thank Nichole's attorneys for helping me understand the mistake I made. Again, I am sorry. I will have no further comment."

Buzbee said that Fischer had no choice but to drop the lawsuit, given that he had "accused her (Johnson) of being a charlatan who was out to get (his) money, and all that was a flat-out lie."

Differing views

In the lawsuit filed last month, Fischer said he bought the 4.06-carat ring from Zadok's Jewelers in Houston on Aug. 8. He also demanded that Johnson pay back $75,000 from a shared bank account and apartment lease.

Buzbee said the doctor didn't put up any money for the lease, and that Johnson and Fischer each deposited $5,000 into a joint account, not $25,000 that Fischer claimed.

"He jumped into the deep end of the pool and couldn't swim," Buzbee said. "It's funny that he filed a lawsuit against her and initiated all of this, and he ended up having to pay her for doing it."

Johnson, who earns more than $300,000 a year as an account executive for a Houston financial services company, tried to return the ring to Fischer after the Sept. 22 breakup but he didn't show up to retrieve it, Buzbee said.

"She agrees to give him the ring back, and he says he's going out of town and is 'not strong enough (emotionally) to get it,' " Buzbee said.

Meanwhile, text messages between the erstwhile couple, provided by Buzbee, showed Fischer as being moody and controlling as he tried to woo Johnson back by offering her lavish gifts that included a $12,000 watch.

The ring, please

Buzbee would not reveal whether Fischer has the ring, saying that "any other terms of the settlement are confidential." Late last month, though, Buzbee said he had the ring and planned to have it personally delivered to the doctor.

Johnson could not be reached for comment. Fischer did not return repeated calls and his attorney could not be reached for comment

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I feel sorry for his next cancer patient...

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

One of Houston's top splurgeons.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

First world problems

5. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

why the F is this news?

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

I want to know moar! why isn't there a reality show on this right now?

7. updawg

updawg Member

That's a good question. Sadly the chron website has had it as frontoage news a couple of times the past week. I was surprised it wasn't posted yet

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Because it's local, relatable and light-hearted. Real news is boring or guilt-ridden: like trade treaties, scientific discoveries or stories about military rape in the Congo. Local stuff is even worse, do you honestly want to read about the state legislature?

9. Prince

Prince Member

i therefore conclude that doctor's are richer than lawyers but lawyers are smarter than doctors. ;)

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You'd be surprised how little some doctors make. Surgeons on the other hand are the big bread winners.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

thank god for tort reform!

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member