1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets Trade-Up Targets in 2012 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Clutch, Apr 22, 2012.

?

Which players in this draft would you be willing to give up Lowry+more for?

1. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (Kentucky)

73 vote(s)
    38.0%
  2. John Henson (North Carolina)

5 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. Perry Jones (Baylor)

21 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. Andre Drummond (Connecticut)

88 vote(s)
    45.8%
  5. Thomas Robinson (Kansas)

46 vote(s)
    24.0%
  6. Bradley Beal (Florida)

80 vote(s)
    41.7%
  7. Jared Sullinger (Ohio State)

23 vote(s)
    12.0%
  8. Harrison Barnes (North Carolina)

30 vote(s)
    15.6%
  9. Tyler Zeller (North Carolina)

12 vote(s)
    6.3%
  10. None of these players

15 vote(s)
    7.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I'm all for trading up for Drummond, Beal, or Jeremy Lamb. I wouldn't mind trading anyone on the roster for 1 of them.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

We don't have to trade up to get Lamb... he'll probably be available at 13. And he's not that great. He'd be okay if we can't trade up, but I hope we can.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

MKG can guard the 1, 2, or 3. Probably better than Parsons. And why not have both on the team?

I'd say:

1) MKG
    2) Beal
    3) Robinson

Hell no to the Drummond. Another tall loafing unmotivated center (who also played at Connecticut, I think?) Pass.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think he'll be there at 13. He had a "relatively" disappointing season. still, he was on a team that played in a tough conference with a fair number of distractions, and put in 18 points, 5 boards, 2 assists and a block per game.

He's got solid height at 6'5, and an incredible wingspan for his size - 7'1 (ala Marshon Brooks).

Lamb strikes me as Kevin Martin-esque.

I'm not sure why Beal is a better prospect than Lamb, if he is? I think they're pretty equal. If I had my choice, I'd probably go with Beal first because his size (bulk) makes it seem likely he can contribute better in other ways - DWade like - but I wouldn't put money on one being better than the other...

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Beal has much more upside, he could be the next Wade. Like you said, Lamb could be the next Martin. No-brainer.

MKG is not an big time shot creator who takes over games, he's a high-level roleplayer like Parsons. If we are trading up to the top 5 where MKG will be picked, we need a guy with franchise player potential, not another roleplayer.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I guess I agree. Just would note the "coulds". I agree to make the selection on that basis, but would at least note, Lamb could turn into Ray Allen and Beal could turn into Courtney Lee for all I know. Just pushing home the fact that I think it's very close... but again, I agree.

I also kind of agree om MKG. I didn't see any of that take over ability, but I give him the benefit of the doubt given the team he played on, and his apparent ability to be more of that go to creator in his past. He seemed like he was playing his role for his team perfectly, and it worked right. I would have to rely more on scouting, individual workouts, etc. I'm already relying on expert advice saying he is top 5. I frankly had a hard time differentiating between any of those Kentucky players except for Davis. Jones, MKG, Lamb... they all seem like they could be solid solid players, but I have no clue which might be the best.

7. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

Beal and Drummond. I doubt we can get MKG.

8. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

Drummond and Beal

I agree. I don't see why the Rockets should trade up unless you either are getting surefire upgrades and/or tremendous upside talentwise. Beal is an upgrade over Kevin Martin and one big reason is...HE PLAYS DEFENSE. He can shoot the ball comparable to Eric Gordon or Ray Allen lite. Makes Martin expendable. Drummond is an upgrade at center. Camby is good but up there in bball age. Should be getting backup minutes and really only used to keep in shape until the playoffs. Drummond can be no worse than Dalembert in a couple of years production wise. He would be our anchor for years to come if developed properly. MKG is nice player with a cool acronym nickname but how much better is he then Parsons? Both are good a defense and have intangibles...glue men. Think we have more dire needs at other postions.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

NO will definitely be looking to add an all-star to their roster in an attempt to keep Gordon. Enter Lowry or Scola for that #2 pick.

10. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I like to have fun with things like this but it seems wishful thinking, who in right mind is going to take on Lowry + a draft pick / two picks for these great players??

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Someone who doesn't think so highly of said players.

12. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Every time this year two things tend happen:

1.) Everybody and I mean EVERYBODY becomes a draft expert.
    2.) Players entering the draft get waaaaay overhyped.

I understand that you might lose Dragic if you're not trading Lowry, but Lowry has gotten way too much flak IMO.
    This is the same guy the majority of Clutchfans wasn't willing to trade for Deron Williams not too long ago (when he was healthy and playing great - remember?).

Now, I'm not saying that I wouldn't trade Lowry straight up for the pick that ultimately ends up being somebody like Brad Beal. Maybe Drummond or MKG. Maybe you're even adding a pick to get one of those guys. I don't know, as I haven't watched enough college ball this year.

But giving up Lowry and a draft pick or two for some of these other guys (Henson, Zeller, PJ3, Sullinger, Barnes)? Are you kidding me? I wouldn't bet money on one of these guys turning out to be a better player than Kyle.

Robinson I like, from what I've seen, but then you'd be trading for another PF, with Scola, Motiejunas and Patterson already on the team.
    You better be really high on Robinson and/or have some follow-up trades in place, if you're trading for him. Otherwise he might end up being another T-Will or Marcus Morris.

Just my two cents.

13. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Haha touché ;)

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I have sort of skipped over Beal, Gilchrist, and Robinson, because they are not going to be available for any type of higher pick we can get. The top 5 or 6 teams in the projected lottery have no real reason to trade out unless someone throws a serious offer at them.

A more realistic range would be 6 and under.

15. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

As rocket fans I dont see how yall would want Robinson another 6'8 power foward we've been down this road too many times and how many 6'8 all star power forwards have there been?

16. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

We get mchale to mold a 18 yr old raw big man like drummond should be our priority.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Elton Brand.

Um.....um....

Oh, this was a rhetorical question.

18. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

So only 1? And elton brand could get wide Robinson has SF body playing PF. I like him but the question is about trading up and hes not worth trading up for. Even if we had a top 5 pick I would pass on him hes a bench player not a long time starter.

19. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

First question I asked myself was "who in the top 10 could benefit of a PG?

Kings
    Raptors
    Blazers

I'd trade Lowry+ for MKG. Outside of that i'd rather get a proven commodity such as Gasol (don't want Gasol, but rather get him than unproven talent).

Then i'd try to draft Lamb/Rivers/Miller/Teague/White who IMO all have enormous and will shoot up the draft boards once the combo is over.

I'd then re-sign The Dragon.

Tank next season.

20. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Royce White.