1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets Summer of 2014

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kunene, May 3, 2014.

1. kunene

kunene Member

Morey’s number one priority needs to be finding the best possible coach for this team. It’s obvious even to casual fans around me that there needs to be drastic improvements in coaching.

Morey shouldn’t be worrying about going after Melo.
    Kyle Lowry @ 11-12 mil > Luol Deng @ 9-10 mil > Thabo @ 5 mil > Melo @ 20 mil

All this talk about Carmelo Anthony… I just don’t see how it happening. Asik and Lin are going to kill our payroll next year. They’re each due 14.9 mil. That’s nearly 46% of the 65.4 mil on the payroll so far for next year. Even with the projected hard cap raise to 77 mil, it still won’t be enough to sign Melo, who’s probably looking for 20 mil, without going over the cap. If Rockets want to sign Melo anyway, they would end up paying about 15 mil in luxury taxes and effectively end up paying a total of 35 mil to bring Melo in next year. That’s without picking up additional FA or rookie salaries. Don’t think Les would be willing to do that. Without moving Asik or Lin’s contract it’s very unlikely we acquire Melo. I doubt Knicks would be willing to do a S&T for Asik and Lin if Melo decides not to opt out.

Luol Deng is worth around 8-9 mil, but will probably end up with around 10 mil. Thabo Sefolosha would probably want to stay in OKC where he has an established role, so we would have to offer about 5 mil to get him here. If Morey somehow manages to pick up Deng and Sefolosha, it’ll definitely make up for this playoffs heartbreak. Deng, Sefolosha, and Lowry? I’ll just say that’s unrealistic and near impossible.

If we can get Deng to sign, then I’d be hesitant to extend Parsons. Parsons is worth 6.5 - 7 to me, but he’ll demand at least 8 mil. In his mind, he probably thinks he’s worth 12+. He’s not a star, he’s a good role player.

I’d also go for sharp-shooters like Mike Miller @ 1.2 mil and Jimmer Fredette @ 1.2 mil to replace Casspi and Hamilton who are the two players off our books now.

Finally, trade Asik for a good PF like Millsap and try to sign someone like Spencer Hawes @ 7-8 mil to back up Howard.

The rest of our payroll this year:
    Dwight Howard 21,435,271
    James Harden 14,693,906
    Omer Asik 14,898,938
    Jeremy Lin 14,898,938
    Terrence Jones 1,618,680
    Donatas Motiejunas 1,483,920
    Francisco Garcia 1,316,809
    Chandler Parsons 964,750
    Patrick Beverly 915,243
    Isaiah Canaan 816,482
    Robert Covington 816,482
    Troy Daniels 816,000

2. Andrew Wiggins

Over pay sharp shooters to sign 1 year contracts (with player options). If we are going to take all these threes then let's at least have good shooters shooting them.

Save the cap space because Asik will walk, and Lin well...he is expendable.

3. kunene

kunene Member

I forgot to add: draft Cleanthony Early.

4. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Maybe it's better this way.

We'll have an exciting summer to look forward to in terms of the moves of the FO.

Because as much as I wanted the team to advance, it was getting harder and harder to watch our ugly offense and pathetic defense. And the way we kept losing leads was torture.

Yeah, Daryl, please get a new coach/coaching staff and overhaul the bench. If you want to stick to you philosophy, then by God get players that can play your system, and move faster, man. We couldn't play Garcia, Casspi and Hamilton already and you were still foot-dragging in terms of integrating the Viper guys.

5. kunene

kunene Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agfXXIgCHp0

Seriously, how's this kid projected to go late 1st round? He's a great shooter, quick, athletic, fluid, good size, good defender. Rockets have a good chance at getting him. Seems to me like he should go early or mid 1st. Is it because he went to Wichita State and hasn't had much exposure yet?

6. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

i look forward to the offseason.

7. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

It's a shame, but you pretty much ruined your first post by saying Lin and Asik's contract will count to $30 million to the salary cap. They don't, it will count to $16.6 million in total.

8. trugoy

trugoy Member

Free agent target number 1 should be Kent Bazemore from the Lakers, he is the next Tony Allen, If you insist on building around Harden, you need to team him up with an all-world wing defender. Bazemore is the only one available via FA.

Move Parsons, Bev back the bench, start Howard, Asik, Lin, Harden and Bazemore. The team will be much more balanced and the team will take on a defensive identity instead of an offensive one.

9. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Sign free agent James Lebron ( trade Asik/Lin/Dmo out to clear cap space) if Lebron considers the Rockets an option;
    If we can't get a superstar like Lebron or Melo this summer, sign Jordan Hill 12M/3years (MLE) and sign Wesley Johnnson 2m/1year, then we can clear cap space to sign a superstar like Love or Rondo next summer

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I lurked on clutchcity for 2 yrs b4 I joined. When I joined,you had to build your rep up before you can start a thread. Now,dudes just have a brainless thought and start threads.

11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I would like Troy Daniels to develop his handles. Can he play PG for us? Too small for SG position in the West.

I would like the following to pack up their bags tomorrow and be gone immediately: Casspi, Garcia, Hamilton.

I would like a better playmaking PG. A PG who can open up defenses by finding Harden and Howard. PBev should go back to being a back-up/role player.

12. makio9

makio9 Member

Are you OK upstairs MR? If Melo comes it would mean Asik and Lin re traded to the Knicks. cap is fine.

13. dc1985

dc1985 Member

I would sign Kyle Lowry on the first day of free agency. And Luol Deng right after. Maybe someone like Jordan Hill to play power forward if we couldn't swing a deal for a Milsap like PF. I would move Lin for whatever you can get. And draft either Cleanthony Early or Hood from Duke. And find a role for Daniels from the get go. Even if it's just 10-15 a game with 3-6 designed 3 point plays. He's to good of a shooter to not get him shots.

I really don't think we are far away. Simple moves like these would take us from 4-5 seed to staring at 1-2 seed.

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Just get some better veteran role players we need another big and another SF

15. calcium

calcium Member

Did kind of ruined it for me.

Any serious commentary on the subject who does not realise this well known
    fact takes away a lot of commentator's credibility.

16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

How many years have we said that to ourselves?

Meanwhile, the West keeps improving. Now POR has become another contender. PHX is not far behind.

Are we sure we have another 54 win season next year? With our 1st round loss, how attractive will we be to Melo etc?

17. bmd

bmd Member

I'm sure he knows the Rockets didn't get swept like the Bobcats and the series was extremely competitive between two very good teams. Surely he knows he would improve the team greatly.

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

When will the team decide to pick up mchales option or not

19. davli

davli Member

Lol pwnd

20. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Trade Harden for the top pick.

Draft the Devil... DANTE EXUM

We will be set for the next decade!!!