1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets: Short rotation will catch up in the long run

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Dec 21, 2017.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

But MDA still needs better end of the bench players, our current scrubs are not playable.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

@ashleyem's class has only one desk.

3. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

He just needs to learn patience. You cant play black 5 min and jut bench after that when capela is out. That **** needs to stop, he will never get better if all he gets is a bunch of 5 minute spurts of playing. He has to have more trust and patience. If not, when the playoffs roll along and we get an injury, we will be eliminated because no1 will probably step up. and our rotation will just get shorter.

An 8 or 9 man rotation is fine, but when you have an injury to capela...u cant just go from 9 to 8...u need to play black especially when NENE was ******** the bed. MDA has to fix this stupidity and realize what the long game is.

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I never said one was better than the other... McHale, MDA and JBB - all have benefits and all have their own brand of stupid... :)

Results are what they are... for all McHales faults he did get us to the WCF - MDA hasnt...

5. kjayp

I'm not gonna disagree that we can use some upgrades at the end of the bench... but you play the hand you're dealt...
    Guys like Tarik, Troy and even BBrown may not be top options - but they could certainly cover some spot minutes...
    I forget what game it was that we were up by like 30 points in the 4th quarter - and all the starters were still in with 6 or 7 minutes left in the game... that's just stupid... leaving the potential for injuries in garbage time - and denying guys the opportunity to get on the floor and maybe even develop into reasonable options...

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Giving them minutes when Rockets up by 20 or more and that unit unable to hold that lead is very different from putting them in during close games and having them lose games, standing and making the regular rotation work harder to get lead back will also lead to overwork and injuries.

Giving up an advantage in hopes that you can make it up in playoffs is just as a bad strategy as playing a short rotation.

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

We shouldn't let injuries drastically shorten our rotation. Next man up, those guys are on the roster for a reason.

jayydela and kjayp like this.
  8. kjayp

My main beef is keeping the starters out there - after a game is pretty much been decided... if over a third of our team cant protect a 20+ point lead with 5 minutes left... we got a real house of cards...

But I do think you have to at least try some trial and error with a couple guys... they're never gonna develop if you dont give them real game experience - in which case why even have them on the roster? I mean sure, you might have 1 or 2 projects that need to develop - in which case send them to RGV... You can try guys out in various situations of your choosing... or you can wait for injuries to make their playing time by necessity - with little to no real experience...

You can try plugging guys in - and if it doesnt work out, you move on... but it appears to me, MDA isnt even trying... He wants maximum efficiency at all times - even if its detrimental to our longterm goals.... because he wants the notoriety of running the 'most efficient offense ever' or winning 60+ games or whatever......

He's done this his whole career... either he's never had any depth - or he's got too stubborn and egotistical... trying for that Jerry Sloan award - lol!

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Didn't read the article but I don't get this whole short rotation talk.
    We are 9 deep and D'Antoni has consistently played all 9 players when they're available except for Nene.
    Harden/Paul/EG/Ariza/Luc/PJ/Ryno/Clint/Nene
    So maybe playing Black more when Nene is out and health is an issue; but we have 4 consistent bench players....That's not what I would consider a short rotation.

D-rock likes this.
  10. kjayp

and those 9 guys have missed a combined 35 games - making the average rotation less than 8 guys....
    we have 9 guys who average 10+ mins a game when they play....

by comparison...
    Spurs - 15
    GSW - 14
    CLE - 12
    and a couple randoms off the top,,,
    ATL - 14
    BOS -11

and keep in mind... we've been beating a lot of teams by wide margins ... it aint like we've been in dog fights down to the buzzer... so there shoulda been tons of garbage time minutes getting dished out to non rotation players...