1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets Salary Report

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tracymingreedy, Dec 14, 2006.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

2. uomerock

uomerock Member

a lot of money. How come Yao's that cheap? i thought he's suppose to have a MAX contract.

3. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

So, injured players stay on the books? Do they count toward the salary cap if they are too injured to play?

4. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

The amount of money you can pay a player depends on how many years he's been in the league.

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Injured players stay on the books....it's a contract. Given the nature of sports, why would you think the players' union would ever sign a Collective Bargaining Agreement allowing contracts to be voided by injury? :confused:

In some rare cases, teams can petition the league for cap relief for a player who is declared medically unable to play. But those petitions are ignored alot more than they are recognized by a wide margin.

And yes, Sura counts against the cap if he's waived or has a contract buyout.

#25 GATER, Dec 15, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  6. YallMean

YallMean Member

When Tmacs sits, Sura and Howard eats another 10 mil off the cap, you know this team is in deep trouble.

7. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

i cant believe nene and caveman almost make as much as yao does...how much does chandler make, anyone know?

Juwan Howard HOU ETO-08 $6,392,100 $6,883,800 $7,375,500 :( :( :( :( :( :(

8. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

No surprise to me, people are tired of talking about this and JHo has been destroyed so many times because of this. Noone wants to kill a dead man twice ;)

EDIT: Oops, just saw the above post :D

#28 Kindger, Dec 15, 2006
  9. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Sura had a long history of injury problems and Mike James (younger, no injury history) was available for less in amount and years (Rafer and Arroyo were other achievable FA PGs but they signed for some more than Sura, the other FA was Daman Jones but he has been disappointing). Just saying the Sura (good if healthy, but he didn't have a good track record of staying healthy)/Ward (total bust) signings to try to solidify our PG spot did not reflect great judgment IMO.

My preferences around the Sura/Ward signings were James and Jones. I would have be 50/50.

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

What's your point? That the going value for a starting caliber PG in the summer of 2004 was less than half an MLE? :confused:

Alston's FA deal with TOR that summer was 6 years and since he is making more than Sura now it was more than half an MLE.

I'm a huge Mike James fan from his days with the Celtics. But it would have been hard for even me to see how much better he was going to become. Obviously, since his deal with the Bucks that summer was only for 2 years, not many other GM's saw the upside either.

If you have a problem with anyone, it's with Rockets' personnel selection...not with my explanation. Half an MLE for 4 years is clearly a reasonable deal since James signed for 2 and was playing for a bigger pay day and Alston was signed for 6 with a higher base. Sura's deal is nearly in the middle of the two.

To paraphrase RealGM...

Explanation accepted... :p :D

#30 GATER, Dec 15, 2006
  11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hmn.

Not that we're gonna be involved, but I didn't realize that we actually could swing a deal for Iverson.

Of course, we'd have to give up what depth we have. But that could be negated if we move Iverson and pick up players from a third team.

This is all hypothetical/academic.

Bonzi won't re-sign anyway. His contract will effectively end after this season.
    Deke: expiring.
    Rybo: doesn't even play. Expiring.
    Bob Sura: doesn't even play. Contract, this year and next. But could be traded by Philly next year, when his contract is expiring.
    Padgett: just for this year anyway.
    Novak: makes half million but JVG never plays him anyway.
    (I mention Chuck Hayes but we wouldn't trade him.)

Now for the tough part, I suppose. Throw in Rafer's 4 million and I think you've hit the mark of that 85%-115%. Throw in the draft pick that Philly wants.

Let Philly waive Deke. That'd be a stipulation.

Trade Iverson to a team where we can pick up a young PG and a young big. See if Boston will bite.

OK, now I have to wake up and go back to work.

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I didn't have a problem with your explanation. But I think your implication that Sura's future injuries would be a total surprise wasn't consistent with his injury history. He was one of the more injury prone of the FA PGs of that year.

I agree Alston's contract was bad. But that was Toronto's issue--which now is our issue:). Why he got so much more than James and D Jones had to do with the price of getting a player to Canada moreso than performance or upside differences IMO.

I remember that FA season well, the potential MLE PG targets included:

-Arroyo
    -Alston
    -James
    -D. Jones
    -Sura
    -C Ward (in truth I think we were the only team looking at him, he couldn't even crack SA's rotation)

Funny how we got stuck with the worst contract from that group (Alston) and missed on the best player (James) not once, not twice, but 3 freaken times.

In fact I would take any of James, Arroyo or D Jones at their contracts than what we ended with. And yes Gater I don't fault you for that, I fault the Rockets' personnel selection.

13. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

Ryan Bowen, Lucas, Padgett, and I didn't keep going, are getting paid more than CHUCK HAYES.