1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets move toward formal offer to Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, May 19, 2016.

1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Lol when you actually know what you're talking about.

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Being drunk is enough to blurt out something like that for most people.

3. Ronkol

Ronkol Member

Considering the current "system"is an insult to basketball ethics and considering offense is actually a very big issue (not the numbers, but the usage of Harden)...

I welcome MDA.

Good chance I would actuallly start to like my team again. Sure, we won't win a ring, but right now I seriously couldn't care less.

4. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Ohh I think that last statement will be put to the test very shortly:mad:

5. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

6. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

So we had chance on getting Dave Joerger, Frank Vogel, or Jeff Van Gundy but owner did not want to interview them..

He is idiot, man. I never want to see his face again in my life

I will close my eyes when I see him on tv

7. Ronkol

Ronkol Member

I expected the hate, yet I am certain there are people who actually agree with me after the hideous spectacle of the last two years (it was often very ugly last year as well). *shrug*

I a.b.s.o.l.u.t.e.l.y. hate our lack of participation and truly hideous system.

There are two kind of fans. Those who gladly hold their noses as long as there are results and those who want to be entertained by somewhat attractive gameplay and will accept we won't win a ring.

I'm mostly in the second group.

And no coach will give us a ring right now, so I gladly welcome MDA.

I mean, do you guys seriously think JVG would somehow make KD jump ship? Because we need an infusion of someoe of that talent level to become a serious contender. The current league is a lot stronger than the 2014-2015 league as the Warriors and Cavs have gelled much stronger in a year.

8. Postcall

Postcall Member

JVG would probably want to keep Dwight or at least make it more likely that he options in.

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

I wanted a coach who would either make or break Harden. Now we get one who will let him stay a diva and show Dwight the door. People who think our offense was fine need to seriously check their skulls and search for their brain.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Thats why JVG wont be coach, lol.

11. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

LOl this is awful. I seriously hope we lose every game next season. Les wth.

12. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Do you think there second thinking their decision (Therefore the other 3 interviews happen yesterday)

Marc Berman reported last night - that the silas interview was legit for head coach- nothing was discussed over assistant coach:

would you rather go with a young upcoming Silas or would you still perfer
    Datoni?

Would you feel better if Silas was head coach and D Antoni Offensive coach

13. dje243

dje243 Member

Brian T. Smith over at the Chronicle posted an interesting piece that does make it seem like the decision hasn't actually been made. I don't know what kind of sources he has though but its an interesting read:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/columnists/smith/article/Big-picture-dictates-Rockets-hire-fresh-blood-7778600.php

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I read this piece this morning, and I found it interesting. Brian Smith has really solidified himself as the columnist in Houston that isn't afraid to speak to the frustration of the fans, but not trolly like Jerome Solomon with a snarky attitude.

Seems like based on what Brian found from calling around yesterday is that the Rockets really are at a major crossroad, and a good portion of the front office/mgmt is preparing to fully rebuild for the future, and realizes this team isn't going anywhere, and there is still a faction that is preparing to try and win now with the big "IF" a Durant, Conley, etc. signs.

That one person seems to be Les, and it sounds like everyone else in the organization knows he's wrong, but the D'Antoni hire will be based in compromise & with a path to the future.

So needless to say, it doesn't sound like D'Antoni is going to be put in a position to succeed. It sounds like there is a major disconnect between the goals of the front office and Les, and even if they are agreeable at face value, they are ready to turn things on a dime and go rebuild overnight.

Sounds like more drama awaits the Houston Rockets, and Les could lose himself a very very good GM if he doesn't agree to change. Morey is bending over backwards to make Les' opinions feel like they matter, & appease him, but at the end of the day, if Morey feels like he's fighting a losing battle with a delusional owner, he's going to leave the Rockets high and dry.

15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

The Knicks were playing pretty decent under D'Antoni before they decided to trade for Melo.

16. MoonRocket

MoonRocket New Member

Les is a swing for the fences type guy. He wants to win everyyear and will not accept a rebuild. Morey knows the roster needs to be reshaped and it will take some time. this may very well be the beggining of the end of the morely Era.

BTW I am a long time Watcher and finally decided to post. Hello everyone.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

And the Lakers played much better once Kobe got injured for the season.

We are talking about a team that had just about the worst chemistry I've ever seen in the sport, and we are bringing in a coach whose best success comes when his most talented players get hurt, or before his team has to integrate a truly talented star. The Rockets need a coach who can integrate different types of players, get them to communicate, and work together with different skill sets.... not be ostracized when they don't fit "the system" on day 1, or forced into a role as a superstar they don't agree with as they've never been that reduced in their basketball lives.

The Rockets are trying to add another piece to Harden too. Even if we are lucky enough for Harden & D'Antoni to work out, we have a proven track record in a coach that isn't able to integrate players unless they fit his offense.

Also I don't think Harden is like Melo at all, but he's more Melo/Kobe than Nash. I doubt Harden is going to work in a D'Antoni system, and its going to be more of the same as last year. If it does work out than great... the Rockets will be great on offense, and suck on defense (and be a competent team 6th - 8th seed). If it doesn't work out, you'll be seeing a coaching change by mid season once again, or even worse Harden will be forcing his way out of Houston.

What a stupid stupid coaching decision.

18. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

To all the Morey homers that are blaming Les for this I have a few questions...

First has the owner not already allowed him to hire two permanent coaches and promote an assistant to interim coach?

Has the owner not been willing to provide all resources necessary including going over the cap, paying a record sum to acquire a second round pick as well as make special concessions for acquisition of star players?

The facts are Morey inherited JVG let him go then hired Rick and let him go then hired McHale got Les to give him a guaranteed big money extension then fired him 11 games into the new deal.

Les has been willing to invest whatever is needed to win, paying a record sum for Sergio Llull and Morey has failed to bring him over, maximum resources for not only the Rockets but the Vipers and freedom to implement his strategy of shooting 3s and eliminating the majority of the mid range game.

So if y'all want to argue Les shouldn't be involved than I say it's only because Morey is failed and then he should be let go. I think Les likes Morey and believes in the overall strategy but he has lost faith in his ability to make this decision.

For the record I like a lot of what Morey does and I am definitely on the fence but to give him a free pass IMO is silly.

19. dje243

dje243 Member

It was interesting though on the rebuilding part he was clear in stating the alternatives were win-now with "the weird beard" or rebuild WITH "a more mature/evolved Harden". So it doesn't seem (at least according to the people he's getting info from) like they're toying with idea of a FULL rebuild. They may just be talking about going young and surrounding Harden with the players and coaching staff to grow together towards something better- down the road. My thought on that is... if you go all-in/status quo and fail, how likely is Harden to leave and ring chase? Is he the type of guy to stick around an be patient through a rebuild process? I don't think so. So if you're going to rebuild you had better do it really quickly and hire the RIGHT guy, not the guy he wants or fans want. The guy who will produce results. Winning cures all.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I disagree. Brian is a hack who should have been fired after the Carlos Gomez incident. Brian also wrote an entire article calling him "Antoni" with the joke that he doesn't have any "D" -- I thought I was reading another lame BBS thread.

Feigen is the only Rockets reporter that I respect.