1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets move toward formal offer to Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, May 19, 2016.

1. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Lets just hope for good basketball for the time being. I can't handle another 5-7 years of the past season.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Feigen:

Am I too down on this move & legitimacy of this with Mike D'Antoni?

2nd question first - gotta a couple texts & calls yesterday morning, he's the man to beat. He's the favorite. This is from someone who would know. Very legitimate. I was surprised by the backlash. Funny thing about it, does anyone anywhere think he was holding back the Lakers or Knicks? No. You get the Suns Mike D'Antoni. He's a heck of a coach. I didn't know he had a bad rep with people. It's not as if there was a guy we gotta get him and lost him. Different fans, readers, listeners had many opinions. I liked Vogel. If I own a team in the next 5 years, Jeff Van Gundy is the first guy I call. I'm not sure where the negative Mike D'Antoni feeling comes from.

We saw how ugly this thing ended. No one associates good defense with Mike D'Antoni. That was my reaction.

The problem isn't so specific. No coach will come in and change all that. I kept saying, this isn't J.B. Bickerstaff or Kevin McHale's fault. If you or the Rockets thought that, you're ignoring the many issues here. To me, they need to compete hard every night. That means doing all the things that come with competing — 50/50 balls, setting good screens, getting back on defense, floor balance, making the correct pass. Can a guy come in & get the respect? Can he get the respect to get that mindset? Does he have the expertise that he wins the respect in the room? Yes, you need a good defensive mind with [Mike]. Can you create a culture where guys compete hard all the time? He does have that potential. He was a respected guy among great players[Olympics]. I sure don't hold the Lakers & Knicks against him.

Why not a guy like Kevin Ollie?

They decided on long time NBA coaches. ... Also, Kevin Ollie didn't interview with any other NBA teams.

If not D'Antoni, any other names?

I think the 3 assistants today, that was we want to get to know you, you'll be good head coaches some day but better as assistants today. Silas is an impressive guy. When you're around him, you're impressed. Smart as can be. I don't think any of those assistants could blow them away. Blatt was interviewed in the beginning. I don't think it's heading that way.

•The old saying — you are what your record says you are — they were 41-41. They need to start building from there. They're not a championship contender based on who they hire. Who they hire has to build them to that.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

not sure whose words these are, but they are definitely a steaming pile of bullsh!t

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ha, that was Jonathan Feigen, just a little while ago.

And agree.

7. YaosDirtyStache

If I were the Pacers id love a D'antoni because offense seems to be their biggest problem.

Defense is ours and ****ing Pringles brings nothing to the table there.

I am gettin my anus prepared for 175 points scored against us every night.

I wish I was a baby seal so Clyde can club me.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Feigen typically tap dancing around attempting to give an opinion without offending the Rockets organization. Boy, that's reporting for you. It's akin to a flick from the '30's like The Front Page. Brave reporters risking all for the story. Way to step up, Jon. Yeah, you're my hero.

(cough, gag... puking noises in the background)

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

:grin:

Larry Bird talked about wanting to play smaller & faster — hires turtle Nate McMillan.

Daryl Morey talked about needing to improve the defense first & foremost — hires all O, no D Mike D'Antoni.

****ing bizarro world.

10. MystikArkitect

Dantoni was a bad call or two away from an NBA Finals. Let's not go overboard... JB might've been the worst coach in the NBA last year.

11. YaosDirtyStache

I would have atleast liked McMillian because I feel like he would get into the face of Haren.

12. caneks

caneks Rookie

Without Howard returning for next season, I think this is a better fit than JVG.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

homey says no coach will come in and change all that (the atrocious defense). and we just need to play harder. then goes on to say we're so bad no coach is going to make us a contender. maybe we should acquire cheap below average players too since solid ones not named KD aren't going to make us contenders anyways :rolleyes:

this f'n pathetic mouthpiece insult to actual journalists needs to go too when les inevitably and finally sells out

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, that was a D'Antoni/Rockets ass-kissing segment. Couldn't be more wrong/disagree more.

I don't understand why he keeps getting a pass for failed stints in NY & LA.

Jonathan said: Does anyone think he was holding back the Lakers or Knicks?

Okay, so he may not have "held" them back but he sure as hell did nothing to make them better.

Jonathan: It's not as if there was a guy we gotta get him and lost him.

Actually there were at least four. Thibodeau, Vogel, Van Gundy, Joerger. Choose one, pick one, any one.

Jonathan talks about needing to compete & play hard every night(clap! clap!), doing all the things that come with competing, earning the respect — basically creating a system, creating a culture and you go and hire Mike D'Antoni or tell me Mike D'Antoni is that guy? NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. See the four guys above.

1 person likes this.
  15. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

So D'Antoni's recent history is:
    2016 - Assistant Coach: 76'ers... : no comment needed
    12-14 - Lakers Head Coach: 67W - 87L - .437 (Irony there he succeeded Bernie Bickerstaff) - took them down each year he coached.
    08-12 - Knicks - Trainwreck / Resigned

Phoenix was his only real success. At Denver he was 14-36 - .280

IMHO This is not the coach we are looking for.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

At the very least Mike D is an extremist

It either works or it fails

I am thinking, if it goes south, good chance he will be sacked soon

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yep, d'antoni the master movitator, he's just a great inspiration and communicator! f'n idiots.

18. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

:eek:After reading that gruesome diatribe, Feigan needs to stick to 140 characters of other peoples words!

19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Damn lol painfully true:(

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yeah good idea. Don't hold the Knicks and Lakers thing against him - I mean, more than half of his coaching career was spent in those 2 prime marquee free agent locations, clearly nothing to do with him :rolleyes:

We should also ignore his stint at the Nuggets, it wasn't his fault they were the worst defensive team in the NBA that year he coached them.
    We should probably also ignore his first season at Phoenix where he had a stacked roster, but couldn't do much with it.

Instead we should focus on that tiny 27% of his career where he rode the coat tails of a genius point guard, Steve Nash. Let's give D'Antoni credit for his sliver of his career, and ignore the other 73% where, without Steve Nash, he sucked.

Ok, so the guy has a system, it just isn't a very good one without Nash. :mad: