1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets Grading, 2012-13 Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda23, May 18, 2013.

1. Panda23

Panda23 Member

The team did very well, surpassed all expectations even after the Harden trade. The future looks bright given our youth and cap flexibility (thanks Morey).

Jeremy Lin: B

Was highly inconsistent in his first year as a starter, however showed flashes of being a very good point guard. It is not uncommon for young players (none of this Lin is 24 stuff, he has very limited experience against NBA competition) to struggle with consistency night in night out. Developed well over the season, jumper looked better and looked very good after ASG, which was particularly necessary given Hardens late season struggles. Can look very dangerous when he is attacking the basket and his jumper is falling. However, really needs to work on at times complete lack of aggression (esp when his jumper is off), or 'ghosting' as I like to call it. Complete non-factor in the playoffs, although was noticeably extremely limited by injury.

James Harden: A

There were some doubts on CFs if Harden was truely worthy of a max contract. However he for the most part has been brilliant this season, as the Twolves announcer noted when Harden brought us home to victory, "Thats what superstars do, you give them the ball and let em work." We have not had that player since the McGrady/Yao era (although Yao was particularly succeptible to fronting eugh). But he has proven he is an elite SG with a wide array of elite offensive attibutes. There is nothing wrong with him wanting to be the hero and put the team on his back. Hes our best player, its good to see him not shirk from that. He will get better at it as his career progresses. Im not worried about him defensively. He has shown at times he can be a very competant defender, but the challenge of being #1 option/carrying the team offensively, and his first year as a starter meant his defense suffered. A scoring 4 would greately alleviate pressure.

Chandler Parsons: A-
    Overall I felt he had a very good season. Can't believe i thought McHale had lost it when he benched Budinger for him. He defense has regressed this season no doubt, but he has taken on a much expanded offensive role, and still showed his versatility when he was tasked with defending Deron Williams and Tony Parker. Has looked at times lights out during the season, but also a bit out of control early in the season. The way he stepped up in a do or die game in the playoffs was one of the highlights of the season for me. For a player on the most economically friendly contract in the NBA, he has proven to become a SF that is one of the most promising young players in the league.

Omer Asik: A

Chairman of the Boards, 25m for 3ppg!?!?!? I was very high on Asik when this signing went through. He is BIG and can move his feet very well for someone that size. The prowess of Joakim Noah limited him in Chicago (rightly so) but he has truely been a defensive anchor for this team, his influence cannot be understated. I remember when Battier started really getting praise for his defense, ability to lock down defenders, he said "It helps when you can funnel them to a 7ft6 guy", and I get that feeling with Asik. He is huge, can defend, block shots, rebound, and the impact of his sheer size negating players attacking the rim cannot be understanded. Morey said something about them being a top halfcourt defensive team, and alot of that is due to Asik. His negating of the Hack-Asik was crucial to that victory in OKC. He showed alot of progress offensively, but still at times his fumbling and lack of real touch showed. But it can be worked on.

Carlos Delfino: B-

I loved Delfino. He has that fearless gunslinger mentality, and complete confidence in his shot (even when he shouldnt). He was very streaky and at times really bailed us out. But sometimes his shot selection was downright mindboggling. Nevertheless, he can take and make those shots. He is what he has always been and that is a streaky shooter. Also i hate his playmaking. I cringe everytime he tries to go one on one. WE HAVE HARDEN FOR THAT!!

Patrick Beverley: A-

Was absolutely fantastic. Harden doesnt even get a chance for that gamewinner against SA without a 6'1 PGs chasedown block. Love his on-ball defensive intensity, and really proved to be a shrewd pickup by Morey midseason. He is a very solid PG, and I don't think you could really ask more of him given the situation he came in with. Stepped up big in the playoffs with injury to Lin, however the expanded minutes saw his defensive intenisty drop off quite a bit. Remains to be seen if he can sustain it for 35 +MPG for 82 games a season, but we dont need that. He is a very good backup, and a good foil to Lin depending on matchups/game circumstances.

Donatas Motiejunas: C

At times looked promising offensively, however physically and especially on the defensive end he has a long ways to go. Got absolutely abused at times, but touch/agility and skill is hard to come by at his height, and bigs traditionally take time to develop.

Greg Smith: C+

Was inconsistent. Looked decent in the post though, but like Dmo struggled on the defensive end. Big area of need for Houston is the backup C position. Doubtful if Smith can fill that.

Terrence Jones: B-

I think did quite well dealing with the rediculous amount of D-League callups/senddowns. But BY FAR he is my pick of the PF bunch we have. Has versatility and athetecism, and frankley looks the most talented of the bunch. I was puzzled why he featured so heavily in Pre-season, then went MIA. But he has range, talent, and I would like to see him more at the 4 if we dont make an upgrade there in FA.

Francisco Garcia: A

I cant remember the poster, but someone called it that Garcia was the real piece of trade at least for the purposes of this season. I kinda shirked it off but Garcia was fantastic defensively on Durant, and was a great 3 point threat. Would like to resign him at a much cheaper price though.

Royce White: F

I don't know what it's like to have anxiety of the order that he does, but I do know one thing, behaving like this to an employer who went out of their way, far above and beyond anything that they had to or should have, is unacceptable. He is being paid millions to bounce an inflatable ball. If people in the real world behaved like this, they would be unemployed.

Thomas Robinson: D+

Has elite athleticism, but doesnt really look like he knows what do to with it. Extremely raw. But hopefully he can develop over the offseason. Him and Jones are the two that should surface IMHO.

TL;DR THEY LOOK OK

2 people like this.
  2. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Good ratings. Very unbiased and solid. I give Parsons a A+ though, just because of the post season. There were stretches where I felt he was the only guy knocking crap down.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Jeremy Lin A+. IMHO.

4. Yang_Wenli

Yang_Wenli Member

Pretty sure there was a thread for this already.

5. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

This is sure to stir up controversy, you jive turkey.

6. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

What's a Jive Turkey? Is that a turkey who talks jive?

7. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

That was fair. good job.

8. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Royce White A+. IMHO.

9. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

It's a different guys opinion, and it's not like those Howard, Lin, smith, free agents, etc threads that just repeat itself

10. QazQay

QazQay Member

I'm too lazy to give explanations for all of these but here goes (this is considering the expectations for these players going into the season, its not just a grade on how well they played):
    Jeremy Lin: C+
    Toney Douglas: B+
    Patrick Beverley: A- (what a find)
    James Harden: B+
    Carlos Delfino: B- (Good role player with 3point shooting, lackluster in other aspects)
    Chandler Parsons: B (Improved offensively, got worse defensively. 3point shooting improvement is huge)
    Greg Smith: C-
    Omer Asik: B+ (Almost an A-. Showed some offense)
    Thomas Robinson: C- (Bit of a disappointment)
    Patrick Patterson: B- (Added an accurate 3-point shot)
    Marcus Morris: C+ (Became somewhat valuable with good 3point shooting ability for someone his size)
    Donatas Motiejunas: C-
    Terrence Jones: D+ (a little unfair because he didnt get much playing time)
    Cole Aldrich: C-
    Royce White: B (no he didnt play, but he's been an idol for many people with anxiety issues, and his consistent support via Twitter has been appreciated)

11. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

Lin gets a C- considering we are paying him 8 mil to put up 13/6. If his contract was like 3 million then I would have been okay with a B. just my opinion. :cool:

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

brb scrolling through a million threads so I dont repeat/offend anyone haha.

13. Panda23

Panda23 Member

any you're more than entitled to it! for reference though 8m isnt bad given thats basically what you pay for a non-rookie contract average PG. Nelson, Harris types. But Lin has potential, would rather him then any of those players tbh.

14. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Very Good!
    Too many cluthfans can only blame,blame,blame

15. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Jeremy Lin > Lebron James

16. Roxlove

Roxlove Member

Jeremy Lin > Lebron James > Michael Jordan

[​IMG]

17. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Nice one, agreed with most of your points, some minor adjustments I'd do:

Lin B+
    I'd cut him some slack for recovering from injuries early season, played OK second half of the season. Needs to shave his flaws - turnovers, shooting and fighting over screen. When he gets these done, he'd be back in business.

Harden A-
    still has some room for improvement in the areas of turnovers, mid-range game and defense.

Asik A-
    same, could get better in shot-blocking and catching.

Delfino B+
    I can understand the B- because of his streakiness and wild shooting, but I thought he has matured a great deal and provided extremely valuable veteran presence and leadership throughout the season.(and dunkin' on Durty Durant while having a broken bone)

Jones B
    It is looking more likely that the reasons he wasn't a big star in college was the kind of team he was on and his personality. Absolutely dominated d-league, completely versatile. Unfortunately he was injured otherwise IMO would have made a huge difference in the playoffs. Needs to work on man defense.

Garcia B+
    He was great in the playoffs but that was only 4 games. Hope he's back for more.

White D- (no E right?)
    It was a pleasant surprise that he played in the D-league, dominated several games and took the bus to Cal. Still baffled why he didn't play in the playoffs though, too stressful? :confused: Well, at least he might have tried.

18. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Look is up.

19. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

Based from logic, you should give an A+ to Jlin....aside from playing, he actually gives monetary help to the underprivileged kids in Houston. :p

20. Roxlove

Roxlove Member