1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets Future Draft Pick List

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pugsly8422, Mar 16, 2012.

1. allanivan

allanivan Member

Bucks' schedule is much easier than Knicks', and they just have to play better with that Jennings and Ellis one-two puch. Keep cheering for them.

2. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

Wiggle room

It is all up to Carmelo. He plays well...they make the playoffs. He doesn't...they lose. They are a good home team with a 2.5 games lead over Bucks. Probably be 6-7 rest of the way. Bucks HAVE TO WIN their match up or automatically lose the tiebreaker. They do have a favorable schedule and could go around 10-4 which is enough wiggle room to edge out New York by one game. Cutting it way too close though.

GO BUCKS! :grin:

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Not a chance in the world and I think there is a good chance that we can bundle picks to move up a few spots. The market for trading first round picks varies pretty wildly in the NBA, but I think a #10 + #15 might allow us to move up to #7 or so. A #10 pick plus Lowry might enable us to move up to the top 5.

Who knows maybe we can trade that Dallas pick to NJ to satisfy the obligations of that trade, but I don't know if that is even allowed. If it is allowed and if it is a #21 pick then I'd think about taking that if I was NJ.

Anyhow, you are right Morey won't add 3 guaranteed contracts with all the players we already have under contract. I also think we will likely retain Camby and drop/trade Dalembert. I think Camby would be a nice defensive mentor for Donuts.

PG Lowry
    SG Martin
    SF Parsons, Bud, Morris
    PF Scola, Patterson
    C Camby, Donuts

That's 9 players under contract and that doesn't even include Lee who is a RFA or Dragic. I think Lee is likely retained too since I don't think he will carry a big price tag in the FA market.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

It is allowed. It would simply be a trade of that DAL pick for "the pick owed by Houston from the Terrence Williams trade".

That said, I'm not so sure New Jersey takes the Rockets up on that deal. If they REALLY like a guy in this draft who falls to #21 or #22, then sure, I suppose it's possible (and would be GREAT for the Rockets). But otherwise, I think New Jersey would rather have the PROMISE of a possible #15 pick and--more importantly--a FUTURE pick to include in future trades, including any trade next summer for Dwight Howard.

5. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Would the team with the #1 overall pick trade that pick?

Anthony Davis is legit. Would you put all our assets in the Anthony Davis basket?

6. delishman

delishman Member

Our basket does not contain enough eggs to get Anthony Davis.

Happy Easter! :)

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

NO. Nothing short of Lebron James is going to get you Anthony Davis. Im not even sure the Bobcats or whoever scores the #1 pick would trade it for Kobe Bryant. He's going to completely change that franchise.

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Exactly! He is the kind of guy you build dynasties around. He doesn't even have to score much to make a difference. Just look how much an old Camby helps us. Davis will be better than Camby plus offense.

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Bima,

Could you give me a rundown on the salary costs of the three possible picks.
    What it would require to keep them if: we stash a Euro or put a player in the NBDL for a year.

(this is one of the deepest drafts I've seen, with genuinely good players available in the 20's)

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Each pick won't count a huge amount against the cap (figure just under $2M for a #14 or #15 pick; about $1.2M or so for the DAL pick), but they add up when you've got three of them. Also, aside from Evan Fournier (late first rounder), there don't seem to be any really good first round Euro stash picks this year.

If the Rockets can't trade up or make another trade for a veteran star using their picks, I think they'll make some other trade to thin out their 2012 draft haul (i.e., trading for future picks, trading back into the second round where stash picks become more likely, etc.).

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I hope that New Orleans still have their picks on the market at the end of the season.

12. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thinking back on the Eddie Griffin trade that got the Rockets the #7 pick for three first rounders, I had been holding out hope that the Rockets may be able to trade two firsts and Parsons to move into the top five for MKG. Unfortunately, it appears he will be going #2 overall and out of reach.

How high up the board do you think that offer would allow the Rockets to move?

13. Nook

Nook Member

#6 at best... #9 more likely.

14. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I'm not to sure. After Davis, I feel the next 10 prospects don't have a huge difference in value like they do in normal years. This might help us. Let's say the Bobcats miss out on Davis and are looking at the #2 or #3 pick. They could either take a MKG or Beal and be happy or they could trade for 3 first round picks and maybe a future 2nd and get 3 players that could easily be in their rotation instead of 1. It might be tempting for a team like that.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

MKG? I like him but I don't see him as a franchise changer. If we're going to move up, I want Robinson, Beal, Sullinger...

16. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's just the player I've liked for a while and thought might be available in the range that the Rockets could move up to. I was really more interested in what people thought that package would allow the Rockets to do. Three firsts got them up to #7 so I thought two firsts and a proven commodity like Parsons may even be a little more enticing. As was pointed out above, it probably depends on the needs of the teams you are dealing with.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well I sort of feel like Parsons is already a lot like MKG... big small forward who plays great defenses, passes well, handles the ball well, rebounds well, but needs work on his shooting. That's exactly what MKG is going to be as a pro, in my opinion. MKG is projected as a top 3-4 pick so that shows you just how much of a steal Parsons was.

Basically I think it's better to hold onto Parsons than trade a bunch of stuff for MKG. Guys who have a good chance to be all star shot creators in this draft are, imo, Davis, Robinson, Sullinger, and Beal. There are some other guys who could be really good but they are much riskier.

18. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

I wanted to see who on this list could use our draft pick(s).
    Cavs have 5 players next year on the books.
    Suns: 6
    Blazers: 7
    Raptors/Hornets: 8
    Jazz/Bucks/Pistons/Kings/Wiz/Bobcats: 9

Blazers/Hornets/Jazz with 2 picks each.
    Cavs/Suns/Raptors/Bucks/Pistons/Kings/Wiz/Bobcats with only 1.

Besides the Bobcats and Wizards, I see everyone else as possible
    Raptors/Kings/Pistons/Cavs/Bucks/Suns possible trade partners, but the Blazers/Hornets could flip their 2nd picks for more picks (deep draft). I don't think the Jazz would due to depth they already have and how many players already on contracts.

Most likely I see the Cavs trading their #8 if we can ship them our picks(s) and/or a good player (not a PG). I see Martin/Morris/Pick(s) for Varajao/Walton/#8

19. houstunnin

houstunnin Member

Draft me <<<<< Lol..

20. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Man I love Parsons and he is a big surprise but he doesn't have anywhere near the upside of Gilchrist. Part of what makes Parsons special is he gets it right out the gate. His bb IQ is off the charts. He picked up how to play D quicker than even vets and he does it well. But the downside is his upside is not that high. Yes he will improve but he will never be the athlete or scorer of MKG. He doesn't have anything close to that upside. He is a steal for the second round and he is contributing right now in many ways but he will never be an All Star. He doesn't have the upside of even Leonard.

Parsons will have a long solid NBA career and is steal in the second round but let's keep it real.