1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets assign Scott Machado and Terrence Jones to RGV Vipers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sgl_carlos, Nov 30, 2012.

1. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

With Delfino out, Morris plays the 3. Leaving the backup 4 spot empty.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

actually, i thought that was what would happen, but i've noticed that they kept the same rotation and have Morris coming off the bench to spell Pat at the 4 while Cook plays a lot of minutes at the 3. Of course Morris gets a little time at the 3, but from what i saw in the OKC game, most of his playing time was at the 4.

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Good. Jones looked completely lost against OKC.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Jones looked bad, yeah. I hope this means they think D-Mo is NBA ready and Jones is not.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My guess is they just want to maximize Jones' minutes and touches in RGV. Also, they need enough bodies to practice so keeping one of them in HOU makes sense.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I like what they are doing this first half of season giving all the rookies the time in both leagues at different times. I think it sends a clear message that everyone needs to get better right now, and yet, we still see a future with you and want you with the varsity team as much as possible.

7. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

I'm guessing Delfino returns next game. Hence, Jones being send to D-League.

8. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Neither of them are truly NBA ready. I don't know why GARM was so hyped up on Jones in the first place, probably from hightlighs of dunks and blockshots, but if people had followed the Rockets closely from preseason, Jones was never a good defender at 4. This move to RGV is long overdue.

Until DMo learns how to play decent defense and box out during rebounding, he will only see limited time. Best way to develop DMo is from a 4.

1 person likes this.
  9. Arthurprescott2

Was part of the reason for pulling Machado from Vipers so that he could travel to Minnesota? Hadn't occurred to me before, but now that he's going back... that's the only reason that comes to mind.

10. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Congrat's to D-Mo.

I think the Rockets recognized he clearly doesn't belong in the D-League, and would be better off playing against NBA level talent, even if it's most of the time in a practice setting.

11. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

That was what the thought was before the Tuesday game, although they did say Douglas had flu like symptoms but it seems the Vipers recall was mainly to have everyone be able to ride with the team for Wednesday.

Machado showed improvement in the D-League so I hope he continues to develop. Jones has really been rough whenever I've seen him with minutes, so getting prolonged stints on the court should help him.

Motiejunas might go back sooner or later once Aldrich is back healthy. From his own limited time on the court, I think he could stand to get more experience and likely won't get it on the bench since I don't see Sampson playing him over Morris or Smith.

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

They're going to get his stats up in the d-league so they can use him as an asset for a trade.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Not unexpected.

14. philchips

philchips Member

Here's a confused coaching staff hard at work.

15. NatrlBornChemis

Machado is too small to play in this league he has alligator arms... i never see him running an NBA team either starting or from the Bench...

T.Jones BELONGS in the D-League...he is hesitant and needs confidence, the skills are there...he just needs a lot of in game action to reinforce his belief that his decisions are the right ones...

16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It was probably insulting to even put him there in the first place.

D-Mo played against Euroleague competitions and had success against those competitions. D-League's level is far below Euroleague's

17. Grigori

Grigori Member

Well, also Tney Uglas was back to his minus 10 point swing in 2 minutes routine. With Delfino out, even Machao may have been preferrable in case Tney Uglas is really really sucking it up. With Delfino close to returning, they can just bench Uglas if needed.

18. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

You know, you guys are all probably partially right.

It's entirely possible that the decision to swap Jones/DMo is because of Jones' poor performance, a desire to constantly give all the rookies fair NBA playing time, Dmo's good performance in the DL, and Delfino returning from injury.

19. Mariachi ROCKET

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm sure they're just trying to get him some meaningful minutes in a basketball game.