1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rocket Salary Cap Mini-Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Given that the team's cap situation is changing a few times a week with all the recent deals, I though it'd be useful to provide an summary of where things stand and update as deals are made:

Here's the salary picture right now:

The Rockets are about $4M short of being able to make the reported offers to Asik ($8.36M cap hit) and Lin ($7.2M Cap Hit) if they make the reported NY trade and sign all their rookies to their expected rookie contract. They will also have 19 guys under contract after the latest Camby trade (21 if including Lin and Asik).

They can clear the necessary cap space to make the Lin/Asik offers by waiving Shaun Livingston (only $1M out of $3.5M guaranteed) and 3 of the non-guarateed guys (or waiving 2 non-guaranteed guys and delay the signing of a 1st round pick until the Lin/Asik contracts are matched or not matched).

They cannot however, sign another player while Lin/Asik situations are pending without making additional salary clearing moves. My guess is that this would be a moot point given that at least the Lin contract is expected to be rather quickly matched.

Anyhow, see table below:

<style type="text/css">
    table.tableizer-table {border: 1px solid #CCC; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;} .tableizer-table td {padding: 4px; margin: 3px; border: 1px solid #ccc;}
    .tableizer-table th {background-color: #104E8B; color: #FFF; font-weight: bold;}
    </style>

<table class="tableizer-table">
    <tr class="tableizer-firstrow"><th> Name </th><th> Notes </th><th> 2012-13 </th><th> 2013-14 </th><th>2014-15</th><th>2015-16</th></tr> <tr><td> Kevin Martin </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td> $12,439,675 </td><td> </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td> Luis Scola </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td> $9,408,207 </td><td> $10,224,622 </td><td>$11,041,037 </td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td> Courtney Lee </td><td> Renounced </td><td> </td><td> </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td> Goran Dragic </td><td> Signed with PHX </td><td> </td><td> </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td> Patrick Patterson </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td> $2,096,760 </td><td> $3,105,302 </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr> <tr><td> Marcus Morris </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td> $1,905,360 </td><td> $1,987,320 </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td> Chandler Parsons </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td> $888,250 </td><td> $926,500 </td><td> $964,750 </td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td> Greg Smith </td><td> 50% Guaranteed in 12/13 </td><td> $381,098 </td><td> $854,389 </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td> Derek Fisher </td><td> Waived </td><td> $644,005 </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Courtney Fortson</td><td>Non-Guaranteed</td><td> </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Diamon Simpson</td><td>Non-Guaranteed</td><td> </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Earl Boykins</td><td>Waived</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Jeremy Lamb</td><td>120% Scale</td><td> $2,020,200 </td><td> $2,111,160 </td><td> $2,202,000 </td><td> $3,034,356 </td></tr> <tr><td>Royce White</td><td>120% Scale</td><td> $1,645,440 </td><td> $1,719,480 </td><td> $1,793,520 </td><td> $2,751,260 </td></tr> <tr><td>Donatas Motiejunas </td><td>120% Scale-Signed</td><td> $1,361,400 </td><td> $1,422,720 </td><td> $1,483,920 </td><td> $2,288,205 </td></tr> <tr><td>Terrence Jones</td><td>120% Scale</td><td> $1,485,000 </td><td> $1,551,840 </td><td> $1,618,680 </td><td> $2,489,530 </td></tr> <tr><td>Jon Leuer</td><td>Non-Guaranteed</td><td> </td><td> </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Jon Brockman</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$1,000,000 </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Shaun Livingstone</td><td>$1M Guaranteed</td><td> $1,000,000 </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Gary Forbes</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td> $1,500,000 </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Jeremy Lin</td><td>Offer Planned</td><td> $7,200,000 </td><td> $7,200,000 </td><td> $7,200,000 </td><td> $7,200,000 </td></tr> <tr><td>Omer Asik</td><td>Offer Planned</td><td> $8,360,000 </td><td> $8,360,000 </td><td> $8,360,000 </td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Toney Doublas </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td> $2,067,880 </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Jerome Jordan</td><td>Non-Guaranteed</td><td> </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Josh Harrelson</td><td>Non-Guaranteed</td><td> </td><td> </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>SUM</td><td> </td><td> $55,403,275 </td><td> $39,463,333 </td><td> $34,663,907 </td><td> $17,763,350 </td></tr> <tr><td># of Players</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>16 </td><td>10 </td><td>7 </td><td>4 </td></tr> <tr><td>$ below $58.04 mil Cap</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td> $2,636,726 </td><td> $18,576,667 </td><td> $23,376,093 </td><td> $40,276,650 </td></tr></table>

#1 Carl Herrera, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
    18 people like this.
  2. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Nice post, thanks for the breakdown.

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

i swear i wish i could rep you CH...

it seems we share the same schedule and everynight you post atleast 3/4 things i would rep... definately one of the top posters and well informed and intelligent///

4. YaosDirtyStache

Since you cant rep him...he appointed me his rep sponge. Any time you want to rep him and youre unable, I will accept it and put it in the piggy bank and rerep him myself.

5. Carl Herrera

Another note: The Rockets also need to get rid of Courtney Lee's cap hold before making offers to Asik and Lin. So, if a Lee S&T is coming, it has to be done either within the next 2 days or after one of the Asik/Lin offers is matched (the Rockets can "unrenounce" Lee at that time and S&T him again).

Chances are they want to get thing settled within the next 2 days. Also, the Rockets need watch out how much guaranteed $ they bring back. They do have enough non-guaranteed contracts to clear additional space if need be, but there's a limit to how much can be cleared this way.

6. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Isn't scolas contract longer than one year?

7. BigMaloe

i cant rep period yet...

8. tjpatel2

tjpatel2 Member

Nice post! However, i have a question. Technically speaking, don't the Rockets still have Courtney Lee's cap hold of ~5.5M on their books because they never renounced his bird rights? They just withdrew his qualifying offer i thought.

If this is the case, doesn't it make a Courtney Lee sign-and-trade in the next day very likely since they would want to resolve his cap hold before 7/11 (first day Asik and Lin can sign).

9. BigMaloe

CH since nyk is paying toney douglases salary we still foot the cap hold correct?

10. Carl Herrera

So it is. Thanks for noticing. Edited.

11. Carl Herrera

NY likely paid HOU cash, but his salary still counts on HOU's payroll.

12. Carl Herrera

You are absolutely right... as the table indicates, the numbers are how things are assuming Lee is renounced. So, as you said, they will most likely need to either renounce him or S&T him before 7/11.

They can "unrenounce" him if Lin or Asik is matched. However, I doubt they wait for that to happen before resolving Courtney Lee's situation. A S&T, if one can be worked out, will need to happen in the next day or so.

13. BigMaloe

thought so... thank you..

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

One interesting note, looking at the above numbers, is that should OKC really have to let Harden go because of tax issues, the Rockets can actually get some really sick stuff done. They can offer OKC several young guys on cheap contracts(say Lamb, Patterson, and Toronto's 1st) and get Harden. Then have max capspace for perhaps a run at CP3 or a RFA elsewhere. Not outlandish if the Rockets actually get lucky and get into the top-3.

That said, McHale and his assistants better work their collective asses off to develop our young guys. Because there will be no veteran presence to fall back on like previous years.

15. teebone21

teebone21 Member

wow all these bench players and rookies and we still dont hve much cap space smh. Morey needs to stop collecting assets and waive some people

16. tjpatel2

tjpatel2 Member

Thanks for clarifying! I didn't realize your could "unrenounce" a players rights like that. I guess that's a nuance in the new CBA.

Also, i believe the league-minimum salary floor for this season is around 46M. It's interesting to note that even if Lin and Asik are matched and Courtney Lee is renounced, all the rockets would have to do is guarantee all of the non-guaranteed contracts on the roster to meet that floor i believe. The only problem is that they would need to consolidate some of the players because you can't have 18 players on a roster. But i'm sure maneuvering like that isn't very difficult, and at least the Rockets won't have to make a huge offer to an undeserving free agent just to meet the salary floor.

17. Carl Herrera

He'll most likely be waiving people soon enough. Until July 11th, when people can officially sign contracts and offer sheets, he doesn't need to be waiving anybody. In fact, a couple of these guys (Harrelson and Jordan) are not even officially Houston Rockets yet and cannot be waived by the Houston Rockets.

18. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Carl Herrera or any of you with good memory don't we owe a couple of second round picks to other teams.

19. Carl Herrera

The unrenounce thing only works in one situation: When you renounced a guy for the specific purpose of going after another team's restricte FA-- and it applies here since both Lin and Asik are restricted FAs.

20. ZTiger87

ZTiger87 Member

You don't think they will wait until the Dwight situation gets resolved? Its always been thought that we would keep Lee around because he is a good friend with him. We will also probably lose Martin and Lamb in a trade for Dwight.