1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Restaurant Week

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Aug 15, 2008.

1. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

anybody else doing this?

http://www.houstonrestaurantweek.com/

$35 for a 3 course meal at some of the finest dining establishments in houston with a portion going to charity.... fantastic way to try some restaurants one may not typically be able to try.

i've done *17 at the alden, quattro at the four seasons, and last night tried VOICE at hotel icon. no, i didn't choose hotel-specific restaurants... strictly coincidental. anyways...

*17 was a little disappointing. the tomato soup was good but unremarkable, the alaskan halibut w/ roasted corn pudding was delicious but the portion was quite small, particularly the corn pudding (maybe 3 or 4 full bites worth). the menu also listed "homemade pancetta" with the halibut, but i saw none :mad: .the NY strip looked more like a filet (once again very small) but was quite good, imo. the coffee and chickory ice cream was enjoyable. for an extra $15 you can do a wine pairing with each course which in our opinion was a great deal... the wines went well with each dish.

i actually didn't do the HRW-specific menu at quattro, so i cant comment on that. however, the herb gnocchi w/ pancetta, black truffles, and microgreens was fantastic. the herb-crusted ahi tuna was good, but slightly under-seasoned.

VOICE stole the show, however...

the short ribs were not available, however... instead it was a grilled flatiron steak with potatoes some sort of shaved vegetation similar to celery with i want to say an au jus sauce. but everything on the menu was superb, especially the red snapper w/ hearts of palm, melted leeks, and taragon butter... it was absolutely delicious. the pork was a little dry but seasoned perfectly. the mushroom "capuccino" was heartier than i was expecting but great nonetheless, although it was a little too salty for my tastes. all desserts were top-notch as well. we also ordered some blue lump crabcakes that were actually made almost entirely out of crab, not a lot of filler... quite good.

overall, this week has been a complete success.... i 've definitely eaten like a king this week. most dishes were done well and can honestly say i didn't have a single bad meal (or glass of wine :D ). some disappointments scattered throughout, but a great dining experience nonetheless.

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Wow, you guys should be all over Del Frisco's...

They're doing it here in dallas this week as well..

Dallas Rest. Week

Actually some restaurants are doing it for a couple of extra weeks...Is it the same way in Houston?

I missed a reservation this past Wed. night as my girl and I broke up...We had another one schedule for tonight, but I'm going with a couple of friends to Dragonfly at Hotal Zaza, some trendy place to go...I also have reservations next week at Nobu, a bad azz sushi place...

Edit: Just called Del Frisco's and they end their rest. week This coming Sunday...

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Good selections on the Dallas restaurants.... I normally stay at Zaza in Dallas when I'm there...love that place

I've been to Del Frisco's in Dallas several times, and it's a great place. The one in Houston is actually much trendier and a cool setting, though. One of my favorite steakhouses in town.

I've eaten at Nobu in Dallas several times, also. Very good sushi.

4. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Yep - a group of friends and I have reservations at Brenner's on the Bayou tomorrow where we'll be partaking in their 3-course meal.

5. SWTsig

i hit up del friscos and smith & wolensky's way too frequently as is so i tried to check out some new places that weren't steak houses.

the bar/lounge at the alden was really cool, btw.

6. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Strip House on sunday. woot.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Yeah, I heare the Zaza pool is full of hot chicks on the weekends...I've never been and am looking forward to it tonight...we'll be in and around uptown tonight...

As for Nobu, it's expensive, but the best sushi in Dallas...

8. SWTsig

9. Asian Sensation

My mouth watered and my stomach gurgled when I read that menu. FEED ME !

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Thanks for the heads up, I'm looking forward to checking out Del Frisco's

11. Fatty FatBastard

We went here on Saturday. It was alright. Not the best steakhouse I've been to, but the meal was definitely worth $35.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

SWTsig = [​IMG] :confused:

Bravo. Good reviews, sir. Based upon them, I will take Mrs. SwoLy to enjoy one of the ones you recommend. :eek:

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

cool, I'm always up for a good steak.

14. Fatty FatBastard

If the menu is the same as ours, you start with a salad (go with the house creamy avocado)

Then you have a choice of a filet mignon or a salmon dish served with some creamy mashed potatoes and creamed spinach. (do not substitute, unless you want to pay for it. My buddy got a baked potato instead and they charged him $7.)

And then for desert the choice was between a chocolate mousse or butterscotch cheesecake. Both were very good, but the cheesecake was better, IMO.

Enjoy.

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

[​IMG]

16. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I figured I would give this a bump as restaurant week is back for the entire month of August. The link is in the OP.

I have reservations for The Capital Grille tomorrow night. I'm going to try 2 or 3 restaurants a week and am open for suggestions. I'm trying to find the best bang for my $35.

17. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

can't believe we haven't talked/bumped this in a couple of years. who's going where this time around?

iii forks and hugos are on my list as always, and i think i'm going to steamboat house a try.

it starts aug 1 (a week from saturday) and goes until sep 7!

the restaurant list and more: http://www.houstonrestaurantweeks.com/

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Wow that mobile site is terrible

19. hvic

hvic Member

Peli Peli has been great but I think the original location is better.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Had it for the first time in Vintage Park. Wasn't bad at all for outside the loop.