1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Real Problem (Can cost us in playoff) Why hacking doesn't work.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by el_locoteee, Apr 11, 2015.

1. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I love trolling quant jockeys like you. I used to laugh at your types back in the days on the desk.

And I don't care for Barkley. He said Yao wouldn't do anything, yet he was an instrumental piece on the team until his foot injury.

2. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

I feel bad for you, people who troll in the internet are in general horrible peoples in real life.

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt..._machiavellianism_narcissism_psychopathy.html

3. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

4. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Problem is Harden gets too many cheap calls during regular season.
    He can't just rely that happen on playoff games. SMH.

5. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

OP acting like Pop didn't do anything special to beat us. That's where I lose you

6. RESINator

RESINator Member

Numbers this, numbers that, numbers blah blah blah

That's the problem with this analysis. You guys are under the impression that +4 during this stretch is the be all and end all defense of McHale and the Rocket's good play.

I swear Morey and his analytics have created a breed of posters who will manipulate the numbers in any way to support their argument. If you actually watched the game and not the box score you could see that our offense was visibly shaken by Pop's gameplan. Heck, look at the post-game players responses and they knew that the fouls got to them.

7. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Smith is one of the worst culprits when it comes to crap turnovers. The pass where he drives, jumps and tries to pass it for the corner three is intercepted at least twice a game I reckon.

8. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Such a proud coach?

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Honestly, as long as teams are allowed to deploy "hack-a's" they will. There ave always been bad FT shooters and there always will... but like many other rule changes that have been made to make the game more watchable (ie. hand check, defensive three second) the league can and will change this one (ie. "Fouls will only be called on offensive players within the offensive play" or "referees won't call a foul on an intentional foul away from the player with the ball"). But the league won't make the change until the integrity of the game is clearly effected...

... if McHale would have started "Hacka-Duncan" at the same time Pop was having the Spurs Hacka-Smith... that would have sent a clear message to the league offices. Ten minutes of both teams doing it. Especially with a visible player like Duncan.

Don't care if ultimately Duncan makes more of his. He was already scoring in the key anyway. And sacrificing one game... to get the league's attention, in a game that was of playoff importance? Two teams making a clear mockery of the sport?

I guarantee the rules would be changed.

Unfortunately, all we got from McHale was yet another frustrated, exasperated, helpless look, and "Smith missed a few" (um, coach, he missed 14...).

10. omgTHEpotential

I think there's a flaw in your Hack Strategy analysis. Yes, we might be shooting at a slightly better TS% than usual, BUT by hacking SA ensures that we don't go on some huge run / hotstreak. If they are confident enough in their offensive capability, this is a good strategy for them.

11. Andrew Li

Andrew Li Member

Howard, Smith plus Jones is way from enough in playoffs. Somebody tells me what we could do now. Our bench just becomes from one of the best to one of the worst.

12. roidrage

roidrage Member

HOUSTON REAL PROBLEM NO DMO....END THREAD LOL

13. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

We missed more than 20 FTs and lost by 1. If Josh had made just a few more FTs, it would've been different. The hacka thing disrupts both teams too i think.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

20 turn overs. 20 turn overs. 20 turn overs. 20 turn overs.

Edit: Houston had about 104 possessions in the game. 20 turnovers means about a 19% turnover rate. One out of every 5 possessions, even with all of the fouling.

If we remove possessions that ended in a foul, the turnover rate is nearly 24%, or one in four possessions.

#34 napalm06, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  15. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Some have said to change the rule where you are allowed to only hack 1 or 2 times per quarter. After that, it is free throws and the ball for the other team.

Others say to increase the minutes to like under 5 minutes for each quarter, so you would have to hack for the first 7 minutes. Hacking after that it will be FTs and the ball for other team.

16. dmoneybangbang

Says the guy who took time to reply to a thread. I love the irony.

17. dmoneybangbang

LOL. You do realize everything is governed by the law of physics which we interpret with our "numbers".

Sucks you're behind the curve as "big data", "numbers", "nerd stuff", has pretty much infiltrated every profession.

Again, how much were we down after hack-a-smith? The Roxs plan was to ride it out and play stingy D, and we were kept in the game by doing so.

18. hakeemthagreat

Ppl can complain but Pop is just playing to our weaknesses. I'm more concerned on why we make so many dumb azz turnovers. I mean very r****ded mistakes, EVERY game. Beginning of the year it was acceptable. But going into the playoffs we're making the same mistakes

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

AHAHAA Damn, that was funny, lol.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Definitely agree. There hasn't been much improvement on really dumb passes.

Jumping in the air and passing.
    Throwing passes behind guys who aren't looking.
    Dump offs to someone between 6 people in the lane.
    Not paying attention and deflecting passes out of bounds when you are open under the basket.
    Homerun fast break passes that float in the air for 4 long seconds.

Every time that happens a little piece of all of us dies. It's no wonder we're all crazy.

1 person likes this.