1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Press] Talking Trades with Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fritz145, Feb 8, 2008.

1. dookiester

dookiester Member

morey is one smart guy. we're lucky to have him as our GM. i love his "what gives us the best chance to win" outlook as opposed to "is this group good enough to win." that sort of rationality and foresight will prevent this team from making boneheaded deals or panic moves.

2. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Nice signature... :rolleyes:

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It was a good interview as Fritz kept it going forward, didn't try to dominate it etc. Well done, Fritz!

As to 'what was said', I believe the response elicited, "JCF: That having been said, do you feel like this current Rockets roster is good enough to compete with the top teams and challenge for a title?

DM: I think, objectively, we’re short. The teams that have won [in the past] have generally performed better than we have up to this point. That said, we’ve got a lot of factors working in our favor to say, “We don’t know how good we can be with the current group.” You know, rationally, we’re short, but there’s always an adjustment period with a new coaching staff. There’s an adjustment period with new players. A lot of our players are in their first, second, third years in the league and should improve. We haven’t had health, especially with Tracy.

So I think it’s an open question if we’re good enough. And frankly the question isn’t, “Is this group good enough to win?” the question is “What gives us the best chance to win?” And those sound the same, but they’re actually very different. And even if you know you don’t have the group to win, it still may be the best of all available options.
    " was telling.

What I wish I heard was whether DM believes a little is needed, or a whole bunch.

SAS added a little, positively, with their addition of Mighty Mouse.
    Jazz added a good piece for them, with their addition of KK.
    LAL added the proverbial 'whole bunch' with Pau Pau.
    But, PHX? They seem a whole lot more beatable to me now.

What will it be for the Rox? What should it be?

4. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Wow, step over Jonathan Feigen, we got a new sheriff in town. That's one of the best interview I have read in a while. Great questions, and great answers.

Keep up the good work!

5. mms

mms Member

Nice article. I have to lol when I read "I know he’s generally public enemy No. 1 for Rockets fans."

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You missed out on a golden opportunity here, Fritz. I think Morey was trying to give you some insight into his trading objectives or obstacles if only you would have asked. The next question should have been "What goals are you working with Mr. Morey". I don't know if he would have answered it. But my sense is he was ready to spill the beans that he has a boss who has tightened up the spending reigns after losing so much money and has no intention of loosening them unless somehow you can guarantee a championship. If you would have probed this question he may have leaked out that the owner has set the goal of dumping salary to get under the luxury tax as his number one priority.

Which means Morey's job is to try to improve the team without taking on any more salary and which makes improving this team via trade infinitesimally more difficult and picking up a player on the wire non existent. If that is the owner's goal then Morey's hands are tied. Kupchak didn't have that limitation nor even Kerr. But this Rockets team which is on the cusp of greatness needs a better point to crossover to the elite. Chris Duhon looked great lastnight Cassell is available ther are players available out there and the question is will are owner allow us to get them.

7. Layupdrill

Layupdrill Member

so basically all I got out of that interview was that Steve Kerr "has big balls" and that if the Rockets continue to win, they might be able to continue winning.

I'm sorry but I give this interview a 3/10

1-point for talking to GMDM
    1-point for not mentioning Kobe Bryant
    1-point for not asking about trading Tmac or any of our players for that matter.

:eek:

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Fritz, you're the best basketball writer in Houston not named Clutch.

9. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

for a moment there, i actually thought he meant the rox team is short, as in height short.

10. famicom

famicom Member

B.) That kind of storybook ending is nearly non-existent [in the NBA].

I'd like to point out our second championship where we were the 6th seed and had to go through 4 opponents with at least 57 wins in the season. It might not be the greatest cinderella story, but it was a storybook ending for me! :D

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Yetti Translation: things arn't all that bad, they might even get better,Les has put the Clamps on,we will work with what we have and take another look at the end of the season.
    Entertaining but said little!!!! :p

12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Great interview. I know we're not going to read anything like this from any other source, thanks for the insight. I like how Morey is candid on his thoughts about the team.

Wow, totally how I feel about the team right now. We have the talent to win it all, but looking at the first half of the season I don't think they play like it. At the same time we've been playing well lately, looking more cohesive and in control so there's still a chance that this squad will also 'give us the best chance to win.'

13. dalman

dalman Member

Basically he is saying that we do not have anyone to trade to. If Lakes offer Kobe for TMAC, which will not happen, he will take that in a heart beat.

14. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

i hope to the basketball gods that he goes after Mike Miller, play him at the 3 with tmac at the 2 and bye bye double teams, especially now that Chuck Wagon is out.

15. nokidding

nokidding Member

Great interview!

Next time, could you please ask whether they can do something with all these empty seats? Maybe they can allow the fans to move around? I also heard in England the fans are given free tickets if some tickets are still avaiable 15 minutes after the tenis game starts.

16. Guru

Guru Member

Word!