1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Press] Morey addresses the point guard problem and more

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fritz145, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My guess is that he took out a couple of paragraphs of Morey dancing around the answer to the question for the sake of brevity and lack of space. (something I could use a bit of, myself! ;) )

2. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

it's unfair to compare steve's career percentage with alston's. Steve' been the first option for most of his career.

you would not compare tmac's percentage with battier's and draw a conclusion that battier's a better shooter, right?

3. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

Problem with your line of thinking is the fact that Steve has been riding the bench and hasn't gotten a consistent look, while both Rafer and Mike have seen enough minutes that there numbers should be better than they are. Steve's numbers are pretty good for someone shaking off the rust.

Steve was never a 3 point shooter and I don't think he has been asked to be one. That would have been true with Van Gundy, but this offense is about creating opportunities for scoring, not sitting at the three point line.

No one should be saying that Steve is the answer without seeing him more, but that's the point. I think you let him play in different situations, with the starters and the second team and play to his strengths, if he helps us win games as he says he wants to do then I don't see why we can't play him regularly, if he stinks bench him. It should be the same for Steve, Mike and Rafer, put the people on the court that give you the best chance for winning, currently both Rafer and MJ are not doing that, they should see more bench time in favor of winning whether that's Steve, Brooks, or someone else.

4. battousai

battousai Member

I think the biggest issue we have is coach adelman is not happy with SF's game shape. Even himself said it in pre-season that he thought SF would be the starter. SF out of shape has cost aldelman to bench him and cost us games which we should win.

Alston is no doubt still the best passer, as he can constantly along with tmac get the ball inside to Yao. alston is a passer, nothing more. he shouldn't be playing this many minutes.

MJ is MJ shooter, not a PG who can pass

SF should be the ideal PG for us, can't score a bit, drop 3 for some, most importanly has played with yao so he should be able to pass it inside.

My take is that AB could be our future guard once he learn how to play with our two stars.

5. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Technically he does not have to force Adelman to bench him, he could just trade him away................that will FORCE the situation your asking for........... :D

6. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

No, I agree that Steve has done enough to warrant more playing time. I certainly don't think that we can make any sort of final judgement on him yet, which was kind of my point.

As long as Yao posting up is a primary option then 3 point shooting from the PG position is going to be important. Otherwise they will play off you the same way they play off Rafer now. Steve counter balances that some what by his dribble penetration, but eventually teams will play off him. He made 2 more shots than Rafer in those two games, but he is also looking to shoot alot more than Rafer, with 7 more attempts in about 20 minutes less play time.

I agree there, certainly he deserves the same chance to prove himself that James and Rafer have had. If he has one bad game I am not going to come on here and say I told you so, nor do I expect one good game to be "proof" that he should start the rest of the season. My point in posting the stats was just to show that he was good enough to be in the rotation, but not drastically out performing anyone YET. Maybe he will, but some posters act like Francis has been some sort of huge shooting upgrade, which isn't accurate.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I apologize for derailing the thread, I appreciated the article.

My sincere apologies.

Please keep posting the Houston press articles they are well written and enjoyable.

DD

8. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

everyone here thought we need good shooters surrounding yao and tmac. in yao's case, it's not completely true. we have tough time to handle the fronting defense other teams put on yao. this is the most effective way to shut down yao. yao doesn't get a lot of touches due to the fronting and the weakside defender cheating a little bit (which was not legal in the past). if yao can't gets the ball, we are stagnant when tmac is on the bench. in this situation, the more effective way is that someone can attack the basket. it is easier since yao can block the opponent big man away from the basket due to the fronting.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, if I'm visiting Houston, can you tell me which one of them is the best?

:cool:

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think Doc Rivers or someone was quoted either this year or last year that point guards were rarely traded in the league, ie good point guards.

11. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Good free throw shooter ======> Good poster. I guess. :confused:

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

What was the reason we were sticking with Rafer? Ah yes, he "HANDLES THE BALL WELL". Hrmm...Francis has 1 TO in all his minutes this season.

I'm of a mind with Feigen, Stevie's healthy, he's busting his tail, there are no more excuses for Adelman to bench him completely.