1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Press] Morey addresses the point guard problem and more

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fritz145, Nov 26, 2007.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Great article. Good questions, too the point, not too long, good responses, well written. i like your style.

2. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Good stuff. Straight to the point of what well-informed fans want to know.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Interesting read although nothing unexpected in there......

4. fadeawayjae

fadeawayjae Member

I don't Yao would ever favor rafer than the LAO DA!!!

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, that would be the idiots who think the team is going anywhere in the playoffs with Rafer as the starting PG.

Teams leave him open for a reason......you know what that reason is?

He sucks !

DD

6. daernoth

daernoth Member

I dont see why the mention of the "unholy trinity" as the problem in pg position. Steve has barely played. He obviously aint the problem. When he is given a serious chance and we still losing then include him, not before.

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I ditto that. Rocks aren't going anywhere with Rafer at the helm come playoff time.

8. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Thanks; it is a great read!

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

FACT: rafer is mentally the weakest pg and physically one of the weakest pgs

10. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

He makes up for his mental and physical weakness by his lights out shooting, his finishing ability, and his fantastic foul-free on the ball defense.

11. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Cumlative Stats for all 3 guards over the 2 games they all played in (Pheonix and Denver).

FRANCIS 43 MIN 7-20 FG, 0-5 3PT 4-4 FT 5 REB 5 AST 3 STL 1 BLK 1 TO 18 PTS

ALSTON 58 MIN 5-13 FG, 1-4 3PT 1-2 FT 4 REB 9 AST 2 STL 0 BLK 1 TO 12 PTS

JAMES 47 MIN 10-24 FG, 2-6 3PT 3-4 FT 7 REB 4 AST 2 STL 0 BLK 4 TO 25 PTS

Francis has certainly played well enough to warrant more time, but "statistically" he is 0-5 from 3, and has only made 2 more shots than Rafer while taking 7 more attempts and playing less minutes. That doesn't mean he won't improve, but let's wait and see him do it before we make any assumptions. Francis is doing a good job playing under control, with high energy, and not making careless mistakes so far, which is good to see. He is definitely more of a threat than Rafer at driving to the basket or creating his own shot. But he has a worse career 3 pt % than Rafer, so don't expect him to be a big upgrade on outside shooting, which has been one of the biggest problems with our offense this year.

12. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Very well written article and great questions for Morey!

Kudos!

13. MaxwellsTemper

Who here thinks that at some point the Rockets have to consider bundling up players to acquire a PG, particularly if it continues to be an issue? Yeah, we have 4 PGs on the roster, but I'd rather have one reliable guy than going with a pick-your-poison rotation.

I try not to get involved in the ongoing PG discussion because frankly I think each player has his benefits and glaring weaknesses. Which is why I don't argue for either Rafer, SF, or James. IMO, playing any ONE of those three guys will not drastically improve the team...

14. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Dont forget though that Francis will probably be shooting his career 3p%(or very close to it) before the season ends. Rafer won't. Because well, he is Rafer. His career percentages do not exist, and the stats you see for his career are actually randomly generated numbers based on this year's preseason. :rolleyes:

15. Summer Song Giver

Good article fritz but why do writers do this?

From the article-
    Why are there brackets around that need in this question? I always thought writers used it to explain something that the interviewee had implied but here they just seem out of place, grammar nazis, here is your chance!

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Excellent interview and a very realistic post-interview analysis.Keep up the good work.

17. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

..Does that mean we should post a little over 6 times a day?

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What is the objective relating to Mr Point Alston? Is it to play him into a trade him scenario? Is it to play him into a lead position for the Spring Tourney? Is it to play him to play 'psych' jobs on mj and Stevie? Enquiring minds want to know (before throwing someone's stones at a Toy house).

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Being that the WC is so competitive, the point should be to win games, if they are showcasing Rafer, they are making a huge mistake as he is only hurting his trade value.

Just go with what happened last year and teams will get desperate around February.

Alston can dribble, run a break and play the passing lanes, but late in games he is worthless as teams leave him wide open knowing that he will not make a shot, and it never fails that he will take a shot at the most inappropriate time.

Rafer Alston is garbage on the basketball court. PERIOD !

DD

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I am confident Francis shooting percentage will increase. I'm also confident he will draw more fouls per minute than any of the other points and he will have a better PPS than any Rafer, Luther, or James.