1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HOUSTON Oilers fans... how soon did you disown them after the relocation?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Grinds, Sep 12, 2013.

?

HOUSTON Oilers fans... how soon did you disown tem after they relocated?

1. Immediately

123 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. A few years

33 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. Texans inception

42 vote(s)
    20.6%
  4. Never... still cheer for them

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You have to remember that Houston had to play two division games and the conference championships against one of the greatest teams of all time, who themselves publicly considered the Oilers the second best team in the league. Also note that Simpson was already done as a pro and that Earl Campbell was considered the most dynamic running back since. Also just admit that football is the biggest thing in Texas, and that watching the Oilers finally getting good again since the early AFL days was great; especially after having to watch Schramm and Landry build the best run franchise in professional sports over that same time frame.

2. msn

msn Member

man, those were some fun poo-slinging threads! :cool:

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

as much as i hated watching them almost win a Super Bowl, i have to admit i felt a little redemption when the music city miracle happened. it was like a big FU to buffalo via proxy. things turned out well in the end. no super bowl ring for that old fart.

and i would never take the old name back. the oilers are associated with nothing but choking. i don't want anything to do with that franchise.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Luv Ya Blue was about a city's love affair with a team. Nothing overrated about it at all.

They freaking packed the Dome to welcome the team back after a playoff LOSS!!! Can't recall that sort of thing happening anywhere else for any other team.

5. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

I have rooted for some of the players such as Air McNair (seeing him develop into an MVP quarterback was a bittersweet treat), Eddie, Blaine Bishop, Marcus Robertson, and especially Bruce Matthews, after they had left.

To be honest, it's still a bit weird that the Oilers are gone.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If I remember right, this was a time when the NFL was actually turning pretty boring. Offenses were ultra-conservative, not many elite QB's in the league, and there were LOTS of 9-6 type games. Very few 38-35 type games like nowadays.

We as Texan fans are pretty lucky that our team has become good in the most exciting NFL era I can remember. The NFL is head and shoulders above every other pro sports league right now and conveniently, the Texans are in their prime as a franchise.

It doesn't suck being a Texans fan.

7. Raven

Raven Member

I make no secret of my NFL addiction, but I did not watch one game until we got a new team. My boycott was complete and total. My entire family simply stopped caring, and I knew other people who were the same way.

1 person likes this.
  8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I didn't like THE TITANS right away. I still liked the Tennessee Oilers for a couple seasons.

List of teams I like since 1999:
    1. Texans
    ... 2 - 30....
    31. Titans
    32. Cowboys

:eek:

9. the shark

the shark Member

the minute that Adams announced they were leaving I stopped being a DIEHARD Oilers fan.

I became a fan at 6yrs old back in '68. Suffered through those 1-13 seasons, but I was a DIEHARD and stuck by them through the good times and the bad times. When Adams said he was taking the team to Tenn I was major league PISSED OFF!!!! However if he didn't want to be here than DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOUR FAT ASS ON THE WAY OUT OF TOWN!!!

Why in the world would anyone IN Houston continue to be a fan of the Titans is beyond me. Now if you were a Oilers fan living in another city I could understand why. But living in Houston? NO FREAKIN' WAY!!!!!!!

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I was a diehard Oilers fan, but it was immediate.

If the Rockets or Astros left town, it would be the same way for me. Instant cut of the cord.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Exactly. If it doesn't say HOUSTON on it.....I'm not a fan.

Plus...to keep all the history and still change the name.....screw that franchise and Adams....

1 person likes this.
  12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The Vikings were always my NFC team even when I was a huge Oiler fan. So when they left, I just followed the Vikings exclusively. When I was a kid, I was a huge Herschel Walker, and Chris Doleman fan.

13. jbasket

jbasket Member

Only cut the cord? I would run it over, bomb it, shred it, and send it to Pluto if possible.

14. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

http://youtu.be/NsjXko9N6B0

Over-rated?! Hardly.

70,000 inside the 'Dome and twice that many turned away. HPD boarded the buses in the parking lot and said that if the fans stormed the field that they were on their own because there were too many of them and they'd been screaming and cheering for hours. It was an incredible atmosphere in Houston at the time. The team was accesible and a real part of the community. You'd see them out everywhere. The city loved them and, as corny as it sounds, they loved us right back.

1 person likes this.
  15. the shark

the shark Member

Clutch this is THE only way it could ever be!!!
    How could anyone still be a fan of the team that just left town? Again as I said in my previous post, if you were a fan of the team and lived in another city (NOT Houston) than I could understand following the team.

Did people from Brooklyn still follow (stay loyal to) the Dodgers when they left for LA? HELL NO!!!!

Did people from Baltimore stay loyal to the Colts when they left? HELL NO!!!!

Did the fans of Cleveland (Browns) stay loyal and follow them when they left to Baltimore? Again HELL NO!!!!

How can you stay loyal and follow a team that just ripped your heart out? Just CAN'T be done.

So I agree with you when they left it was IMMEDIATE!!!!!

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I would love to keep The Oilers franchise history, the records and players. Give a place for old oilers to be appreciated cause I don't think Titan fan appreciates luv ya blue and other oiler history like that

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

THAT'S RIGHT!!!

And when the going gets tough????.............

[​IMG]

18. msn

msn Member

I would also like this.

Thinking of Moon, Munchak, Matthews, and Campbell hanging from the rafters in freaking Neckville still pisses me off.

19. the shark

the shark Member

I should have also added "was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor"?

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I mostly agree...however I do know several Brooklyn and Baltimore natives who are still Dodgers and Colts fans today. It was a different time back then...less alternative options to choose from may have kept thir loyalty strong.