1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HOUSTON Oilers fans... how soon did you disown them after the relocation?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Grinds, Sep 12, 2013.

?

HOUSTON Oilers fans... how soon did you disown tem after they relocated?

1. Immediately

123 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. A few years

33 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. Texans inception

42 vote(s)
    20.6%
  4. Never... still cheer for them

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

I disowned them immediately, and pretty much swore off the NFL.

Then, like a chump, I started to get sucked back in as the team we drafted/rooted for hit their stride in the late 90's.

I was at full "omg things have finally changed and I luv u blue again!" mode in the run up to the Superbowl... thinking this was finally going to be my moment to celebrate, even ostensibly, a football championship.

Then this happened:

[​IMG]

I felt like the stupid girlfriend who took back her POS abusive boyfriend, only to be duped hardcore one last time.

That final kick in the balls cemented my everlasting hatred of that team, that city, and that liver-spotted yellow-toothed old coot they call an owner.

2. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I just want to say that I hope Bud Adams lives long enough to see the Texans win the Superbowl. Have a reporter ask afterwards how does it feel and maybe he croaks on camera.

1 person likes this.
  3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This.

Immediately for me. The second they announced they were leaving I was done.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's what you get.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Oilers were the first Houston team that I fell in love with. As a kid, that's an emotional connection that can never be replicated.

That being said, as soon as they ANNOUNCED the intention to move, I dissociated myself (also helped that the Rockets dominated everything at that time).

Even though they were in Houston for another year or so, and they drafted George and McNair,I refused to get caught up following them... because I knew this would no longer be a Houston team for much longer.

That early separation helped big-time. Didn't care that they were still called "Oilers" in Ten. Didn't want that name back when Houston was going for a new team (btw, even though the Browns kept their name/history... that's all they've really had to show for themselves since they re-started. Talk about "stuck in a rut").

It's still comical to see them honor Warren Moon and players who never even played there. Won't be long before they start chirping about how they can't make as much money in Hicksville as other teams make. In the end, them moving will ultimately be worse for THEM than it is for Houston.

No city with "-ville" in their name should ever have an NFL team.

6. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Right around the time they started to play like a playoff caliber team... I probably would have stuck with them until the Texans came around if they sucked but when they started to be good... for that fanbase I couldn't forgive that insult.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I was young when they moved, like 7-8. So I really had no concept of them. At that age, I had already had an obsession with the rocket, I didn't even know who the oilers were. Until the texans came, I loosely followed New Orleans and Denver

8. Grinds

Grinds Member

F the Titans... I never, ever cheered once they left. Their making the Super Bowl was an even bigger kick to the groin... so glad they lost.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Immediately upon the announcement. And, I pretty much left the NFL behind too. I tried to be a Saints fan for a little while (the closest team not called the Cowboys), then tried being a Steelers fan, but it never worked. At the same time, the Rockets were a great team, and I soon found this cool website called clutchcity, so football fell by the wayside. I'll watch a game now if it's convenient, but I don't follow anyone, not even the Texans.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was still with the team for a couple of years since I already had an investment and attachment with the core players, i.e. McNair, George, Bishop, Matthews, etc. Regardless of the stink Bud put over everything, those were still my guys. The superbowl was pretty painful for me.

As those key guys started to leave/retire my emotional attachment faded in connection with the emergence of the Houston's own Texans.

11. Indaface

Indaface Member

F Bud Adams

1 person likes this.
  12. Raven

Raven Member

And the way they lost.

;)

13. Grinds

Grinds Member

I know one guy who disowned the Titans, switched to the Cowboys, then remained a Cowboy. He doesn't cheer for the Texans.

He's a chump

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I still love the Houston Oilers and always will. That color scheme will never be beat. The Titans are not the Oilers.

1 person likes this.
  15. Grinds

Grinds Member

Real talk, "Luv ya Blue" is overrated..... o 'ships, 0 SB appearances

Wasn't old enough to experience it, but it sems overrated.

Phi Slama Jama > Luv ya Blue

At least UH played in the title game.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I was still enough of a fan to be peeved when they passed up Moss to get Dyson. Once they went to the Super Bowl on a freak clutch play, and almost won it by a foot; they just weren't the Oilers anymore.

17. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

Rooted for them until Fisher and VY left 2 years ago.

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Hypothetically speaking, if Bud Adams or his estate decide to give the oilers name and history back to Houston, would you take it? I don't mean just keeping the Texans identity and adding the previous division titles, retired jerseys, etc. I'm talking about abandoning the Texans name and converting the franchise into the oilers...

Have the Texans surpassed the oilers in terms of Houston identity?

19. Grinds

Grinds Member

Who did you cheer for when HOU-TEN played each other?

20. msn

msn Member

hell no.

Have the Texans surpassed the oilers in terms of Houston identity?[/QUOTE]

from the moment Houston was awarded an NFL franchise. how soon does your new wife surpass your ex in terms of Houston identity.

F the titans, and the oil derricks they rode out on.