1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston News] Dave Ward

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Boz, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Buck Turgidson

Craig Roberts was great at sports, Shara Fryer was a hottie. I don't really remember the other old-school Ch. 2/11/13 anchors. Bob Allen, sports, Ed Brandon, weather, but not much else.

2. Newlin

Newlin Member

Ron Stone, Steve Smith, and Dave Ward ruled the Houston airwaves for years. I can't imagine another city having a stronger lineup. This was before they had two people reading the news.

3. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Beach Blanket Bingo, How to Stuff a Wild Bikini, Mask....

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I wonder why Craig Roberts was let go, he and Keith Calkins at Fox 26 had interesting delivery.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The highlight of my Sesquicentennial at the Monument was riding Metro for the first time and taking a picture with Ms. Felicia Jeter, who was rumored to be having a dalliance with Chip Moody.

6. Buck Turgidson

Yes. He was great.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I miss Marvin. Channel 13 has never been the same.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think they wanted someone who would take his job a little more seriously. Roberts was under the mistaken impression that he was funny.

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Have you seen Craig now? Holy jeebus. I remember watching him when he was "young". He's aging fast.

I happened to see Ward's goodbye last night. I swear I just mentioned to my pops like a month ago "why does he still work? 50 years, retire, play golf, sit on your ass". My father said he'd never, he loved the job. Should have bet that ****er.

10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

What an icon.......when I was growing up in the 80`s he was the face of channel 13 along with Marvin. I remember watching them on TV and Stevens and Pruitt on the radio (101KLOL)......good times

11. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I was lucky to have interned at KTRK around '93. It was hard for me because they don't pay so I wasn't able to stay on after my term was up even thought they wanted me to. I remember Dave Ward was a very nice and likable guy. Friendly fellow. One day I was directing a promo and Marvin Zindler looked at me and said "just remember, if you want to work in this business you want to be on THIS side of the camera". To which point Shara Fryer said "Thats a load of bull$#1t. You do what you want to do, don't listen to him". I was horrified at he idea that someone who seemed so innocent on TV when I was growing up was telling me that something was bull$#1t. Most of the people there were very nice - Ed Brandon, Frank Billingsley, Tom Koch, Alan Hemberger, Gina Gaston etc. The only person that the crew didn't like was Bob Allen, he was kind of a jerk to the crew.

I wish Dave the best of luck. He was a true class act

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

He didn't say anything about retiring. It sounds like they wanted to replace him as news anchor, and maybe have him remain with the station in some kind of reduced role. The two sides couldn't come to an agreement.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Man, all the great memories watching Eyewitness News with Dave Ward anchoring ... unforgettable even though I left Houston almost 20 years ago now.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Channel 13 was the go to for my family -- Dave Ward is a great newsman amazing how long he has been an anchor.

15. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Don't know why but this is totally believable. He was probably forced off channel 13 to channel 11 due to being a dick

16. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

At his age and tenure I can't imagine him trying to get an anchor job somewhere else. That kind of longevity in one place is unbelievable in any profession.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Either that... or him getting cancer.

Both are pretty Dick-ish IMO...

18. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I just found saw that Alan Hemberger died - man that sucks. He was a really nice guy. He liked to play roller-hockey in the streets of Kingwood with his kids back in the day.

19. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew