1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston ISP's / 3Com Audrey

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deji McGever, Oct 3, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I snagged one of these discontined 3com Audreys from Tigerdirect: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-Details.asp?sku=M975-9000 P

I read a bunch of reviews that called it a net appliance with "Palm guts". The browser supports Realaudio and Flash. Not bad for $89.

I want to set it up for my grandparents when I get to H-town in a few days. Can anyone reccomend a cheap, no frills ISP in Houston (713 area code) that I can have ready to go when I get there?

Thanks

-Deji

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Will they be happy with a small screen?

Mango

3. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I think the small form factor and ease of use will make it un-intimidating to them. If the 640 x 480 resolution ever becomes an issue, it means they have long since outgrown it for other reasons and need to get a PC. :)

--Deji

#3 Deji McGever, Oct 3, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2001
  4. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

http://www.ev1.net

I don't remember if they have a set up fee...
    but it's 10.83 a month and they can do an auto debit from a checking account. I used them for over 2 years and was always able to connect, never a busy signal and actual nice customer service.

good luck...
    rH

5. outlaw

outlaw Member

ev1 has a $30 setup fee.
    surfbest is 12.50 per month, no setup fee, no contract, lots of houston numbers

6. Kodinh

Kodinh Contributing Member

academicplanet.com in houston is pretty cheap
    $8.99/month monthly pay
    $6.99/month annually pay
    $20 setup fee though

they raised the prices recently, when i first signed on i only had to pay $5 a month annually, i still use it with no problems

oh yeah, you might have to be in school or have children in school, they asked me for my school district when i signed up

7. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Thanks guys!

I got a ev1 account. Cheap, and they have LA dialup numbers. I can always use it as a backup at home if I ever need dialup service via my nextel data-enabled phone. Plus, the support the Dreamcast :)

academicplanet does required that you be a teacher, student or parent or I would have done it. $6.99? wow!

But thanks again...Grandma's squared away...

--Deji

8. outlaw

outlaw Member

9. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Good choice is choosing EV1 because I actually work there :D. The service is good and I was comparing with other local ISPs around the area and we are probably the best offer going around. Plus is it just me, or does the Dreamcast connects to the Net at pretty decent speeds? I think it goes faster than when I had my dialup connection on my PC.