1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Houston Islanders?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by North Star, Dec 10, 2008.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and tickets at about 1/2 the price.

2. shsu33

shsu33 Member

I'm so sick of this tease! Since the mid 90's when we thought we were gonna steal the Edmonton Oilers this has been a big tease. Atlanta, Columbus, Minnesota and Nashville got expansion teams over us. Then the Ducks, Predators, then Penguins teases. Now were suppose to get excited because maybe the Islanders could come here, did everyone forget that KC was going to give the Penguins free rent with there stadium? The Penguins didn't even visit Houston after that. I used to think it would be cool to get the Oilers back but I'd rather get the Aeros name somehow. Stealing the Predators and naming them Aeros is my top wish. Give up on it though cause its just a tease.
    We have a better shot at getting a MLL(lacrosse) team if the Dynamo stadium gets done. They only have 10 teams and want to expand, Houston isn't on the possible expansion list yet(the Dynamo downtown stadium would fix that) but Dallas is cause of the Frisco stadium.
    I'd rather everyone here not get so excited about another NHL tease and put your concentration on keeping our existing team (that won us two championships) in our city! Getting an MLL frachise would be a bonus.
    WNBA and AFL don't look too good right now and the NHL isn't coming here. I'll always pick my pipe up and dream though
    NHL- Houston Aeros
    AFL- Houston Oilers
    MLL- whatever as long as the primary color is orange
    WNBA- Houston Comets
    Its just not gonna happen though, help keep the Dynamo here ppl!

3. North Star

North Star Contributing Member

The NHL can work out in Houston if they do what the Stars did and that's promote the hell out of the sport, not necessarily the team. Start a chain of ice rinks, increase local youth hockey programs, etc.

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think the Nashville Predators were ever a "tease" for Houston. The prospective ownership group made it pretty clear that their objective was to move the team to Hamilton, ON and that's what galvanized ownership support in Nashville to keep the club.

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

The Galveston Islanders. Get 'er done <s>Morey</s> whoever.

6. plee

plee Member

And air some games on local TV channel, any channel...

7. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

This post reminds me of the dark days of rockets basketball when they were shown on channel 51 exclusively. If you didn't have cable you'd be watching fuzzy Steve and fuzzy cuttino go up for shots that you couldn't even tell went in or not due to the terrible reception.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

actually the Aeros have done a lot of that work for them. much bigger youth hockey presence today than there was when i was a kid.

9. msn

msn Member

Word.

I wish the Astros would go back to that! Remember in the last 80s (or did it start in the early 70s?) when the Astros decided, as a marketing choice (iirc), to air all 81 road games as well as some home games on Channel 26 (long before it was "Fox"). Those were the days! I'd come home expecting Scooby-Doo and catch Astros baseball instead.

Got absolutely hooked. Before long, I was watching as many road games as I could all week, then catching two games on CBS and one on NBC on Saturday. Baseball from 11am to 7pm! (Those were the DAYS!! I miss that!) Could hockey do the same thing?

10. msn

msn Member

As far as the thread title, wouldn't "Galveston Islanders" make more sense? :D

11. Happy Mac

Happy Mac Member

i believe seven lakes has a club team. my neighbors a couple houses down have seven lakes hockey stickers on their cars. i need to go check that out. a former co-worker of mine had a son who played for cy-creek's club team.

12. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

I would love to have an NHL team here in Houston. I lived in St. Louis for five years and always enjoyed going to the Blues games. It was a ton of fun and as a bunch of posters have mentioned-There is nothing like a hockey game live.

13. plee

plee Member

With DTV now, either you get the channel or you don't...but the idea is to get fan interest, I can remember I use to love to watch as many Aeros games as I could growing up. Jerry Trupiano and I think it was Mike Stansfield was a decent team to listen to for the play by play.

14. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Hurricane would be more fitting but that name is already taken

15. Poloshirtbandit

Weren't the Astros games on Channel 20?

16. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Well that was not the worst thing ever, do you remember trying to watch Steve run a break?

17. msn

msn Member

I remember the switch to Channel 20. You have to go back a few more years to remember the glory days of the rainbow guts on Channel 26 80+ days a year.

Speaking of Channel 20, does anybody else remember when they were relatively new and their tower fell down? It was horrible; I think someone lost his life. And they were down for several months, IIRC.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'm still holding out hope that the team in Edmonton will move down here and we'll have the return of the Houston Oilers albeit in hockey form.

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

An NHL franchise in Houston would be huge...Will it happen? Who knows...but I will say that I'd go and it should be a big draw...

20. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

"Look out hockey here we come, Houston Oilers number 1"