1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Home Search

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pole, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I posed a similar question a while back when my wife and I were starting to think we might like to move into the city.

We're in a full fledged house hunt right now, and we have our current home on the market. We've were looking at quite a few inner loop areas, and we've pretty much narrowed it down to the Boulevard Oaks/Southampton area (Between 59, Kriby, Montrose and Rice). Because we're too poor to live in such a rich neighborhood, we're also looking a little bit south of there in Southgate, a little bit Northeast of there in Montrose, and a little bit North of there around Kirby and Richmond and points east.

Anyway, we've been trying to avoid using Realtors to save on money, and we've really been using www.har.com quite a bit. We've also used www.houstonfsbo.com and www.buyowner.com (as well as the Chronicle). We've looked at most of the houses available, but I'm sure we've missed some. Do any of you know of any websites that specialize in for sale by owner Houston real estate? Do any of you know of anyone in those areas that are thinking of selling?

.....we've probably reached the end of our options, but I figured it was worth a try.

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

sometimes it's best TO use a realtor... i mean 6% at closing, you never even see the money. realtors have access to listings that aren't available to the public. i don't know of any other "by owner" websites... your other option is to drive around the neighborhoods yourself.

there's also http://www.erealty.com

good luck
    rH

#2 rockHEAD, Jan 18, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2002
  3. cmrockfan

cmrockfan Member

Pole, using a realtor does not cost you a dime. The seller is the one who pays the 6%.

You really need to be represented by a professional, because making an educated offer on the house you want is where you will SAVE money.

If you are looking for a mortgage loan, respond with your email address here. I am an independent mortgage banker, and I can beat any retail loan officer's price (I don't have to split a commission with anybody). If you don't want to deal with me, I will be glad to explain to you how a loan officer makes money, and how to get the best deal for you and your wife. Good luck if I don't hear back from you!

4. Pole

cmrockfan--we're using the listing agent for the Martha Turners and Greenwood Kings (those who will only pay the seller's agent if he/she is a licensed realtor), but if we find a house we like listed by another agent, I'd much rather have that three percent myself. If I hook up with a realtor, then I have no chance of getting that three percent. I have the same information available to me that Realtor's have and quite frankly, I'm confident in my appraisal abilities (not that it means anything, but I have the required 12 semester hours for my real estate license). In fact, my best friend is an appraisor.....and don't tell him, but I'd rather make my own assessments. And after using an agent in the past, I'd MUCH, MUCH, MUCH rather have my wife and I behind the wheel when it comes to the negotiating table.

However, I would like to hear what you have to say about the mortgage loan process. My wife and I have drawn a line in the sand at $375,875. We won't buy a house that costs more than that. 80% of that is $300,700 which would explain to you where we came up with that figure--no jumbos for us. We want to do an 80-15-5, so we can avoid the PMI and the escrow and a high down payment, and we can't say for sure how long we'll be at this house, though if I had to guess, I'd say about five years....still, that could drag on into 10 years and beyond, so we want to stick with a 30 year fixed, no points. Anyway, I'd love to hear what I might be missing or what else I need to know, and I'm sure I'll be happy to give you my business.

roberthablinski@yahoo.com

5. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Pole -- I know I'm digging up a 15+ year old thread, but did you ever ending up buying in any of those areas for $375k? I'm looking in those areas now and would love to hear some stories (and am jealous if you bought way back then!).

6. Pole

Wow......what a necro-bump. The short answer is "no." We looked and looked and looked, and although we found houses we could afford, we couldn't find anything we liked that we could afford. I think we got tired of looking, and one day, we started looking at the Friendswood side of Pearland, and we saw a house that was just awesome. Way bigger than we needed, but on a corner lot with (supposedly) close to a $150K in upgrades. The builder and the original "owner to be" had a falling out, and we picked it up cheaply. We ended up having to sell it when my wife got transferred to Calgary for a five year stint, and upon our return last year, we ended up in West Memorial. Close to her office in the energy corridor. Needless to say, we couldn't get into West Memorial for that kind of money, but we're also in a completely different phase of our lives than we were fifteen years ago.

One thing is for sure, my opinion on using a Realtor had not changed (we've gone through a few recreational real estate transactions in between Pearland and W. Memorial). A Realtor can be the smartest person you'll ever encounter...........but it sure as hell isn't a job requirement.

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

HAR.com is the best - as any realtor in the area will put their listings there. As far as realtors go, you can negotiate that the other party pay the realtor. When I bought my condo I had the sellers cover the entire cost.

Also, if you're up for it - you can get your real estate license in Texas 100% online. I know several people who got their license to save on the fees. It takes 2-3 months and cost $500-1000. https://www.trec.texas.gov/become-licensed/sales-agent