1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Hobby International Expansion begins in May

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Feb 6, 2013.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    I agree with all of the above. The area from 1960 to 45 is pretty much just trees.

My original qualm was with the notion that IAH is unsafe. Which it really isn't. And overall has nice areas around it, even though obviously one side is bad (near aldine, greenspoint, etc..)

2. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm quite familiar with both IAH and Hobby. Neither area would be my first or second choice to go for an evening stroll. I have had out of town visitors tell me that the area around Hobby looked dangerous. However, I fly out of Hobby on a regular basis and have had no problems at all.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Look, every Houstonian knows that IAH is near Gunspoint and that the Hobby area is pretty safe. It's all about looks and perceptions to the out-of-towners.

They get out of Hobby and see a bunch of run-down old strip malls. It's not aesthetically appealing.

Coming out of IAH, it's a nice drive around a forested area before you get to a major highway. Yes, it's close to Gunspoint but the overall area LOOKS much nicer than the Hobby area.

4. da1

da1 Member

If you go to beltway 8 or 45 via greens or rankin it's not a nice drive. Strip malls are pretty much an accurate portrayal of houston.

5. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

and they get to see la luz del mundo

6. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

I'm saying that most cities only have one major airport but Houston has two and with the continued expansion of Hobby looks even more big time. And if Ellington Field takes on commercial traffic again and/or Sugar Land is able to take on some domestic flights, we'd have even more options in the area.

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I've flown in to many airports, and they all look the same. Rarely do you fly in to a huge air port and the surrounding area is nice. Not sure what the point is. If they aren't staying around the airport while they're here, they know that's not all of Houston.

8. da1

da1 Member

I know some work is being done on Ellington but not sure if it will ever take commercial traffic again. I guess we will see.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Coming real soon y'all, we'll be just like Paris, Milan and all them other class-A worldcities.