1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Hobby International Expansion begins in May

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It is close to Greenspoint.

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    IAH?

Is that sarcasm? Greenspoint is a good ways away :confused:

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's much closer than Kingwood is. Deerbrook Mall and Greenspoint are nearly the same distance away from IAH.

4. da1

da1 Member

There is nothing unsafe around Hobby, unless you are just scared of seeing Mexican people.

1 person likes this.
  5. da1

da1 Member

Yes. If you go west, you run right into Greenspoint. That whole Airtex/Rankin/Greens area is MUCH worse than anything around Hobby. Even JFK going south is bad. The people saying hobby is unsafe sound ridiculous.

6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I fly 95% of my flights out of Hobby (Southwest), God I love that airport. I can park on site, and be at my gate (with priority boarding) in 10-12 minutes... even when busy. Just can't beat it.

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Deerbrook mall is basically one exit away from the airport.

It takes a good 15 or more minutes from the greenspoint/45 area to get to IAH
    <br>
    It also takes 15 mins from Kingwood to the airport.

So yeah, greenspoint is in the relative area I guess. Still, most of the surrounding areas (1960 and 45 being the other closest) are still than the area around Hobby
    <br>
    Let me add on here that I only use Will Clayton pkwy to get to IAH, so for me it's a hell of a lot better and something I will stick to.

Tbh though I support Houston having two international airports. I think it's great for the city.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

As someone who owns a home behind Hobby I can attest to this. Just because you see Hispanics and old stip malls doesn't mean it's dangerous. I've lived here for 5 years and I haven't heard one gun shot.

9. Svpernaut

This... I think the area around IAH is much shadier than around Hobby. Now can you be to a nicer area in a few minutes from IAH? Sure if you head out on 59, but if you're coming from Beltway down JFK, that isn't the case.

I used to work for KBR, and we'd fly people in for the LOGCAP III project to ship overseas to work in supporting the troops/wars. We'd fly in about 500 people a week. They'd stay at the hotels near IAH and Greenspoint and we processed them at Greenspoint Mall (where the Fitness Connection is now). We dealt with crime CONSTANTLY in that area around the airport. Women being accosted, pimps, whores, drug dealers, thieves, thugs... you name it.

I fly out and in to Hobby 35-40 weeks a year, and have NEVER had an issue. I've stopped at the shops, stores and gas stations all around it... sometimes even late at night and I've NEVER had an issue, nor have I ever been on high alert.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Even the 3rd ward isn't exactly the 3rd ward.

11. da1

da1 Member

1960 is not a good area at all either, and deerbrook mall is slightly better than gunspoint. Kingwood may take 15 minutes but the distance is farther than any of the places I've named. IAH is in a worse area than Hobby, much much worse. Ask anyone who has stayed in a hotel close to either airport.

12. da1

da1 Member

Lol. 45 area close to IAH is terrible until you get to the woodlands. I'm convinced you haven't actually gone around the areas around the airports. Hobby is full of working class mexicans. IAH is full of anything bad you can associate with crime.

13. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Quoted for truth!

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's all which route you take to get to and from IAH. Using Will Clayton is a LOT different than using JFK. Totally different perspectives.

Living in Kingwood, we always fly out of IAH. Takes 10 minutes to get there via 59 and Will Clayton. Never any traffic. We usually just park at one of the pay lots and take a shuttle to the airport. Easy.

If my wife flies and I pick her up, she won't call me until after she's off the plane. Me getting there takes less time than her de-planing, getting her luggage and meeting me at the pickup/dropoff area.

15. Svpernaut

They call it Gunspoint for a reason.

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

SEE, IT'S UNSAFE!! YOU ADMITTED IT!

17. da1

da1 Member

Racist :mad:

18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    You're talking about one side of IAH. And even then heavily generalizing. The other side (Will Clayton PKWY) all leads to upper middle class neighborhoods as I previously mentioned.

I will concede that the green/airtex area is pretty bad and I do avoid it.

As for not knowing the area around it, I'm pretty sure I have a better grasp on it than you do seeing as how I live literally 5 mins away from IAH.

The area from 1960 to 45 is just fine.

And Idk what you mean by the areas around 45 are terrible until the Woodlands. 45 is fine after you hit that 1960 exit. After that is cypresswood (which is aight) and then straight after that is the woodlands..

Again, I'll concede that aldine westfield is bad as well. But that entire area is kinda hidden behind the airport.

In the end I'll agree with ima. It's a matter of perspective. IAH is wonderful because I've been taking Will Clayton all these years

19. Svpernaut

I45 @ 1960 (west side) is far from fine though. 1960 east to the airport is alright I guess, since it is basically just trees.

Either way, I don't think the argument is about the area around JFK being so bad, as it is the people claiming that the area around Hobby is bad. Down Airport from I-45 is just fine, especially since the one shady motel closed down. All it really is now is a business park where MicroCache is, a few hotels and gas stations. About the same as JFK.

20. da1

da1 Member

You've got to be kidding me