1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Hobby International Expansion begins in May

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

There is. Ask anybody out of town and they will tell you that coming out of Hobby is scary because it's ghetto there. For an international airport, the area is not a great first impression for people who are landing in America.

For people of Houston, it's not scary really. We know there are worse areas to be in. Out-of-towners don't, though.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Coming from the West, I take Mykawa off 610 to Airport. Mykawa has a minimum of lights due to the railroad and you drive right past the big police command station.

3. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

i think you would like the entrance to the denver airport

4. da1

da1 Member

Lol. Jkf from iah is worse.

5. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I hope they add flights to Belize eventually. My in-laws live there and we travel frequently. I do not like IAH, except for traveling to Europe. I also do not like Continental.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I admit to being bemused by the continuing expansion of Hobby. I remember flying out of Hobby during the '60's, before Intercontinental opened. I also remember hearing that air traffic at Hobby would drop dramatically, and remain relatively low for the "foreseeable future." Ironic, isn't it? There's more traffic out of Hobby today than there was just before Bush opened, and it's still growing. I'm glad they're expanding it, and adding a lot more international flights. Since I grew up in Southeast Houston, I still have lots of family and friends in the area, and fly out of Hobby from time to time. When we had a dog, we'd drive down from Austin to leave him with a relative, and then fly out of Hobby to Mexico or the Northeast. Whenever we get another dog, we'll probably do that again.

7. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

It's a good for the status of the city to have two large international airport. Not many cities have that, technically, not even Dallas. Now if only a suburb like Sugar Land, Cypress, Katy, Baytown or Galveston could open a large domestic one, we'd be in business.

8. da1

da1 Member

:confused:

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

So out of the way. Feels like you're driving to another city to catch a flight.

10. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

They need to fix up the Car rental system at Hobby. I hate having to take a shuttle to an offsite location to get my car. Absolutely annoying.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I don't think Ive ever rented a vehicle at IAH, so it might be the same there.

11. MadMax

It's like that at most airports I've ever been too...including Denver which was talked about above.

1 person likes this.
  12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If AirTrans currently flies there from Atlanta, expect that they will out of Houston. I think their plan is to move those flights from Hartsfield to Hobby once the full integration of the two airlines happens and the renovations are done at Hobby.

Speaking of which...what the heck is taking so long to integrate the 2 airlines? It's been nearly 2 years since the announcement of the sale.

13. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah....because the area around IAH is so safe....LOL

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Continental doesn't exist. I think you mean United, which certainly does blow noodles.

15. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Interesting. I flew to Minneapolis, Orlando, Ft Lauderdale, Tallahassee, and Atlanta a few times times this year and the benefit of having an integrated car rental system just makes life so much easier. Especially compared to the hell at DFW, JFK, and Hobby.

*Yes Tallahassee is a tiny airport.

16. MadMax

you take a shuttle at Orlando's, right? last time i flew in there you had to take a shuttle to get to their lots.

17. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Hmm, from what I recall, at least with Budget/Dollar the car was available right outside the counter. Although the counter itself was quite a walk from the gate. I may be mixing up my airports tho.

18. da1

da1 Member

They are developing a train from denver airport to downtown denver, opening within the next few years. Also I think they are making trains to Aurora, Golden, and Boulder from Denver too. It's a huge project.

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

In comparison to the one around Hobby, it is light years better, yes it is. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Um, wut?

It is...

The area around IAH (from the beltway to Kingwood) consists of Kingwood, Atascosita, and Fall Creek on one side. All these are very upper middle class neighborhoods for Houston standards.

Directly around IAH is Humble which is a normal middle class neighborhood. You also have Deerbrook mall right there which is a middle tier mall.

On the other side there's that area around 45 which again is just a normal middle class area.
    <br>
    What exactly is unsafe about IAH? :confused: