1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Disrespected by Champs Sports

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by binhie, May 28, 2015.

1. Jaingfang

Jaingfang Member

That tweet bothered me in three ways:

1) Golden State is not a City

2) "Clutch City" is trademarked by the Houston Rockets, only this team can use that nickname

3) The Warriors were up the entire series, never came back. Didn't accomplish anything that was deemed "clutch"

2. binhie

binhie Member

Lines still go out the door at Champs for Jordan releases so I'm guessing at least a handful of people still shop there

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I'm sure if a media-preferred city reacted the same way, their fans would be "passionate" instead of sensitive. However, we won't ever get that chance because no one would dare mock the identity of another team. Clutch City is a well-known Houston term and for very appropriate reasons. Clippers vs. Lakers rivalry is similar to this. Varsity vs. JV, real team of LA, etc. there's bickering between fans, yet no in the media calls them sensitive.

Besides, Houston was "Clutch" City because of a headline AND the fact that they pulled through in crunch time numerous times on every scale. In-game and series record.

GS is very good, but I wouldn't use "clutch" as the best word to describe their season. More like onslaught.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good post.

And yes, I guess I too will continue not shopping there. Although I do shop at Foot Locker and I think it's all the same damn thing, so who gives a ****.

5. binhie

binhie Member

My issue has nothing to do with the Warriors at all. It's that it's a national company decided to talk trash. It's fine when an individual person does it (CEO of Champs Sports, no big deal) everyone is entitled to their own opinions but a corporation is supposed to remain unbias

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't appreciate it. It's not about me having a thin skin or being sensitive. It was a poor public relations decision from a company who should know better. Houston dollars are as green as the ones in California. The tweet shows no appreciation for what the name means to the city of Houston and makes it plain they aren't from around here, they aren't one of us -- they essentially are pushing Houston customers away and saying they aren't really interested in making Houston customers happy and earning their patronage. I'm sure the regional manager wasn't happy to see that tweet. PR groups like Champs' -- especially the social media function -- are meant to personify the company and make people identify with them and like them more. Whatever compliment they paid San Francisco with that tweet, they paid a heavier insult to Houston with it. Basically, they suck at their job.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

They don't hate the Rockets, they just love every other team more than us.

Hubie was all over Dallas' nuts all series. The refs called a lot of retaliation fouls on us and let a lot slide from GS. ESPN and others crowned GSW champions before we even started. They may not hate us, but they most definitely disrespected and dismissed us.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

you're very bothered by other peoples perceptions. a little thin skinned yourself? can you grow some thicker skin?

9. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

This.

Im glad this thread was started because I probably would have missed this...

I honestly will think twice before ever going into a Champs sports again.

10. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Agree.

F champs. They are not getting any biz from me.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Everybody cares what other people think about them.

Doesn't mean your world crumbles if other people think negative about you, but you still care.

Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Those so motivated:

Foot Locker, Inc. Headquarters
    112 West 34th Street
    New York, New York 10120
    (212) 720-3700

Media Relations
    Please contact: msignorino@footlocker.com

13. Breitbard

Breitbard Contributing Member

Dumb tweet, agreed. But you're calling the GSW fans "bandwagon"? Those fans have been rabid for years.

14. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

so will their social media manager get fired for this too?

15. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Taken down, lol

16. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Way to alienate an entire city, Chumps Sports, smh

17. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/champssports">@champssports</a> has killed tweet saying &quot;The real Clutch City is in <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoldenState?src=hash">#GoldenState</a>.&quot; Foot Locker flak did not return call for comment. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a></p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/status/604039666145189888">May 28, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. Celebriduck

Celebriduck Member

Apparently Champs does not know the definition of "Clutch". As much as I hate Lebron, I've decided to root for the Cavs to combat all this Golden State nut riding.

19. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

I don't understand how they cn be considered clutch city. What is the definition of clutch?

They've played a great playoffs and been close to flawless for most of it. They were only down vs. the Griz for a short time but came back. I wouldn't call that Clutch City. they must face true adversity and perform when the chips are stacked against them to be Clutch City. Nothing has been Stacked against them just yet.

If they win the title after being 1-3 down to Cavs, then that is Clutch City.
    Or if they lose the first 2 games at home and come back to win the series.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bad for anyone to take a city's moniker and apply it to another town. Those Rockets earned that label and the city went through a lot after the Oilers and falling down 0-2 and having to go on the road.

It's not a nice thing to do. Sensitive or not, people have a right not to like Champ sports for tweeting that.