1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Depth '14-'15

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gqgeo, Jul 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

This is why some of these guys are gone because you failed to understand and appreciate them. If you think you can find someone who can replace Asik and his dominant defensive skills inside, then you're a fool. If you think you can place anyone in place of Lin and expect him to contribute as much...you're a fool. Basically, you don't know what you're missing. Just wait until next year and find out. I'll be lmao when ever Howard and Harden rest. Elites teams will cruise pass the weak benches and then Harden and Howard will have to play extra minutes. And extra minutes mean more tiring and more turnovers and more frustration.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

I don't see Canaan & Daniels playing at same time. No D in that back court. Same reason I don't see Canaan playing Lin role is because he would be a bad fit next to Harden, again no D. I see TJ coming off the bench because he would be instant offense. And Capela will play the 4 spot (still needs to add weight & he is not strong enough to defend post) & I believe D-Mo will see more minutes at 5 than he did last season.

It's not about talent but more about fit, everyone has to complement Harden and Howard.

3. Raven

Raven Member

Last season, the difference between 4th and 9th was just six games.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I actually like the trio of D-Mo/Dorsey/Adrien, but only if they decide to utilize D-Mo correctly on offense, which I don't expect. I would like it a lot more if we could get Okafor on board. I also really like Nick Johnson and Troy Daniels, not so much sold on Canaan.

The only position that is an absolute must is a backup wing player. If Ariza were to go down or even get in foul trouble we would be in bad shape.

5. PeppermintCandy

During the regular season, we should be fine when our starting five are in.

But when Harden and/or Howard are on the bench, or one of the two takes off a few days nursing a minor injury, who'll be leading the charge or keeping the ship from sinking?

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think we'll eventually add someone of significance at the 1 to replace Smith.

Beverley/Canaan/Smith
    Harden/Daniels/Gee or Johnson
    Ariza/Papa/Covington
    Jones/Dorsey/Adrien
    Howard/Motiejunas

#66 RV6, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  7. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

Barring any roster moves, here's what I got:

(By playoff time)

Howard
    DMo
    Ariza
    Harden
    Bev

Rotation (in order of minutes):
    Canaan
    Tjones
    Dorsey
    Daniels/papa

8. anchel

anchel Member

Shouldnt we go with the bi-annual after Sessions? Proven veteran scoring PG not bad defensively.

He comes from a 5 per year contract but there's no much money left on the market right now.

9. baubo

baubo Member

You are having trouble separating what a player can do and what he actually did. These are two separate things.

Asik is a top center in the NBA. That NO paid for him as such confirms that. But Asik's production last year was that of a good backup center who was injured (or "injured" depending on your beliefs) for half the year and spent another half pouting. If you're looking at how the Rockets will do in the future based on past performance, then it's better to use Asik's performance as a gauge instead of his value.

And yes, I fully expect whoever Morey trades for with the NO's pick will contribute more than Asik did last year. He may not be better than Asik as a player, but he'll contribute more to winning because Asik barely did last year.

As for Lin, combo PGs are a dime a dozen. The Rockets will find someone on the market by mid-season when a team drops out of the playoffs and looking to trade their mediocre players.

10. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Hoya Saxa! SFS '94

11. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Isn't Powell a FA?

12. kchin

kchin Member

My sentiments exactly. We'll be lucky if we're an 8th seed.

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

Howard/Dorsey
    Jones/Kostas/Adrien
    Ariza/Kostas
    Harden/Daniels
    Bev/Johnson

I expect Johnson to play early on and often (since he plays D). Basically a second Beverley.

I think (hope) at some point we trade Dmo for his sake and out own, and get back a true stretch 4 or a more dominant guy (a la Zach Randolph). I'd love to be able to have an 8 man rotation of Jones, Kostas, and Johnson coming off the bench.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Joking, right?

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

What is it about Montiejunas that makes you want to start him seriously? This guy just isn't strong or good enough imo.

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

They would most likely be a 4th seed again as currently constructed.

17. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Please spell his name right.. he's not a rookie anymore.

But yeah, he does better playing backup to Howard (then he gets some post-time too) with occasional stints at stretch 4

18. scaramanga

scaramanga Member

playoff is gonna be painful.

19. Airdough

Airdough Member

The wailing and gnashing of teeth about this offseason is ridiculous. If you think the team will be worse, come up with something other than x player sucks or Milk Hair sucks. Try some statistical analysis or look objectively at what the rest of the conference has done (and no, the Mavs are improved but not contenders).

20. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Blazers, Spurs, Thunder, Warriors - still great
    Clippers and Mavs - significantly better
    Pelicans - looking to make a leap
    Suns - keep Bledsoe and they can be dangerous

Rockets - at this point worse than last year and its not even close. Losing Asik and Lin for Dorsey and Canaan / Ish?? Ariza is a big question mark as is the whole rookie bench.