1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Depth '14-'15

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gqgeo, Jul 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. AXG

AXG Member

Canaan, DMo and Daniels should all improve. Johnson will eventually move into the rotation. Sign Marion for the vet min to add another floor spacer who can also play backup pf and hopefully get another backup center. I'm not sold on Dorsey. Ekpe Udoh might be available for cheap.

2. SDsportsjunkie

Why? Are you disputing that Lin was an erratic ball handler (how many times did he drive the lane and leave his feet with no idea what he was going to do with the ball?) or a very streaky shooter? Lin had some very good games for the Rockets, but overall he was a mediocre player. Hope he's successful in LA

3. scaramanga

scaramanga Member

all you need is for one of the starters injured and we are done for the season...

fragile.

4. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Have you guys not seen any of the work the young guys have been putting in? At least Canaan and DMo in the Summer League has to be noticed! They've been really well down there and the best part about is that they are learning to play with each other. If Canaan and DMo both improve and their chemistry improves, that would be a nice 1-2 off the bench. I haven't heard much about Daniels and TJones and I can only hope that they are working on their game this summer. We don't need crazy drastic improvement. I'm confident in this roster's ability to cover any of the losses we have gone through this offseason.

I think DMo has gotten better this summer, and by that he became more consistent. He won't put 15 and 7 off the bench, but I think he's improved to the point where he will be reliable guy off the bench. Canaan obviously barely played last season, but he's played with confidence in the Summer League and that must mean he thinks he can take the starting role from Bev. Whether he can or can't isn't the issue, but I'm happy that he sees the opportunity and he's going for it. Daniels was beautiful in the playoffs and I hope he can maintain that level of success in scoring the ball. I don't know if Morey is done yet, but we need another wing player to back up Ariza; maybe Covington if he can return to last season's form because he has looked like shiite in the Summer League.

The success of this team is basically completely dependent on the young guys and whether or not they can adapt to the NBA and play well within it. TJones, Canaan, Dmo, Daniels, maybe Covington, will all need to play better than they did last season. It's also important that McHale can hammer it into the youngins that they need to play hard D in order to get a spot and maintain a spot in the rotation. If they improve and play hard I'm smelling Home Court Advantage at least.

5. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Well by looking at your username, that is no surprise. Lin was good some days and bad some days. He never calmed down and always was erratic. He didn't make smart decisions, and his good games would be the result of lucky outcomes on questionable decisions. His bad game would be the opposite. I liked Lin and I hope he does well in LA because he seems like genuine good guy and is someone I can relate to. However you're underestimating Canaan and Johnson, who have both seemingly put in a lot of work over the summer.

6. rockets13champs

Okafor and Shawn Marion. Then i woukd sign yuki tagashi snd stash him in dleague

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Assuming no other changes

Beverley/Canaan/Smith
    Harden/Daniels/Gee/Johnson
    Ariza/Covington/Hopson
    Jones/Motiejunas/Dorsey/Adrien
    Howard/Dorsey/Motiejunas

8. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

marion and another bigman pleaase..
    jason smith?

9. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

That bench is an almost total disgrace for a team trying to build too a championship.

Nick Johnson and Troy Daniels are the only two reserves I'd feel good bringing in, unfortunately they have about 13 mins to split between them.

10. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Compared to now last years bench were all-stars. This bench as presently constituted couldn't win a D-League game.

11. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Hurts me to look at that list. Hopefully we will it out with at least some serviceable players.

12. gqgeo

gqgeo Member

I feel confident we will have a new, young standout for our #3 guy this year!

Whether its Dmo or Tjones or Canaan, one will shine this year

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

This guy right here has valid concerns. They're written in a way that should be taken seriously, i.e. not in a mocking manner like myself and others. DH is entering his 11th year. Are we going to throw away his 11th year like we did his 10th in the name of "maintaining flexibility"? I don't get why so many people are okay with that. Why is it necessary to have a super team before you can think about prioritizing winning now over waiting for the perfect roster?

14. TheFreak

No team in the NBA has that. The Rockets and Clippers are the only teams with 2 first and second team all-NBA guys. OKC doesn't have what you are describing. SA doesn't. The Rockets have more than almost anyone but we're still waiting for an Olympic starting 5 before we try to win big for some reason.

15. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

As much as I like to start panicking about our lack of depth right now, I know Morey said that you don't win championships in July. Its still early and they still have a few months left to make moves. The trading deadline isn't until Feb. so from here on out, Morey still has plenty of time.

Our depth is horrible, and the starters will likely carry the entire team. But if our roster is still the same around March, then its time to hit the panic button.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Bev/Johnson/Ish
    Harden/Daniels/Canaan
    Ariza/Gee/Covington
    Adrien/Jones/Capela
    Howard/D-Mo/Dorsey

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Feigen said recently they're hoping Canaan will be their back up point. So I'm going to assume he's going to get first crack at it to start the season.

I don't think Capela is coming over this year. The last thing I read about him is he's coming next year. Has that changed?

I think the Rockets like Jones' ability to rebound and go. They are going to need that to keep the offense at a high pace.

18. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Based on last year, probably more like:

Bev/Canaan/Ish
    Harden/Daniels/Johnson
    Ariza/Gee/Covington
    Jones/DMo/Adrien
    Howard/Dorsey/Capela

Morey definitely needs to use the MLE and TPE BEFORE the season starts otherwise I think our record may get slightly worse.

19. TheFreak

That's because Morey's off-season lasts through February. Which means the team is basically in limbo for most of the year while he waits on the perfect deal. This uncertainty affects performance. He may swing a nice deal before the deadline, but I'd venture to say that most successful teams have their rosters set before the season starts and that continuity is beneficial in achieving an optimal regular season and playoffs. The Rockets never seem to operate under those conditions unfortunately.

20. TheRealJames

TheRealJames Member

Look at the clippers lineup god we suck...