1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. AFS

AFS Member

#12? Right now we're at #14 in AP and Coaches and BCS hasn't been released yet? :confused:

2. AFS

AFS Member

Coogs are #13 in BCS!

3. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Yeah, and coogs should be in top 10 possibly next week with victory against UAB. UH should take remaining games seriously. Go Coogs!

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Only game that concerns me is that last game @ Tulsa.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

I agree, but SMU won't be a cake walk. Tulsa is sort of a UH clone, right: high powered offense and shaky defense? Correct me if I am wrong, I don't know a whole bunch about them.

6. AFS

AFS Member

It's hard to tell a lot about them because of their stupid non-conference scheduling. They can definitely score the football. Only team where they didn't put up 20+ points was against OU. Their three losses all came from top10 teams and they're undefeated so far in conference. They're definitely a better team than their record indicates.

SMU will be a tough game, but we're much better playing at home than we are away.

7. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I would go to the BCS bowl game if they get in... or maybe just tailgate

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I think they will blow SMU off the map. Only game we have a chance of losing is the one @ Tulsa. Keenum wont lose at home. Won 21 straight as a starter at the Rob. That game @ Tulsa is @ 11a on a Friday.

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

UH football is fool's gold. High power offense but no defense at all. Beware of any Big 10 or SEC team who's main offense is power running. UH was getting trucked by Rice, which is a bad sign of how horrible the run defense is.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but UH does not belong in a BCS bowl if they're worried about getting beat by UTEP, ECU, Tulsa, or SMU.

2 people like this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Let me count the derps here.

Derp #1 - Lots of teams operate with high octane offense and shoddy defense. They reside in BCS AQ conferences and are generally regarded well. What makes us any different from those teams?

Derp #2 - Any team in the country would "beware of any Big 10 or SEC team who's main offense is power running"

Derp #3 - Getting trucked? What game were you watching? A couple of big gainers after the game was out of hand makes the box score deceiving. UH's run defense is ranked 70th in the nation in YPC. Good enough to beat out teams like Michigan, Clemson, Auburn, Georgia Tech... run the ball all you want, but it won't help you when you're trailing by 4 or 5 scores.

Derp #4 - Same stupid argument that helped build this crappy BCS system in the first place. I'm sure you said the same thing about Boise State and TCU.

Derp #5 - Of course we're worried about every game, since, you know, we're trying to run the freaking table. Kind of a big deal, tends to invoke paranoia. And beyond that, ECU has been one of the most competitive programs in CUSA for a while (just like us, regularly beat ranked and/or BCS competition), Tulsa's only losses this year have come to #1 OU, #3 OSU, and #5 Boise, and it's a roadie, so you bet your ass we're concerned. And SMU, well, anything can happen when you've got June Jones chucking the ball all over the yard.

Seriously man, that was some lazy, sloppy, weak sauce you brought to the table.

1 person likes this.
  11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Anyone who watches UH play knows there is no defense.

359 rushing yards allowed by the UH defense. And this is Rice we're talking about. That kind of run defense is horrid. Any run first offense will have a field day against the UH defense.

Boise and TCU have shown they can beat ranked opponents in stronger conferences. The last time UH scheduled any noteworthy out of conference teams was in 2009, which they ended up playing Air Force and getting heavily beat, AGAIN BY THE RUN.

Just realize it, UH has no defense. Everyone knows it. It's great for them trying to run the tables and get into a better bowl game, but the outlook isn't too great when they go up against better competition, especially when they're going to run the ball all over UH.

12. Nook

Nook Member

:rolleyes:

13. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

UH's offense is nearly unstoppable but I can't see them succeeding against a team with speed on the defensive side of the ball, like a Florida or LSU.

1 person likes this.
  14. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Um, no it's not.

It's Saturday, Nov. 26.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

UH sits smack in the middle of the most fertile recruiting soil that exists. We'll get enough kids to stay home once again, just like when we whipped butt in the SWC back in the day. The recruiting has already picked up and will exponentially, now (including the offensive and defensive lines) as we line up our new conference and stadium. I've been fortunate enough to have been raised a Cougar and grew up attending games from around 1970 on ...The SWC was a great conference and UH ruled the roost for awhile ...culminating with multiple Cotton Bowl trips against other bigtime programs....Nebraska, Notre Dame (still so painful),and Maryland(at the time was).
    The Dome would be FILLED with Cougars and fans of a hated SWC foe...Well, the stage is set for our return and no disconnect between
    the athletics department and the Prez, "commuter school" BS, or even the University of Texas is going to prevent it now. I've waited many years to see the day where UH could go toe to toe with anyone in the nation again ....

All that said, regarding our #13 ranking and the situation we face this year ......My feeling is that we will run the table and be undefeated going into the Tulsa game. It is there where we will be face a mighty challenge. Again, down the road the Tulsa's of the world won't present such a difficult equation, but for now I see that as a tossup game. And should we get past them and Boise St. loses then who knows? But time to enjoy the ride from here ....right into the future. We just need to take care of business on and off the field.

#135 Plowman, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is stoppable if they played a decent Div 1 team.

Happy for UH, all they can do is win against whom is on their schedule, but no one is on their schedule.

DD

17. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

All we can do is win out.....if we have to play in the Liberty Bowl we need to win it resoundingly. Then we have to get Piland up to speed so there isn't that much drop off.

I would say eventually people will step up and play you. But Boise has been doing this for years and only Georgia stepped up to the plate. (However Boise has become a defacto big boy and even got to use the great tool of the big-boys, a high pre-season ranking before they even played a down....why else do preseason rankings exist other than to build in a bias for the big boys.)

It's catch 22, no one will play you, then they dismiss your accomplishments and send you to the Liberty Bowl because "you didn't play anybody".

And I am sorry, anyone who thinks this years Florida team would dispatch the Coogs hasn't seen them both play.

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Yeah, it's not the strength of the team, so what prevents us from being able to compete? We're better on defense (in particular passing D, Sammy Brown is 3rd in the nation in sacks, tied for 14th with 11 interceptions) than #3 Oklahoma State. (Among other BCS AQ Teams like Texas Tech, A&M, Baylor...) By the way, did it ever occur to you that the UH defense faces the largest TOP deficit in the country due to how efficient and effective the offense is? So, in points per minute surrendered, we're actually *very* respectable. By the way, how many UH games have *you* watched this year?

I'm guessing you can't be bothered to look up how much of that came after the game was out of hand. Until the game was 20-52 (midway through the 3rd quarter), Rice had 169 yards of rushing on 34 attempts. 4.9 yards per carry. Yeah, it's a little high, but nothing like you're making it out to be.

LOL, you mean like UH has done? Victories over Pac 10, Big 12, and SEC teams. Including victories over 3 ranked opponents, most notably #5 OSU on the road.

Scheduling is done years in advance, so it's not our fault if they suck by the time we play them. And also, did it occur to you that *no one wants to play us for fear of actually losing*? And yeah, it's no wonder we lost when you consider that we had the worst rushing defense in the country that year, and Air Force had the #1 rushing offense. Big shocker, right? Plus the whole let down after being so close to the Liberty Bowl, I can't blame them for not getting up for a 2nd consecutive trip to Ft. Worth to play the same damn opponent.

They have a below average defense, but your argument is bullcrap unless you're willing to apply it to BCS AQ teams like Oklahoma State. And I'm guessing you're not willing to do that. Your lack of insight makes you hard to take seriously.

#138 DonnyMost, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  19. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

You might want to tell the athletic department.

[​IMG]

20. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

All of a sudden everyone's got an opinion on UH football. Feels good to revel in all this hate. :cool: