1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps, but given that hes already coaching the best team in Texas, that job might hold less appeal. He'd be leaving a job at a program built for success now for one that would need to completely rebuild....and if he didn't do it quickly, his reputation would be destroyed. I mean, that's really the problem with him leaving for any high profile job honestly. leaving a team that has a legitimate shot at the playoff THIS season for a program that is in rebuilding mode can't be THAT appealing.

2. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I have nothing against UH. It's probably my second favorite team in college football. But to equate UH's resources and prestige with UT's is ridiculous. If he stays at UH, it will be a credit to his loyalty and his desire to continue building at UH. However, Texas looks awfully similar to OU at the end of John Blake's tenure. The job isn't as tough as you're saying, and Herman seems confident in his ability to tackle challenging programs.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't equate their prestige or resources, I said that UH is currently a better program and is currently a contender. UT is in the garbage right now and the program would have to be rebuilt. Now it could be fairly easy to do in theory due to UT's prestige and resources....but the last Tom Herman failed to do so. Herman would be leaving a better situation for a MUCH more dangerous situation. If he can't turn around that sinking ship, his reputation would be destroyed very quickly.

4. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

"The last Tom Herman?" Please tell me you're not referring to Strong because no one characterized him that way. He's the worst strategic football coach UT has ever had. Yes, worse than Mack. Anyway, let's move on from this conversation or move it to the UT thread.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That wasn't his reputation at the time he got the job, but his reputation then has been forgotten due to taking that job. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

6. AFS

AFS Member

Damn the Louisville loss hurts our CFP chances. We need OU to win the Big 12 and chaos in Pac12. Need Washington to drop some games.

7. MystikArkitect

Louisville likely still a top 10 team when they come to Houston. If they'd gotten their doors blown off then maybe. Would prefer Michigan and Washington to lose some games either way to make it easier. Setting up Ohio State, Bama, Clemson and Houston.

8. AFS

AFS Member

I think Michigan isn't so much of an issue. Isn't it a requirement that the team wins its conference to make it to CFP? Big10 pretty much has a spot locked up regardless of whether it's Michigan or or tOSU. Pac12 and Big12 are most in danger of missing a spot. Need both to miss.

9. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

**** UT! UT ain't got nothing on UH! UH is on the the rise and will have more resources and prestige. UH is the best team in Texas and Herman will not leave UH for a garbage ass team like UT!

10. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

I highly doubt Kelly gets fired from Notre Dame. But Texas, USC, Oregon, Auburn, LSU, Penn State, and even Baylor are all attractive programs. Who would Houston go after if Herman bolted for one of those? Art Briles? Kendal Briles? Lincoln Riley? Kingsbury?

11. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Penn State and Baylor :rolleyes:

Madmanmetz and Von Rafer like this.
  12. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

It is all in the eye of the beholder. Would Herman find those highly attractive? I would guess probably not. But then again Baylor has a ton of athletes, a new stadium/facilities, and is in a fertile recruiting ground. Penn State has a rabid fan base and a storied history. They're far from dumpster fire programs.

13. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Penn State is an interesting tangent. Herman clearly has talent and options. I think the fork in the road is take a UT or LSU type position and have a Mac Brown/Les Miles type experience. That would be
    1) coach with a lot of success for about 10 years
    2) win a championship/be a contender somewhere in there
    3) eventually get fired in some unattractive manner
    4) make about $80millin in the process

or

stay in one place (I certainly hope UH,but unfortunately it could happen elsewhere) and have a Penn/Paterno TCU/Patterson type experience
    a) sleep at home with your wife and family after a day of recruiting
    b) get involved with one community
    c) win a lot of games thru good and bad years
    d) have long term, highly loved relationship based on something you built
    e) Make a butt load of money, but probably take longer to do it
    f) get a statue (just watch your assistants)

I think it boils down to how much does 3) bother you v. a) appeal to you. Herman will have success/money wherever he goes. It is just how he wants to shape his life.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Looks like Washington leapfrogged Houston in the latest AP polls. Houston remains at #6.
    In the Coaches poll, Houston is #5

#3994 Dr of Dunk, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think the current rankings are fair. UW/UH are interchangeable. Thanksgiving Saturday will eliminate Ohio State or Michigan and UH has to hope Alabama, Clemson and UW stumble along the way.

IMO, Ohio State is the best team in the country.

16. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

So I have some insider information that isn't shocking or ground breaking information. I wish I could be forward and blunt but last time I did something similar to this but with the Rockets there were some pretty big consequences for me. So take it or leave it, but thought I'd share what I know

I was told

-Big 12 chances looking really slim at this point.

-U.T. isn't just somewhere that Tom has said he'd like to go. There's something in the fine print of his contract regarding him leaving for Texas, my guess is just that if U.T. offered him he would have a cheaper buy out than other schools.

-No matter what U.T. does for the rest of the season they will fire Strong and go after Herman, their board thinks it's now or never for Herman. They want him bad.

-For those who think Herman is "different and loyal": Herman actually came to a contract AGREEMENT with South Carolina in the middle of last season, but he refused to sign it after they lost to the Citadel. Probably thinking that he has a better shot of improving his career at UH.

Now this does't mean that there isn't hope. If U.H. dominates the rest of the season then Houston could just be the best place to be for Herman, but I'd imagine with Greg Ward graduating it may just feel like a natural time for transition to Herman. Unless we get in the Big 12 or can quickly find another P5 conference to hop into It looks real grim y'all.

In the worst case scenario if Tom were to leave us, there are some great coaches. Strong, Briles:mad:, Miles.

Let's just hope for some miracles. Go Coogs.

17. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

[​IMG]

r u serious?

You aren't going to find a bigger Coog fan than me but come on man.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  18. AFS

AFS Member

I'd rather have Todd Orlando as HC than any of those three. Almost every other college football team looks soft in comparison to what this staff has done with our team. We're very physical.

BleedRocketsRed likes this.
  19. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

20. eman

eman Contributing Member

Herman would be wise to leverage all these offers, and then stay here. He has an opportunity to build a legendary program at UH, and this town would be his. While Baton Rouge has its charms...