1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars crashing the BCS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by panamamyers, Sep 27, 2009.

1. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Do any of the three, Boise St. - Houston - TCU, play each other?

I'd love to see all of them get there (undefeated).

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

No, they don't. Only one of them will make a BCS bowl. Only one automatic bid is given out to a team from a non-BCS conference (if they're in the top 12). If there are other non BCS teams in the top 12, they're SOL. They have to compete for an at large bid where I think they'll get screwed.

If you hate the BCS, you root for all 3 to win out. They might all end up in the Top 8 but two of the teams will get shut out because of the BcS. It'll add even more controversy to the system.

But if you're rooting for UH, you have to hope that in addition to UH winning out, that BSU and TCU lose as well. Otherwise, UH goes to the Liberty Bowl.

3. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

In a playoff system (which I assume you're a proponent of since you seem to want the BCS to end) it is still highly likely that only one of an undefeated Boise, UH, TCU would make the playoffs.

4. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Might not be such a great way to measure how good Houston is then either. Houston drove up and down the field, missed a couple field goals, got the shaft on a few calls that hurt them, still won the game.

5. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

AP RANKING :

UofH #12

6. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

yea right, I'll believe it when I see it. Good for UofH as a program and as a school, but put them against a USC, FL, UT or even some of the SEC teams and they'd get blow away.

but who knows stranger things have happened and maybe they're for real...

"let's not start sucking each others ***** yet"
    -Harvey Keitel

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

We're still running this ship with Briles recruits mostly. Sumlin has done a better job recruiting in one and a half years than Briles EVER did in 5 years. So there's hope.

We give up a ton of size in the OL and if you run off-tackle we might as well walk off 5 yards instead so we don't have to bother getting our uniforms dirty, we live and die by our skill players speed (and awesome hands) and Case's ability to scramble and create.

We've been winning the turnover battles, and Kevin Sumlin is a GREAT coach, and so that's how we're winning despite some gaping holes in terms of talent.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Oregon destroying Cal, makes Boise a lock for the BCS if they don't lose.

9. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Game @ Miss. St. is almost a tossup to me. They almost beat LSU (now ranked #4 in the country).

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

That's completely dependent on how many teams a playoff includes and the method of choosing the teams (conference champs vs. top "x" in the rankings or a combination of both).

FWIW, FCS has a 16 team playoff (8 conference champs + 8 at large bids). In 2010, they're extending it to 20 teams (10 conference champs + 10 at large bids, top 12 teams get a first round bye).

I'm fairly certain all 3 teams would make a playoff if it were like the one in FCS.

11. SirCharlesFan

Of the conferences that have indicated they may support a playoff system, not a single one has indicated they would go for any type of playoff system that large. Nevermind that the Big Ten, and IIRC, the Pac 10 have explicitly stated there's no way they will support a playoff.

If the BCS were to end, I'd argue that it's more likely that the system reverts back to the old format of bowl tie ins than a playoff.

An alternate option that I think is interesting but not likely is a realignment of NCAA football divisions. Create a new division where you take the non-automatic qualifying conferences and add some of the top conferences/programs from the existing Division I-AA level and hold a postseason tournament to decide the national champion.

As it is, teams outside of the SEC, Big XII, Pac 10, Big 10, and ACC are at such a financial (and competitive) advantage it is very unlikely that smaller schools would win a national title in a 16 team playoff format. Before everyone jumps down my throat for saying this, look at basketball. The last time a non-power conference team won the NCAA championship was 1990. Don't forget that UNLV was banned from postseason play in 1992. In the 80s, Louisville won a couple of titles, but you could argue that the Metro conference was a power conference in basketball.

12. le081488

le081488 Member

Doesn't matter Coach's Poll factors into the BCS rankings not the AP

COACHES POLL

and yes the coaches poll is ridiculously dumb,ask anyone, even Les Miles

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

To early to talk BCS, however, its nice to see UofH get the national pub in ESPN and ESPN U... the past couple of days...

Basically, Boise has an easier schedule than Houston and TCU, so Boise would get in if they don't lose, which is a real possibility...

14. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

The team to worry about is Boise St. Simple the team on the blue turf loose and UH win out they are in. SOMEBODY HIRE KEVIN SUMLIN NOW

15. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Ya know what I forgot about TCU

16. SirCharlesFan

????????

17. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Will this loss drop them completely out of top 25?

18. ThaShark316_28

I doubt it, but they'll be out next week...I just don't see em beating MSU.

But then again, you guys did lose to a 1-3 team that was held to 53 yards a week ago....by them hook em boys...*shakes hand across my face* cant see us :)

Matt Jackson, Where you at son? LMAO I wanted to see yall do well, but losing to UTEP is sad.

19. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Well it wasnt televised so maybe nobody will notice?

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

They will be out next week and not have a chance of returning all year unless they run the table.