1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Chronicle] Suddenly, everything's all about Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rob English, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

could someone on the forums do a cover of that song, "you oughta know" but make it say "Yao oughta know". I think it would be fitting. Random thought.

In general, I think the reason i'm most attracted to this team is because the egos (seem-like they) are non-existant. Everyone knows their role and everyone knows why they are here. No drama like Francis and Football, or the lovers quarrels of Kobe and Shaq, everyone wants to be here. Yao is kinda like MJ, hell, he may be better, in that everyone (even T-Mac) is a better player around him and because of him.

The Show

2. Ducky

Ducky Member

Absolutely, we are all here being supportive. ;)

3. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

It gives me goosebumps. I know it's early, and it's ridiculous to claim that now (especially his league part), just as silly as claiming Yao is a bust after he got crossedover against the Suns. But one can certainly hope. Yao has that right attitude to be truly great. I really hope we can all be witnesses of something great bloosoming in front of our eyes.

#23 real_egal, Nov 14, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I am with you there! Yao is performing well, so they are supporting Yao. I think the same thing would be true if T-mac was shooting 60% from the field, they would be supporting T-mac.

The only questionable ego is Bonzi, but I think that once he is healthy, he will be a team player, like it or not, in order to get his time on the court.

Yao is dominating, the team is rolling with him.

5. RoxBigFan

RoxBigFan Contributing Member

I know his teammate and health contributed to Yao's success this year, but the most important thing for Yao's motivation is his huge contract starting this year. As Chinese tradition, you lose reputation and respect completely if you do not live up to what you are paid for. Your reputation is more important than contract, law or whatever lawyers could do for you.

There are a lot of players in NBA who are paid a lot without performing. It is not going to be OK with Yao because of self-esteme. I believe the huge contract actually adds fire to Yao's game. He knows he has to live up to it.

6. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Exactly Pryuen, it's almost a case of an unbeliever jumping on the bandwaggon!

7. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Why is it that Jordan's Bulls hardly ever get mentioned with these teams? Wouldn't you say they had a similar run of dominance? Just curious.

Also, I agree with what the poster said earlier, from now on, if and when Yao has and old school game (i.e. picks up early fouls, turnovers), we have to remember to support him and know that he'll be better the next game. That's an aberration now, not the norm.

8. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Does this mean no more Trade Yao threads?

9. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

was their ever a serious trade yao thread? other than some troll from another team suggesting we trade yao for their crap? i guess i haven't really paid attention to them

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

This seems to fit here better than its own thread:

http://online.wsj.com/article/the_daily_fix.html?mod=djemFIX

THE DAILY FIX By CARL BIALIK AND JASON FRY

Yao Ming Climbs to New Peak, But Has T-Mac Aged Too Soon?
    November 14, 2006 12:37 p.m.

The Houston Rockets finished last season 29 games out of the top spot in the West, and 10 games out of the playoffs. This topsy-turvy year, with the league's four semifinalists from last season a combined 10-16 and none of them over .500, the Rockets are 5-2. They've beaten last year's finalists, the Dallas Mavericks and Miami Heat, by a combined 53 points. The best explanation for the Rockets' surge: the continued improvement of Yao Ming, in his fifth season.

Yao has increased his scoring average each year, and this season he's averaging 27.3 points in just 34.4 minutes per game, while shooting 59.3% from the field. He ranks in the league's top 10 in points, field-goal percentage and blocks, and looks even better according to the advanced stats -- like the hockey-inspired plus/minus tally -- compiled by 82games.com. Then there are more qualitative measures, such as Shaquille O'Neal's postgame comment Sunday that Yao is "pretty much" the same as always, after the Houston center collected 34 points and 15 rebounds to Shaq's 15 and 10 in a 22-point Miami loss.

"He lumped Yao with all the other pretenders for Shaq's crown as the best center in the league, saying he wasn't motivated by those who contend that Yao has surpassed his greatness," John P. Lopez writes in the Houston Chronicle. "He ignored the obvious. He harrumphed. And that was as good as passing the scepter and cloak."

Matchups against San Antonio's Tim Duncan tonight and later this week against Chicago's Ben Wallace and Detroit's Rasheed Wallace "will go a long way toward completing the transformation of not just his stature but his team's," Mr. Lopez writes.

Count MSNBC's Michael Ventre as a dissenting voice. Of Yao, Mr. Ventre writes, "He doesn't change the game when he's on the floor. He doesn't strike fear into the hearts of opponents. He's simply a prime example of isolationist basketball: A player large enough to score 24 points and grab eight rebounds a night, but who doesn't have the ability or the drive to power his team to a championship."

Mr. Ventre does note that Yao hasn't had much help in Houston -- his would-be co-star, Tracy McGrady, missed 34 games last season due to injury, and T-Mac's scoring and shooting percentage are down this year. San Antonio Express-News columnist Buck Harvey wonders if the 27-year-old is older than his years. "McGrady was drafted when he was 17, and this is his 10th season," Mr. Harvey writes. "When David Robinson was in his 10th season, for example, he was starting to wind down as a complement to Tim Duncan. So should all projections change?" Mr. Harvey says similar factors may be slowing down 29-year-old Manu Ginobili of the Spurs, and could next afflict San Antonio guard Tony Parker, who's just 24.

11. MacGreat

MacGreat Member

You know, I know and everyone knows that the drama queens are eagerly waiting for Yao's next subpar game. We will see the 'trade Yao', 'Yao can't rebound', 'Yao is worthless' again and again just because no one can play well in all 82 games of the season. Trust me. :)

12. boby

boby Member

Trust me, those "drama queens" are getting better. They are more like this right now: "Yao played a good game, but why can't he just grab the freaking ball instead of tipping it out?" or "Yao is going Ok offensively tonight, however he was totally OWNed by D. Howard by the rebound...".
    I think we just need to deal with these trolls.

13. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

At Game 5 of the Rockets-Mavericks playoff round (Rockets leading 3-2) David Stern makes this announcement:

Stern: And the media have voted, the fans have spoken..........Yao Ming has been voted as the MVP of the regular season by 202 sports writers and outlets around the media. Congratulations to Yao Ming, becoming the first center since Shaquille O'Neal to win the MVP trophy!

Rowdies: YAO MING YAO MING YAO MING YAO MING!

JVG: Right, forget about the MVP, concentrate on the game.

14. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Great! Except that It should be at game 6 if Rox leading 3-2 :)

15. aaaccchhhooo

aaaccchhhooo Member

omg....nba.com have Yao as the one of the RACE FOR MVP players...i would never thought I would see the light of day !!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :cool: :D

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I disagree. I think we should trade Yao now. His stock will never be higher than after a couple of good games. Maybe we could get Darius Miles or J. J. Reddick for him. Heck, if we just cut him now, we may have a shot at Oden in the draft.