1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Chronicle] Rockets sign Kelenna Azubuike

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Chuck Breezy

Chuck Breezy Member

SCREW U!!! I THOUGHT I SHOULD PUT IT UP JACK ASS!!!!
    MY BAD IF ITS AWREADY ON THE THREAD WHICH I DOUBT!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: !!!!!!!

2. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

hypothetical conclusions:

- say goodbye to head. We brought in two unproven SG's this offseason. His only value is trade value.

- We aren't directly looking to get a PF. Meaning more substantiation to Battier at 4 and/or that we have to package head with Juwan to get anything (duh?)

- Morey + JVG aren't completely impossible when it comes to exploring new young talent. The entire "bring in only veterans/ culture over talent" may have been overhyped by Gay vs. Battier and that Battier will be just that more productive.

- We are not building around Yao or McGrady but Chucky Hayes.

3. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

We need to sign this guy up for a multi-year deal! We need an a Stromile Swift replacement.

We gotta have that one guy on the team that half the BBS thinks JVG is stinting their growth. Azubuike with his one spectacular dunk a game fits that bill perfectly.

4. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

Sign a Backup Center and a Good PF, no more guards. :mad:

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Oh my!

I was gonna go at you - then I stopped to check your profile and realised your all of 18 years old...so i'll take it easy...

A) ease up on the tone and the CAPS.

B) I was just ribbing you, as often happens on this particular BBS. If you follow my instructions and learn, you might be around long enough to work this out. We hate because we love.

C) check your facts, the dunk clip you posted was already a part of the package appearing previously on this thread.

D) I hear Ritalin can help...

Psyche. :p

6. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

...and you reached these conclusions because we signed an ungaurenteed contract ...just like we do every year... for a young player to fill out the practice roster in training camp? :rolleyes:

7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

That 4th conclusion is a doozy. Thanks for filling us in on that.

8. DaGlide

DaGlide Contributing Member

Just making a funny. You can rest assured that I was not attacking Feigen's journalistic integrity.

9. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

Head is not going anywhere. If they trade him they are going to regret it. This guy has so much game and has been working on it every day. I don't think kelenna or snyder will be on the team.

10. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

you dont think Snyder will make the team?

can you please clarify

11. yaoza ming

yaoza ming Rookie

What is a non-guaranteed contract? Is he officially on the team or what? :confused:

12. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

basically yaoza, if he cuts the mustard (plays well) in training camp (the annual sleep-over boy scout cookie making contest) then he gets paid money to play in the regular season. As long as he makes cookies for all the coaches and his teammates.

13. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

He will probably make the team. I just don't see it working out.

14. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Now we need a nickname for this guy!

Buki :D

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Ya, it sounds to me like they are setting themselves up in case they want to deal one of the guards later on(probably Head). We all know he's being shopped and it only makes sense to prepare for when he's gone.

I'm not opposed to this strategy. I look at teams like Dallas and San Antonio as inspiration here - they have good teams, but they set their sights on filling out the roster with low risk/high reward players. This is how they have managed to stay competitive for such a long time. Azubuike sounds like the poor man's (shorter) Rudy Gay to me. Stop me if you've heard this one before....

Then the article challenges whether he has the desire to play all out every night and ends with his fabled college coach calling out his lack of passion/motivation. That pretty much wraps up Rudy Gay AND Azubike.

....plus I think Azubuike was one of those guys who got bad advice to come out of college when he wasn't quite ready...it makes sense for the Rockets to pick him up now since he has had a little more time to develop. Hopefully at this point you will see some of his motivation issues answered since he has been forced to decide whether he wants to be a full time pro basketball player....

I like this pickup(even if he doesn't see a lot of playing time this year).

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'm going to judge Azubuike completely by his performance at Kentucky, mainly because I have no idea of how well he has done since then.

First the good: His athleticism is unreal. The man is as athletic as the Luol Dengs and Andre Iguodala's of the world. His shot isn't bad, albeit a little streaky. He's a pretty good catch-and-shoot player from mid-range. His defense is decent, although he uses his athleticism more than knowing how to defend.

Now the bad: He is (was?) an atrocious ball-handler. I'm not talking about just a few turnovers a game. When he put the ball on the floor, normally nothing good could happen. If he had a two-dribble open path to the basket, it would be a highlight real dunk. If he had a three-dribble path with someone along the way, it would be a turnover.

There's nothing wrong with giving the guy a shot, but I wouldn't expect him to make the team.

17. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Snyder? :eek: You do know he ended up starting for N.O./OKC, right? He will be a significant rotation player for the Rockets next year.

18. josh123

josh123 Member

didnt we like REALLY need another big man?

i guess luther can slide into the 4 spot when need be :(

19. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

I don't really see how this signing helps us.....But maybe he will work out..I hope so....we still need a bakc up C/PF and another outside shooter...this guy shot 30.6% ffrom the ARC...thats worse than Rafer...

20. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I only have one thing to say. He can dunk, which easily makes him the 3rd most athletic player in our team already. Give one spectacular dunk a night and its worth it. Kinda the way Swift played only without the 40 mil.