1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Chronicle] Rockets give Van Gundy non-coaching option

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, May 17, 2007.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

gator...you promote tanking?

2. Fuse

Fuse Member

JVG would be horrible as a scout...

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

HELL YES !!!!

It got the Rockets Hakeem and Ralph..........

If the team is eliminated from the playoffs it makes sense to play nothing but younger guys and let them learn on the go........

Someone has to think of the future...JVG is too much in the now.

DD

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Maybe he just promotes doing whatever it takes to get better.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

losers mentality. tisk tisk.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Tanking? Or in a lost season allowing young players to develop in game situations so they become better assets to the team next year. If they win games, then great the team improves it's overall talent level. If they lose they are still getting game time and they move up in the lottery.

On the other hand we could play old vets that aren't part of the future to win games that are meaningless. Was there anything accomplished at the end of that season other than losing out on Brandon Roy?

it's obvious.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We're still arguing about the couple of games we should have lost in '05-'06 to improve our lottery position, the games being meaningless at the time re the playoffs? Amazing. One of the things I'm still ticked off at Van Gundy about.

8. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Funny comments. I'm so sure that if we tanked and played young "talent" that you would all be asking for Jeff to get a contract extension :rolleyes:

Fact is we were a few plays away from beating the team that is going to the Western Confernce finals. A team that is without question more talented from top to bottom than ours. Their bench rotation would be starting for us. We over achieved if anything, and I find it rediculous to think the fans here would have been more happy missing the playoffs just so the 53rd pick in the draft could "develope". Some how I think you all would still be calling for JVG's head, and frankly in that situation it would be hard for anyone to argue against it.

9. DaDakota

Morph, The tanking talk is refering to last year when JVG played his veterans in meaningless games which cost the team a chance at Brandon Roy.

Not this year.

DD

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I was talking about the year we were in the lottery and were not going to the playoffs. I wasn't talking about THIS season. :rolleyes:

11. Precision340

Precision340 Member

JVG is as good as gone! I'd be very surprised if he sticks around and take a non-coaching job. I hope the Rox can maintain their defensive intensity next season. I'm all for more offense but I don't want us to be another Washington Wizards.

12. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Maybe his comments were, but I have seen plenty of comments saying we should have developed talent this year and played Spanoulis, Snyder and Head because we shouldn't be "trying to win now". The problem is of course with one year on your contract would ANYONE employ that strategy and expect to be extended? Would any rocket's fan really be happy with that?

Sure some of you say you would now, after we lost in the first round. But I doubt you were saying that at the start of the playoffs when we had home court and a 2-0 lead.

13. DaDakota

Ah, but playing those guys and developing them does not necessarily mean more losses, but it does mean you get data for the future..

DD

14. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Here is a question for delusional fans like you:

Did you really expect ANY coach to win a title with the teams we have had over the last 4 years? Keep in mind the four years prior to JVG we had zero play off appearances, and Yao and Luther are the only draft picks still with the team from that "rebuilding" period.

It's not like Phil Jackson taking over Shaq and Kobe in their prime, or Larry Brown taking over the Pistions who made the Eastern Conference Finals the year before.

I mean you act like we had a better option than Rafer and Hayes and JVG just wasn't using him. I'm fine with Adelman as a coach, but I don't expect that change alone to make us contenders. Improving the roster is a thousand times more important than which coach who has never won a title is going to take over next year.

15. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Come on now... Developing implies letting them play thru mistakes. Mistakes are almost certainly going to result in at least ONE more loss. One more loss and we don't have home court. Bottom line is that none of you who want JVG gone now, would be clamoring for an extension for him if he played Spanoulis and Novak more and we still lost in the first round. Considering how long Yao was out we could have missed the playoffs all together and it would have been understandable. How many other teams or coaches lose their top scorer and rebounder for 2 months and still get home court advantage?

16. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Good post Gater.

17. awo86

awo86 Rookie

it actually does. its as simple as that....look at the spurs. they even lost to the celtics by playing boner :cool: .

18. awo86

awo86 Rookie

i bet u ur dick that alston will start and maybe ur balls that hayes will start even if adelman becomes our coach next season. barring roster changes of cuz.

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

This situation is pissing me off.

I love Jeff Van Gundy and I hate that he is being treated the way he is by the organization. Can anyone in the Rockets front office grow some balls and tell him "You're fired" or "We're giving you a contract extension". The players should have some input as well, I don't understand why the hell the Rockets are being so dam indirect about their feelings.

20. DaDakota

I guarantee he has been told, but neither side is telling the fans....we will find out when the contracts are signed after the negotiations are over.

DD