1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Chronicle] Rockets give Van Gundy non-coaching option

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, May 17, 2007.

1. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

This is soooooooo weird dude.

Both sides need to **** or get off the pot.

GUNDY: Either you want to coach or you dont......

ROCKETS: Make him an offer if you think he is your guy, or move on......

My View: MOVE ON!!

Van Grumpy had his run for 4 years and we didnt make it out of the first round - sorry but as a fan and in any business for that matter, I expect results - not progress, moral victories or broken promises. We used HIS team that HE assembled. Sorry but using bench players as starters (Alston and Hayes arent starters no matter what your argument is) is not going to get you far in the playoffs.

Our bench consisted of 3 players:
    1. A 40 year old center
    2. A washed up over-paid PF
    3. A 2nd year player who choked come playoff time.

Does anyone really know the true potential of V-Span, Novak, JLIII, or Kirk Snyder? I sure as hell don't.

Bottom Line is that Van Gundy has not delivered results in his 4 years in Houston - At any company he would be fired.

2. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Sorry had to re-post..... :D

This is soooooooo weird dude.

Both sides need to **** or get off the pot.

GUNDY: Either you want to coach or you dont......

ROCKETS: Make him an offer if you think he is your guy, or move on......

My View: MOVE ON!!

Van Grumpy had his run for 4 years and we didnt make it out of the first round - sorry but as a fan and in any business for that matter, I expect results - not progress, moral victories or broken promises. We used HIS team that HE assembled. Sorry but using bench players as starters (Alston and Hayes arent starters no matter what your argument is) is not going to get you far in the playoffs.

Our bench consisted of 3 players:
    1. A 40 year old center
    2. A washed up over-paid PF
    3. A 2nd year player who choked come playoff time.

Does anyone really know the true potential of V-Span, Novak, JLIII, or Kirk Snyder? I sure as hell don't.

Bottom Line is that Van Gundy has not delivered results in his 4 years in Houston - At any company he would be fired.

3. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

assistant coach maybe? defensive coordinator for the texans errr i mean rockets. lol

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Is it just me that thinks our management is full of p*****s?

For god sake nobody has the balls to say the old fashion "you're fired". No these guys are making it like it's prom and will only say yes if the other person says yes first. Man this is getting way out hand with back and forth and no one is willing to blink 1st. For the 1st time in my life I wished with had strong authoritative type owner like George Steinbrenner who would just lay down the fist and say "enough is enough I'm the boss and this **** is over cause I said so". :mad:

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's clear the Rockets would like to have him back. They are just at loggerheads over JVG's conditions whatever they may be.

If they truly wanted to be rid of him and there was indeed a rift between the two they would have no reason to offer him another job of any kind.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I feel that the Ownership,GM,and JVG all have divergent ideas of where to go from now. This doesn't look good for the future of the ball club. These problems have to be resolved before the Rockets can move forward.

7. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

the Rockets' management WAS/IS lousy anyway. Dont need to negotiate through newspaper. If you dont have a decision, just keep your mouth shut.

But the Rockets management is really thin in NBA experience. Do you really think Les is comfortable with Morey as GM after 1 year tutorship from CD? So, maybe it's a position to work with Morey on the basketball operations.

We dont need Larry Brown to have this kind of drama.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Wouldn't it be funny if JVG was doing a Bonzi, ie wanting a bigger contract.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

Rockets can't let him go until the 30th of June and JVG can't quit until 3 days after the end of the season.

They're in no rush, it's only fans being impatient.

10. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I don't think he is a greedy person but I can't think he knows he failed but doesn't want to admit it so he is looking at someone else to find him the easy way out. Also he might feel a bit of jealousy if Adelman comes in and succeed with the roster he help build. Anytime you get a chance to coach a duo like T-Mac and Yao and not get the win must be tough to digest for him maybe that is why he is souring about leaving.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Les - "I got non-coaching option for you. Welcome to my doghouse Gundy."

[​IMG]
    Gundy - "Back in NY I was Red Auerbach"

[​IMG]
    Vspan - LOLzzzz

12. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Wouldn't it be cool if they replace Clyde with JVG to do color for the games?!!

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Now you got it. This mess is on Les. Be a man and just cut JVG, bring on Adelman, let the posturing end and take full responsibility (and credit) for the results.

14. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Then why all this soap opera drama? Can't they both just keep their mouth shut and wait a month before making this public spectacle?

I thought you could fire a coach at any point in time but then again it's a no-brainer Les is a cheap b*stard and he rather save a few bucks then his integrity. Sad no cajones for a guy a named Leslie :D

15. Jd1

Jd1 Member

head coach -> assistant coach of the same team? I don't think any head coach in NBA would do it.

I don't really get why people think JVG and Adelman work together would produce the defense of JVG and offence of Adelman. That's 2 very different philosopies right there. Imagine imposing 2 religions on 1 person.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

LOL :D

17. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Jeff Van Gundy President of Operations sans Isaiah Thomas. If Adelman falters, then Jeff can make a comeback. Or maybe it's like the Pat Riley deal. Gundy goes upstairs and lets Adelman coach.

18. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

No way in hell will he be an assistant to any NBA coach. He could be in the front office though, and have a little bit more control over personnel decisions, like someone said before, the Pat Riley type deal. He could still work with Yao and T-Mac one some defensive things, one-on-one.

19. bbjai

bbjai Member

is it possible to have two head coachs like in the NFL? where they have two of them one for d one for offence.
    that would be an interesting idea

20. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

I don't understand why so many people are totally sure that this is finished, that the Rockets want to fire JVG, and that they're just spinning things until they can officially can him, or whatever. Is that a possibility? Sure, but the situation seems far more ambiguous to me. For instance:

"(JVG) had decided he would like to return. Tuesday, Morey described the decision as mutual."

What the hell does that mean? The "decision"? What decision? JVG has clearly decided he wants to come back and coach, but the Rockets' position is ambiguous. It's mutual? So where's the damn 4 year extension? What are these reported conditions under which JVG would return/the Rockets would take him back?

As for the guys who are ready to pop the Champagne corks and celebrate JVG's departure and Adelman's entrace, um, are you kidding me? Look, go to basketball-reference.com and take a look at the careers of these two coaches.

Adelman is an offensive mastermind? For one thing, the offensive schemes of those excellent Sac teams is largely attributed to Eddie Jordan, who implemented Pete Carill's (sp?) Princeton offense (with Carill also an assistant coach with Sac as tutor): backdoors, sharp, timely cuts, precise passing schemes. And before you jump down JVG for not implementing some a similar scheme, remember that the Princeton offense's success is contingent on having excellent shooters and passers. And regardless of the offense used, check out the personnel on those teams: Webber, Peja, Bibby, Brad Miller, Divac, with guys off the bench like Bobby Jackson, Pollard, Turkoglu, Peeler, Jim Jackson.

These teams were STACKED and all the starters were in their primes, save a still very effective Divac. And every one of the starters were excellent passers. Webber and Divac alone were two of the best passing big men in NBA history. I mean, Bibby, a very good passer, was the worst passer in the starting lineup. And the starters were excellent shooters, except Webber, a good shooter. And what happened when that talent dissipated, through injuries, trades, guys passing their peaks? The team went to hell.

Adelman is just like a million other NBA coaches, he's fine, he's decent, and his success is contingent on the talent available. It's nothing against him; that describes 95% of all NBA head coaches over the last 50 years. It's that 5%, maybe only 1%, who really make a difference, the rare coaches that coax W/L records out of teams that bely their talent. The fact that JVG has "delivered results" with the Rockets and Knicks teams he's had, is remarkable. The Rockets have two brilliant starters, a very good non-shot-creating third guy, in Battier, and... Deke is great for 5 minute stretches, but you know, center ain't exactly a weak spot for us. At this point in his career, Howard is a solid set shooter from 10 or 12 feet. Alston protects the ball and... Hayes is a terrific rebounder and defender and a good bet to score within two feet of the rim, without a shot-blocker near by. And the kids? I feel good about the futures of the young guys on the team, but right now they're clueless. That isn't JVG not knowing young players, it's just the nature of young players. Most of them take a while. And remember, we're not talking lottery talent here. I think they'll get good, in time, but there's no way that any of the young guys, other than Head, a late first-rounder who's largely one-dimensional at this point, would crack the rotations of any team in the NBA, regardless of the coach they play for. They're just not ready. On those Sac teams, Head is the third guard off the bench. Here, he's started half the time. People think JVG's offense is too simple? To predictable? That's what happens when you have one perimeter player who can create shots for himself and teammates, and one post scorer. That the Rockets have had this much success, with Yao and TMac being out so often, is remarkable.

All right, I've said enough. I've avoided most of these JVG threads and maybe this isn't the best place for it, but it always gets to me when fans delight at the prospect of ditching JVG. He has one of the finest basketball minds among NBA coaches, going back as far as you like, and losing him would be devastating. Do check out basketball-reference and check out the biggest name coaches and the talent they had over their careers and compare it to what JVG has had in his career (and Adelman, check out those Portland teams too), and reconsider your position on him.

Peace,

M.