1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Chronicle: Judge finds Rockets star not guilty of DWI

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Jun 25, 2002.

1. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/1470173

June 25, 2002, 3:58PM

Judge finds Rockets star not guilty of DWI
    By CAROL CHRISTIAN
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

Houston Rockets guard Steve Francis was found not guilty this afternoon of driving while intoxicated.

Concluding the two-day bench trial, County Court-at-Law Judge James E. Anderson said he had reasonable doubt that Francis was legally drunk when a Houston officer arrested him Dec. 16.

Francis, 25, had turned left onto Fountainview from Westheimer against a red light about 4:45 a.m. Francis admitted running the light, but said he thought it was about to turn green and there was no oncoming traffic.

Officer Charles Allen, who stopped Francis' white Mercedes-Benz, testified that he smelled alcohol and asked Francis to perform sobriety tests.

Based on those tests at the scene, he arrested Francis and took him to the police station for more tests.

The 6-foot-3 Francis, who said he had had the equivalent of four mixed drinks over a four-hour period, declined to take a breath test. He offered to take a blood test but that is not routinely done.

Defense lawyer Rusty Hardin said Francis' innocence was evident in a video made by the police.

"I think people need to understand that any time you've had something to drink and if you decline to take the intoxylizer, police are going to file charges," Hardin said. "It's as simple as that. Whether they think you're intoxicated or not, they'll do it."

The basketball star, who missed a number of games last season due to an ankle injury and severe headaches, told reporters outside the courtroom he was grateful to have the matter finished before next week's annual draft of players.

Francis opted for a bench trial by the judge rather than a jury trial on the advice of his lawyers, Hardin and Chip Lewis.

Hardin said a jury trial would have taken longer.

Prosecutor Chay Taylor said she accepted the verdict and had agreed to a bench trial, knowing that Anderson is a fair judge

2. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

OMG,
    I had assumed he was guilty. Mea culpa.

3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Good news. One less scandal to worry about.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

So he turned left onto an empty street in the middle of the night. Damn, they made it seem like he sped through an intersection or something.

5. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I am so happy right now. I just saw it on ESPN. I knew that Steve was innocent.

6. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

well that is good news

7. DCballer

DCballer Member

Hell Yeah!!!

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great news, indeed. Maybe Steve can relax now and enjoy the draft. :)

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

yea, very good news. I didn't know if he was guilty, but cool that he's not. DWI is a serious accusation.

That makes 2 good Stevie news. Now we just need to hear that he's studying Kidd tapes on how to push the ball up the floor.

*wink* *wink* ;)

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's great news!
    "They tried to charge me, but I am not guilty"-Francis

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The M*A*S*H karma comes through for Steve...

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Told ya. . money talks BS runs the marathon

I did not think he was guilty
    but if he was one of the po folx. . . he'd be in jail

Rocket River
    WAY TO GO STEVE. . . .learning to take a charge

#12 Rocket River, Jun 26, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2002
  13. jwun

jwun Member

Thats great, maybe now people will stop calling him scum and a poor role model.

Thank you M*A*S*H* ers

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well, the intersection of Fountainview and Westheimer is never empty. Maybe the way was clear, but its not like it was a deserted street.

15. Sphere

Sphere Member

You guy are ALL crazy if you think this guy was innocent. Just another case of a rich athelete getting away with an illegal act.

If it were you or me, we would have been found guilty.

If you don't take a breathalizer test, than you're pretty much admitting guilt.

I like Francis, but he got away with it. Good for him I guess...eventhough I'm sure his wallet is lighter.

16. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

You NEVER take the breathilizer. It would be foolish and they are prone to error. Blood tests are more accurate, but cops don't like for you to do that.

Were you there? How do you know he was guilty or not? There's also a difference between legally drunk and drunk, imo.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Steve was actually guilty I don't believe that he would have offered to take the blood test. He didn't have to offer to do that, and yet he did. That doesn't sound like someone who has a guilty concience.

18. Sphere

Sphere Member

You're right, I wasn't there.
    Just him and a cop with more money in his pocket.
    But supposibly he failed the first test (the line) that would indicate you are illegally drunk...which would than cause a secondary test, the breathalizer or blood test.

Whatever he was "innocent!" Not like I wanted our best player locked up or anything.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Couldn't he have offiered to take the blood test because he knew the cop wouldn't do it? Do you think Steve refused the breathalyzer but suggested a blood test because he wanted to be sure the results were as accurate as possible?

NBA Roookie Orientation:
    "Alright, boys, now that you are all millionaires and celebrities, there are a few things you'll have to know. First, if you get pulled over for DWI, do NOT take a breathalyzer test. Instead, say you're willing to do a blood test -- the cops won't do it, but it'll give your million dollar lawyer something to hang his hat on when he's mounting your defense. Now, as for the league's drug testing -- Lamar, I told you you need to pay attention -- when you take the league drug tests...."

When Pippen was pulled over, did he offer to do a blood test?

As for the acquittal: he may not be innocent but he is not guilty. They didn't have enough evidence to convict, which is all that matters to me.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Count me in as a M*A*S*H'er. Is there a position available for M*A*S*H court jester? Sergeant of Arms? or perhaps Minister of Information?