1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Chronicle: James delays decision

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Brando2101, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

"Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson and guard Mike James, Dawson's primary free-agent target, left Las Vegas on Monday night to return to Houston with no indication where James' career will take him next.

James met with Dawson and Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson on Monday, the day James hoped to reach a decision about the offers he had received from the Rockets, Mavericks and Minnesota Timberwolves.

But after another day of discussions, James returned home to consider his options, planning to reach a decision today. Players can begin signing NBA contracts Wednesday.

"It's wide-open still," said Bill Duffy, James' agent. "It's up to Mike and Angela (James' wife). He has been all over the place, playing for various teams. It will be a family decision. It's a composite of three or four things."

With all three teams over the salary cap, none could offer more than the mid-level exception, expected to start at about $5 million. Maximum raises could net James between $23 million and $24 million in a free-agent deal (depending on the exact amount of the exception, which will determined by Wednesday).

Duffy said last week that the teams were in discussions with the Toronto Raptors about a sign-and-trade deal in which James could be paid more than the mid-level exception, but Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo seems hesitant to add any long-term salary obligations to his rebuilding plans.

If James chose the Rockets, they could offer Colangelo a trade exception worth $4.2 million in which he would not have to take back players. That would not earn James more than a four-year, full mid-level deal unless the mid-level exception is set at less than expected.

Duffy said the offers are "for the most part" comparable and added that there was some information he was seeking from the league. He would not say if any team had offered a longer deal than the others.

James averaged 20.3 points (on 46.9 percent shooting and 44.2 percent 3-point shooting) with the Raptors last season, when he had career bests in scoring, assists (5.8 per game) and rebounds (3.3).

In 27 games with the Rockets in the 2004-05 season, all but five off the bench, James averaged 12.4 points, 2.9 assists and 3.2 rebounds, but he was traded to the Raptors before training camp for Rafer Alston.

James has often said his goal is to return to Houston, where he is building a home.

"I would love to go straight from my home to the arena," James said in May. "If I can do that the rest of my career, that's what I want to do.

"This season, every part of my game got better. Now, my main focus is coming back to H-Town."

But Duffy said last week and again Monday that since James has gone through the free-agency process, each opportunity has impressed him enough to have negated the Rockets' initial lead.

Of James' initial preference to return to Houston, Duffy said: "I don't think that's a significant aspect."

James' agent is working everyone. I wonder if he's serious about James' hometown preference not mattering. Maybe he doesn't want the other teams to think James isn't serious about signing with them so they will stay in negotiations and drive up the Rockets offer.

#1 Brando2101, Jul 11, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  2. qzf2qk

qzf2qk Member

He is going to Dallas

3. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Actually Miami is more like it if that rumored trade is OKd.

Houston has too many needs to put it all in MJ. They can go 5 year MLE and that WILL seal the deal but they want to SnT with Toronto and use the TE. That makes the Rockets offer less attractive then the rest. As the agent just said, the hometown discount/want to be home credit is no more.

Where ever he ends up, it's NOT Houston. If he somehow ends up here, then he loves his wive more than I give him credit for. That's the only reason he would choose to go with Houston. Stay home and be with wife and kids.

4. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

He's coming to Houston.

5. Diaw

Diaw Member

it's taking too much time, let's go after some other player like bonzi wells ... if james really wants to come to houston, why let us wait like this ? he'll sign elsewhere and we will have nobody else left to sign :(

6. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

That can be a compelling reason...hopefully mrs. james is using her best persuasive techniques. ;)

He should stay home and play...he is wanting (and deserves) the full 5 year MLE from the Rockets and they seem to be holding back knowing that to win a championship at least two pieces must be added beyond MJ.

Unfortunately for MJ, the Rockets are right, and he must choose if he wants to put his family's preference first, or put what is best for MJ ($ and respect) first.

I am optimisitic, I feel 'plan b' could turn out even better than MJ, but will be happy either way.

The man can flat out ball.

These could be good times in '06-'07. :)

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

It seems like no team is offering him 5yrs. It'd be crazy for the Rockets offer him that if the others aren't.

8. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

Bad idea. Ron Artest has stated he would Kill Bonzi if he doesn't resign with Sacramento. If I was Bonzi and Ron-ron was threatening to kill me if I didn't resign, I'd be like "give me a pen, now!"

9. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

at this point my feelings on james are that he's loving the attention.

its a bit like he's the best looking guy in his high school , and a few of the better looking ladies are fighting over him, offering themselves any many different ways.

may aswell string 'em along.

10. cmellon

cmellon Member

Another article
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2515905

James 'wowed' by Johnson, approaches final answerBy Sam Alipour
    Special to ESPN.com

The NBA's top remaining free-agent point guard should be off the market soon.

Mike James is expected to announce his next team Tuesday after meeting face-to-face Monday in Las Vegas with Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson. James then returned to his offseason home in Houston to choose between the Mavericks, Houston Rockets and Minnesota Timberwolves, all of whom have been negotiating with James during the Vegas Summer League. It's believed that each of those teams is offering the 31-year-old a three-year deal starting at the $5 million mid-level exception.

The front-runner?

Judging by James' comments over the weekend in Los Angeles at a charity basketball game hosted by Baron Davis and Paul Pierce, it's the Mavericks.

And that's largely because of the former pass-first point guard chasing the shoot-first point guard who's coming off a breakout season in Toronto.

"The biggest 'wow' in this whole situation has been Avery Johnson," James says. "I respect him as a coach, but we have a relationship beyond the court. We've been friends for some years now. I've always respected Avery, even as a player when he had that broke jump shot. But he has a ring and he knows what it takes to win. He's been the person who has wowed me the most through this process."

James added that potential suitors must meet two requirements.

Championship contention is No. 1.

"These three teams want to win," James said. "Kevin Garnett tells me he doesn't want the playoffs, he wants to win the championship. Houston wants to get back to that point, and they've already got two superstars.

"Dallas was two games away," James continued, noting that the Mavs are closest to meeting the first prerequisite. "That's a very important factor for me."

No. 2?

"I want a team that wants to win, but also believes that I'm a significant piece," James said. "It's about trust. That's one of the main things I'm focused on. Do you really believe in me?

"These teams tell me they do. For them to say, 'Mike James, you're a significant piece,' that humbles me. With all the stuff I've been through -- everyone telling me I can't, can't, can't -- I'm humbled that these three teams believe in me."

While he stops short of requiring a spot in the starting lineup, James isn't shy about his belief that he should remain a starter.

"I was top 20 in every category besides rebounding, blocked shots and steals," James said. "There's over 400 players in the NBA, so I think I've proven what I'm capable of. All I can do is continue to work and erase all the critics minds."

And according to James, the critics have been hard at work, hounding him throughout his career. Following a stellar college career at Duquesne, James went undrafted before eventually singing with the Heat as a free agent in 2001. Over the next four seasons, James bounced between Boston, Detroit, Milwaukee, and Houston, respectively, before the Rockets dealt him Toronto on the first day of training camp last October.

James went on to establish new career bests in minutes per game (37.0), assists (5.8), rebounds (3.3) and points (20.3). He became just the second undrafted player in NBA history, after John Starks, to average 20 points in a season.

While some might credit the jump in production to contract-year motivation, James says it was a product of increased playing time, a lifetime of hard work and a love for the game that saved him.

"If it wasn't for the game of basketball, I know what I would have done, and it wouldn't have been nice," he said, referring to his rough childhood in Amityville, N.Y. "The only other thing I knew was the streets. Basketball was my way out, so the only thing I can do to give back to the game is play with my heart."

While James continues to ponder a decision that will alter the course of his career, he already knows where he'll be when that decision is announced.

He dreams of a press conference.

"I never had the chance to wear that hat on the podium in front of the media," James said. "I told my wife, I'm going to the podium because I've never done that before. For me to just do that once, I'm awed by it. I'm thankful."

Sam Alipour is a contributor to ESPN The Magazine.

11. jlwee

jlwee Member

Let's see, Mike James

(1) has won a championship with the Pistons,
    (2) has been the main man in toronto and
    (3) never sign a HUGE contract and this is his last chance!!!

therefore, there is no doubt he will go to the place where he can get the more money. IMO, he is waiting for sign and trade so he can more money out of it!

12. compucomp

compucomp Member

He's not getting the sign and trade, unless the Heat jump in at the last moment and trade James Posey.

Based on what he said.... he'll pick the Mavericks. They were in the NBA Finals last year, and can offer him the starting SG job. I see him easily beating out Devin Harris and Adrian Griffin, who were starting, and Stack seems very well suited to the 6th man role. Didn't see anything there about pleasing his family.

I hope that I am wrong, and that when I wake up tomorrow I will see on ESPN that James has signed with the Rockets. But with this last article it seems he's going to Dallas.

13. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Way to go Rockets front office.

Give away a guy, then put all your effort into getting him back, then watch him go sign with your biggest motherf*cking rival in the league while all the other worthy candidates are making contract agreements left and right.

If James really does go to Dallas, the "M" in the Rockets' MLE should just stand for "mediocre" from now on because that's the kind of talent they'll be getting for it.

This better not happen, but I can't say I didn't see it coming from a mile away if it does.

:mad:

14. 99bb

99bb Member

He is looking for a better offer only.
    When he gets a good contract, he swings back to mediocre again.
    Just forget him. :rolleyes:

15. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Is that why James is frustrated? He is not getting 5 years, even Minnesota is only offering him 4years. He got no love. :D

Link= http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/15012223.htm

16. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Sounds like he has received 4 year MLE offers, if Feigen's numbers are correct.

18. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

The Rockets are so dumb. They need to move quickly on some other free-agent or lose everything. If he wanted to sign with the rockets so badly he would have done it already. I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If Dallas really is offering him a starting position at the 2 then I really don't blame him for going to the Mavs.

Ug.

20. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

pretty much summed up what i was gonna post.

you can blame the dude if he goes to dallas. imagine him talking to jvg and les... then an hour or two later picture him talking with avery and cuban. sigh... i have bad feeling about this. :(

soooo... "to win you MUST rescind!" (the ghey trade... if this falls through. heheh)