1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Chron]The first day of the rest of Daryl Morey's life

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jun 27, 2007.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/franblinebury/2007/06/the_first_day_of_the_rest_of_d.html

A couple of things in this article that don't fit.
    1st - Fran describes Williams as a big time rebounder. In 32 minutes per game Williams only averaged 6.9 rebounds per game. That is not a big rebounder...that is poor rebounding.

2nd - He discribes Fazekas as a decent shooter but increadably undermotivated as a competitor. He is suppose to lack athleticism and yet still somehow manages to get 11 rebounds and 1.5 blocks a game while not being a good competitor. Makes no sense.

-Maybe if Williams competed as hard as Fazekas for rebounds he would be the next Dennis Rodman.

2. Possum

Possum Member

Another waste of space on :rolleyes: the sports page by Fran Dinglberry!

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Way to open up a column with a sociopathic fantasy.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Fazekas rarely played against stiff competition, but the same can be said about Millsap coming out of Lousiana Tech.

Also, a number of college players have had bad games against particularly stiff competition in college when they are on inferior mid-major teams... doesn't mean the kid is a stiff.

I like Fazekas.

5. rocketsfaninsa

I like the fact that he didn't include Glen "Baby Fat" Davis in there, the guy is the next Tractor Traylor, mark my words. I hope he is moving up to take Morris Almond or a PF.

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I love how everyone nit picks at Sean Williams rebounds.

Chuck Hayes' best season at Kentucky...263 rebs in 995 min = 10.6 rebs/40

Sean Williams' last season at BC...104 rebs in 483 min = 8.6 rebs/40.

Obviously, Williams is a terrible rebounder. :rolleyes:

7. dookiester

dookiester Member

wtf opens up a column with a line like that....fire this guy already. or institutionalize him. one or the other.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah, but two rebounds less per 40 minutes and what? 5 inches taller? How much more athletic? If you could put the heart and mind of Chuck Hayes in the body of somebody like Sean Williams or Stromile Swift, good god.

9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I allways thought it was Fran Tackleberry..... :D

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've been looking at Williams' play in college and freaked out when I saw his numbers against Kansas this past December :

Here's a recap of that game with quotes : http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/recap?gid=200612230287

His line that game :

19 pts, 15 rebs, 7 blocks, 3 steals

11. crash5179

If you want to do Fazekas per 40 its at 14.5 rebounds. Davis is at about 12.2 rebounds per 40 minutes. In fact 12 of the 20 Power Forwards graded at realgm Just By The Numbers http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2128 reached double digit rebounds per 40 minutes. Had Williams been included in that group he would have been ranked 16 out of 20.

As it stands he was graded against 12 centers and of those 12 centers he is 11th on the list. The only one on the list besides Williams that could not get at least 9 rebounds per 40 minutes was a Freshman, Spencer Hawes.

6.9 rebounds a game is not good for a super athletic power forward that averaged 32 minutes.

If you can only average 6.9 a game per 32 minutes in college do you think that number is going to go up in the pros? :rolleyes:

12. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

What's inside Daryl Morey?

I suppose we could just tie him down to a table, get out a set of ginsu knives and cut him open from stem to stern.

But that could get so messy.

And what if we liked what we found? It might be hard to put him back together again.

:confused:
    what the heck? :confused:

13. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

If Fran likes what he finds I hope it's not right after he removes Morey's clothing! Somebody cue up the soundtrack for The Crying Game. :D :D

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

DoD, it's one very good game... but the 15-game season as a whole (and his overall career) is somewhat subpar.

Rather than comparing him to Eddie Griffin as many have, I think he's more like Stromile Swift. Eddie was more troubled than Williams, he also was a much better rebounder. Williams, like Stro, seems to be basically not too bright and inconsistent on the court despite atheleticism.

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I just hope that Friday morning is a good one for Morey!! Yet I must tell you that I am holding my breath hoping against all hopes that Morey doesn't make a huge blunder on Thursday night.
    For 25 years I have followed the Rockets through thick and thin and feel like it is about time for our team to rebound into the lime light;to think that coach 'A' wanted Ron Artest but not Morey; so who do we get in his place?
    Fans need to pray that Morey gets devine help on Thursday evening- from what I have been hearing about his thinking & planning ,he needs it!!! :p

16. crash5179

Who said Morey did not want Artest? From everything I've read it was the Maloofs that killed the deal because they felt like they would be helping out Adelman and they did not want to do that.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oh, I know. I was just shocked to see what he could do against a good team. Of course that means he may have stunk it up against worse teams.

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

19. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

I laugh everytime i see someone say somethin like this... Glen will be a beast in the nba just watch.

20. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

TC did you used to play GRIT? Just wondering.