1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Blue Devils

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by groovemachine, May 18, 2022.

1. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

The sky is not falling … a glass half full opinion is that 3 is as good as 1 if 17 were to be used on Mark Williams.

Green/Banchero/Williams should have built in chemistry, and the redundancy concerns with Sengun are speculative.

A front court rotation of Sengun, Banchero, Williams, Garuba provides plenty of balance.

JusBleezy, red5rocket, xaos and 2 others like this.
  2. Le$$

Le$$ Member

https://www.si.com/nba/rockets/news...ls#gid=ci02a1025670082661&pid=usatsi_18010965

Yep read this on si.com. Im am down for this big time.

Banchero and Williams sounds like a 100% win win.

JusBleezy, red5rocket, xaos and 2 others like this.
  3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Not been a fan of Banchero until the tourney where he seemed to step it up. Love Mark Williams as a rim-protector-- seems under-appreciated.

4. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve seen a wide range for Williams in mocks. Ultimately, I don’t think he will be there at #17. Maybe use Wood+17 to move up to 12. I would be very happy with that return.

5. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

I get the feeling both Banchero & Williams are going to move up draft boards.

6. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

No effing way he drops to 17

saleem and xaos like this.
  7. xaos

xaos Member

I'm no draft expert or claim to be one but Mark Williams seems a underrated as a draft prospect. Maybe it's based on the way the game is played today with its spacing.

I've only seen him a few games but he looks like his rim protection will transfer over to the NBA

groovemachine likes this.
  8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think you can convince Charlotte to take a Wood/17 package for 13 to get Williams.

groovemachine, theDude and giddyup like this.
  9. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i really dont see how orlando passes on banchero. he fills so many holes for them. maybe if suggs lobbies for Chet hard.

furthermore i dont see any scenario where we take williams. if it hasn't been clear, the FO is completely behind Silas's 5-out vision and i don't think they want any 5 that can't shoot the three. (and before you say "well HEY what about Sengun" i think they clearly project him developing 3 point range.

rpr52121 likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Mark Williams could go as high at Portland at #7.

BHannes2BHonest, xaos and ThatBoyNick like this.
  11. raining threes

I'm wondering what it might take to trade for Issac

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I think Sam Bowie and Greg Oden makes them think twice about reaching at 7 for a big man but you never know! If Dame is going to stick around they better give him a secondary player that can score and take the pressure off. I think Keegan Murray makes alot of sense for Portland.

red5rocket and groovemachine like this.
  13. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

14. shinjirod

shinjirod Member

My only concern (and I say this as a Duke fan, please don't kill me, I'm not one of the terrible ones) is that physical teams that worked hard on the offensive glass absolutely destroyed Williams and Banchero. North Carolina was the clearest example of it.

You can make the argument that UNC's forwards and center were a tough matchup because they were seniors and upper classmen, and more developed physically, but it did not look good at all, and happened with several other opponents.

I'm with DRock that we definitely need some strong anchors in paint and wings to cover a bit for Sengun and (for the moment) Green, and Banchero wouldn't improve that and would need help. Just dunno if Williams has enough upside and room to grow in those aspects to eventually cover for all of that.

Love him and Banchero because fanboy, but being slightly realistic has me a bit concerned.

cmoak1982, saleem and Nook like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Keegan Murray does make a lot of sense for Portland but I suspect he will be gone by #7. Portland intends to try to contend and want a big that can cover a little on the perimeter and block shots and finish as the trailer. It is a little higher than I expected him to go but he fits what they want if they don't deal the pick.

shinjirod and Verbal Christ like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

I really hope you are right, because that would mean Smith or possibly even Holmgren is going to the Rockets.

Presti likes long guys that be rangy defensively as well.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yeah, he measured at 7'2 in shoes. I think his wing span is 7' 6, if I'm not mistaken.

csc177 likes this.
  18. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Stepping up in the tourney was super impressive. It is definitely a skill to raise your game in high stakes games. Look at Butler

19. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are a lot of things to like about Banchero. Great basketball pedigree, Mom is the all-time UW womens basketball scorer. Playing for Coach K at Duke is probably the best NBA prep you can have. He carries himself with a swagger unlike the other top big men. I'm not worried at all if that's who the Rockets get at 3.

JusBleezy, Ekiu and groovemachine like this.
  20. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ll ask this because I legitimately don’t know the answer.

Is it a good idea to hire a coach with a specific system that doesn’t fit anyone on the team, then add players that do fit that system?

Is it better to add the best players available, then install a system that best utilizes their skills?

Which method do most teams follow? Which historically has more success? Could rigidity to one system be the reason Hornacek and Weaver walked?