1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Aeros relocating?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Beavis Stiffler, Dec 27, 2012.

1. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

This was the logical conclusion of the arena referendum. Just when I was starting to like the Rockets, they do this.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

While I'm no hockey fan in the least bit, going to a game at the Cedar Park Center is quite nice. It's a great facility.

You are wrong on one account, though. The City of Cedar Park owns the arena. Hicks is the operator.

3. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

sucks, aeros games were somuch more fun then rockets games, get like 3 scalped tix for 20$ sit right in front of the action. sigh

4. Beavis Stiffler

5. Beavis Stiffler

It's all about the money. Simple as that. :(

6. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

are they taking the franchise history too. or just the players and equipment.. are they gonna take the banners and what not?

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

$42,000 a game is a stupid amount of rent for a minor league game. The revenues simply do not justify it. My guess is that Les knew that, and essentially used that number to run the Aeros out of town.

8. jdh008

jdh008 Member

That's my assumption.

As I've said before, I'm sad the Aeros are leaving town, even though I've only been to a handful of games in my lifetime. Being at the game last weekend made me realize how much I will miss them because I had a great time.

9. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I blame Dwight Howard for this whole debacle.

10. ReverseBjorn

ReverseBjorn Member

well, the good guys got a playoff birth last night since they beat OKC. looks like we get a chance to see the aeros a couple of times more. let's pack out Toyota Center, they deserve it.

11. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Seconded. Playoff tickets officially go on sale on Monday.

12. TISNF

TISNF Member

This is sad. :(

13. jdh008

jdh008 Member

The Aeros fought back from a 2-0 deficit after one period to win 5-2 on the road against San Antonio.

The last game of the regular season is tomorrow night at 4 PM in Oklahoma City.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Why would les want the Aeros to leave? Making way for him to purchase an NHL team?

Unless the toycen can do better than 24k a night for those aeros games it makes no sense to run them out like that. Every vacant night the toycen has, Les loses money.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That only happens for as long as it takes for him to buy an AHL franchise and move them here so he gets alllllll the revenue from hockey nights at Toyota Center.

As long as Les is in control, the NHL ain't coming to Houston. I'd be shocked.

16. Beavis Stiffler

Let's make it a Sunday sweep of Clutch City against OKC, Aeros vs. Barons in the afternoon and then Rockets vs. Thunder at night.

17. jdh008

jdh008 Member

The Aeros drop their last regular season game ever (for now) by the score of 3-0. That's not great for momentum heading into the postseason, but ultimately, the game meant very little.

18. Beavis Stiffler

The Aeros will play against Grand Rapids Griffins in the 1st round.

It's Best of 5 and the AHL playoff format is the same as the MLB playoffs last year. The lower-seeded team host the first two games and the higher-seeded team hosts the next three games.

19. Beavis Stiffler

Game 2 is today. The puck drops at 5:05 p.m.

The Aeros won Game 1 by a score of 3-0 over the Grand Rapids Griffins.

They will go for a 2-0 series lead against the Griffins before heading out to Grand Rapids for the next 3 games of a Best-of-5.

20. jdh008

jdh008 Member

It's entirely likely that the last Aeros home game ever is just about to finish up at Toyota Center. The Griffins are up 3-0 on the Aeros with just a few minutes remaining in the game. If this score holds, the Aeros will have to win two games in Grand Rapids to keep their season going.