1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Aeros relocating?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Beavis Stiffler, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Jonny Hochelaga

Jonny Hochelaga New Member

The Aeros will NOT be relocating to Sioux Falls. Their new arena (the Denny Sanford Premier Center) is under construction and won't be completed for 18 months, and there is NO other facility available to them in the city. There is a city-owned arena there that was built in the early '60s that seats under 5,000, home to the USHL (junior A). That team (the Sioux Falls Stampede) has the hockey rights to the facility, and are not going to voluntarily go out of business to accomodate the Wild.
    The Aeros will be moving to Des Moines, Iowa, despite it's status as a 2-time AHL loser (Iowa Stars, now the Texas Stars, 2005-2008, Iowa Chops, Anaheim's top farm team, 2008-2009). Wells Fargo Arena, a state-of-the-art facility (hockey capacity 15,181) opened in 2005 and is operated by Comcast Spectacor, the Philadelphia Flyers arena management firm. The team will likely be rechristened the Iowa Wild.
    Des Moines is 245 miles due south of St. Paul, MN, and are connected by Interstate 35, the equivalent of Houston to Dallas. Greater Des Moines has a population of 575,000. The local economy's not great, but if the Wild are going to be forced to subsidize their top farm team, either by the breathtaking greed of Mr. Alexander (who demands to be the highest paid landlord in the AHL), or by potential operating losses in an inferior market much closer to home, with REASONABLE lease terms in a modern arena whose management appreciates their presence, they will choose the latter. As would anyone who understands business.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Wow, one post.

Jonny must know something. Dude hit it on the head.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/202049101.html

Iowa bound?

Expect an announcement in the next couple of weeks that the Wild’s long relationship with the Houston Aeros is ending. The Wild has not been able to come to terms on a new lease at the Toyota Center.

The Wild is expected to relocate its American Hockey League affiliate to Des Moines, where it will play at Wells Fargo Arena.

3. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Dallas has a pretty good fan base for the Stars. I don't see why not having an NHL team wouldn't draw in fans.

I think if there was a team to start up, fans would be drawn in..

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nope, not enough demand for hockey. Maybe Les can fill the empty space with Arena Football? You know that will get more attendance.

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

The Thunderbears were a failure. Les struck out in getting the Dynamos. Saw the writing on the wall with the Comets and sold them just in time. Maybe Les should just stick to the Rockets.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

It has to do with keeping Toyota Center making money. If Les could make money having weekly Bible study at TC he'd do it.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

The problem is he's a greedy b*stard just like Jonny alluded to, and people aren't as dumb or desperate like Les thinks they are (except for Hilton Koch).

8. REEKO_HTOWN

Chill. Toyota Center is like any other building on prime real estate. It's a great Arena with great facilities. Les isn't going to just eat the cost of renting the place out for fun. You wouldn't rent out your property for les than what it's worth right?

9. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

There's a fine line between making money and gouging the price. He probably tried to lowball AEG for the Dynamo too.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

Sounds to me like you just don't like Les.

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Yeah you nailed me bro. I'm gonna make and sell my own T-shirt line, "Keep Les Rich", want one? (would go well with the rockets season ticket holders)

12. REEKO_HTOWN

As a STH I'm glad Les is willing to spend the max to sign Harden and the Max next year. Aren't you?

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

As a non STH, I'm glad he is too. And he's glad you are renewing too. win-win-really really win scenario.

14. Beavis Stiffler

I feel bad for Chilly the Aeros mascot and the Aero Dynamics cheerleaders. Maybe they can get hired by some other Houston pro sports team. It's just like when Youppi joined the Montreal Canadiens after the Expos moved to Washington.

15. Poloshirtbandit

I think the Dynamics must have quit already. Went to a game Sunday night and there were only two of them there. Really bummed out about this. Wasn't that big of a hockey fan, but really enjoyed going to the games and they had some really awesome deals if you bought multi-game tickets.

16. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Agreed. Not a hockey guy either, but thanks to a guy I know, I was able to get some free tickets from time to time and I always had a good time.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is on Les and it's consistent with how he's viewed both the Aeros and hockey in Houston.

If you don't follow the Aeros or care...it's no big deal, obviously. But if you care about hockey in Houston...even if it's minor league hockey...this sucks.

18. Rock It

Rock It Member

Houston is not a hockey city I have been to two aeros games and the tickets were free I didn't pay for them it sucks to see any team leave there city but maybe this is for the best if the comets couldn't survive it was only a matter of time for the aeros.

19. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Their has been bad blood between Les and the Aeros organization for a long time. I think it goes back to when the Aeros bought the lease at The Summit/Compaq Center and Les thought it was beneath him to be paying rent to a minor league hockey team.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This has zero to do with how the Aeros were supported here in Houston. Games have been well attended relative to other teams in the AHL. They've been here since 1994.

They're leaving because of a lease negotiation....not because there wasn't fan support.