1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston: A City Run by Inept Officials

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rockets94-95, Nov 27, 2022.

1. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Dumbass dems

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

L: This is Abbott & Cruz’s fault
    R: This is Turner & Lina’s fault
    [​IMG]

9 hours is unacceptable.
    Lifted Tuesday?! (Per the article)

tinman likes this.
  4. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Yes and if you watch the video interview (included in the article) with the person in charge of water for the city, she said she’s not a water expert when asked about the risk of drinking water when the pressure drops below accepted regulatory standards. Total incompetence.

tinman likes this.
  5. HTM

HTM Member

Does anyone look around and think "this is a well run city" - I mean, maybe in comparison to Mogadishu, but not like, say, Copenhagen.

I do my best to deal with any public service as little as I can.

rockets94-95 likes this.
  6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Hidalgo is worthless

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.khou.com/article/news/l...ston/285-861d9a5a-df37-493e-b14c-a3fdf0be396c

Houston Public Works issued the notice on Sunday. City officials said they expect it to be lifted on Tuesday. The city said it will notify customers when the water is safe to consume without boiling.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

the video was bad
    lots of people going to get diarrhea

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

a notice should’ve been sent out immediately to everyone like an Amber alert

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

My favorite part. They admit to having backup generators but they “don’t turn on automatically”. Jesus Christ…this is our ****ing water system. Inept!

tinman likes this.
  11. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Which means we'll hear about it on the news 10 hours after it's safe to drink.

They could send out messages about COVID spreading rapidly, but not about the bad drinking water that will leave our insides shredded like a late night bender at taco bell.

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Only in Texas can u experience living life as a third world survivor whether it's freezing to death or having to boil water for survival. Maybe instead of wasting time tackling crt and banning books, the republican governor could tackle the power outrage problem that continues to plague the state.

Texas encountering power outrages like its a third world country, pathetic.

Andre0087 likes this.
  13. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Ugh. I operate a small food manufacturing plant and can't work today and likely tomorrow either. Good thing I checked the news last night so we didn't start working this morning. If I didn't stop in time, I'd either have to toss out thousands of dollars worth of product or somehow prove to USDA that my water and ice wasn't contaminated.

How in the world did the generator not automatically kick on? Why did it take so long to get the information out to the public?

Oddly enough, the nearby McDonalds and Chick-Fil-A were still open this morning. How do they get around it?

tinman and Ubiquitin like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Everything comes with a cost.

Something like this would most likely not happen in Chicago or New York City.

However, the taxes and revenue in Chicago and NYC are a lot higher, and the government had a lot more workers and has passed laws that a lot of Houstonians would likely balk at.

In Chicago for instance, the city is actually a lot cleaner than Houston, even though there are so many people in a small area. That is because Chicago constantly has city workers picking up trash, literally cleaning the streets etc. That comes with a cost though, as the workers are not cheap and the taxes are not. You have to pay for a sticker to park in the city if you live in the city for example, and that can be several hundred dollars.

With Houston continuing to grow, at some point there will be a show down over whether the city and county should continue to be ran like a smaller town or whether it needs to go the way of Chicago or NYC.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This was a yearly occurrence in Austin. The infra in Texas sucks. Unspeakable that it took them that long to issue notice though.

Ubiquitin and Andre0087 like this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Resulted from power loss though, right? Power/electrical = grid = state level? City failed, yes, failed to consider the state's ineptitude, which I agree, is a huge failure. GOOD LUCK

17. tinman

Supporting Member

As long as the chicken is deep fried
    It’s safe to eat
    @Jontro

Jontro likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

media conspiracy

Ubiquitin and tinman like this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

https://www.click2houston.com/news/...r-after-citywide-boil-water-order-was-issued/

What caused the power outage?

“A plant electrician arrived at the East Water Purification Plant at 11 a.m. to troubleshoot the problem,” Turner said. “Further investigation by Houston Water found that two transformers at plant one went offline due to a ground trip and current overload. The electrical feeder from plant three also experienced a ground fault trip. Both Saber, the electrical contractor, and CenterPoint Energy were on site to investigation how not one transformer faulted but the redundant transformer also failed.”

Why didn’t the generators kick in as soon as the power went out?

“What I’m being told is even when you have the grid providing power and you have your generators to step in, when these two transformers fail it prevented the power to the system,” Turner said.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yada yada yada - in Japan you get 90 year olds ready to dive into the water and risk their lives to fix a nuclear reactor. But in LAZY USA nobody can be bothered to even send out a email on their BELOVED Thanksgiving (full of bland, mushy, boring ass food). GOOD LUCK & lulz

Do NOT @ me about your mom's cold, underseasoned stuffing or mushy baby's food sweet potato mush-mush.

Nook likes this.